M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2013 ML350 brake light replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350, 2020 GLE350
Question 2013 ML350 brake light replacement

The brake light on right side does not work anymore. How to replace the bulb? How to disassemble tail light? Should I remove the whole right side panel? Look like it is a hatch there but I was not able to find how to open it. Please help.

PS If anyone interested there is an official Owners manual: https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...13_M_Class.pdf page 132

Last edited by denysserg; 01-07-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: resolved
Old 01-08-2018, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
denysserg - with all due respect, if you are unable to figure out how to get to and replace the light bulb (without ever having seen one previously) in three minutes or less, I would kindly suggest that you leave all car maintenance to someone else. Alternatively, you can Google it and spend the three minutes watching a video instead of wasting everyone else's time asking asinine questions.

P.S. If you insist on doing it yourself, may I suggest the following guide as a good place to start:

Last edited by Diabolis; 01-08-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:12 PM

2014 E350, 2020 GLE350
Diabolis, I would definitely pay someone for this if the cost was reasonable. Dealer charge about $120 for 3 min of labor and $10 in parts. That is about $2,200 per hour for labor.
In any case the issue is resolved. I was afraid to broke anything. The hatch looks solid, no latches, buttons, guides. You should just know that it opens by flat screwdriver from upper side...
Old 01-08-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE350 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by Diabolis
denysserg - with all due respect, if you are unable to figure out how to get to and replace the light bulb (without ever having seen one previously) in three minutes or less, I would kindly suggest that you leave all car maintenance to someone else. Alternatively, you can Google it and spend the three minutes watching a video instead of wasting everyone else's time asking asinine questions.

P.S. If you insist on doing it yourself, may I suggest the following guide as a good place to start:

i dont think its an asinine question, im sure alot of people have questions that im sure me and you wouldnt be able to answer. Not that im directing anything at you im just saying.. these forums are here for a reason
The following 2 users liked this post by drwolf:
Dreday1977 (08-26-2024), Jimmy17 (09-02-2024)
Old 01-08-2018, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Gents - I am merely stating that all that is required for one to figure out how to disassemble a tail light and replace a light bulb - even without familiarity with or prior exposure to a particular vehicle or issue - is an inquisitive mind and a minuscule level of basic mechanical knowledge and skill. I meant exactly what I wrote - that if left to your own devices (and the Interwebz) you can't figure out your way around a rather simple puzzle, you're probably better off taking it to a mechanic. I mean that with no disrespect whatsoever.

As for shops or mechanics that charge an hour of labour to replace a tail light bulb, I would recommend that you keep looking until you find one that is going to do it for you in the 30 seconds that it actually takes to pop off the cover, replace the bulb and put the cover back on (and will probably give you the $1.50 bulb for free from their parts bin), and then give them your business afterwards knowing that they're not out to screw you. At least that's what the mechanics at the three shops I use to service my various cars - including the corporate MB dealership where I service my MBs - would do. I know this because all three of them - including the corporate MB dealership - many moons ago did precisely this or something equally trivial for free before I had any dealings with them.

As for the Auto Repair for Dummies book - I'm told that it is actually quite good as a basic starting point, just like the rest of the "??? for Dumies" series. That was also not meant as an insult.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:01 PM

2014 E350, 2020 GLE350
Diabolis, maybe you did not reed two of my posts above but the issue is resolved in the post #1 and additional explanation given in post #3. Not sure why you continue to state that I lack of basic mechanical knowledge. I'm professional mechanical engineer and would like to make sure I do things in a right way. I have no automotive experience and asked for help. Than I found solution by myself. You for some reason continue to state that I need to see mechanic...
Old 01-09-2018, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Denysserg - while I still don't see where in your first you stated that you figured it out (which then begs the question of why you posted it in the first place), that's largely besides the point. My second post was about people's comfort level required for working on their own cars and what in my opinion shops and mechanics should charge for performing such a job, not about you in particular. I am glad you sorted it all out.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:19 PM

2014 E350, 2020 GLE350
Denysserg - while I still don't see where in your first you stated that you figured it out (which then begs the question of why you posted it in the first place)
Maybe it is not clear enough. First, I posted a question (all except PS), than I found solution, posted it after PS and indicated a reason for post editing as "Resolved".

I think everyone is able to follow such a simple instructions. When I sorted out how to open a hatch it took me about 3 minutes to open a hatch, remove socket, remove bulb, insert new one, insert socket back and close a hatch. Page 132 in manual shows details and a required type of bulb.

I did some google search and found exactly same question without answer. Hope this simple stuff will help someone else.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 130 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Two problems here;

#1 I'm very disappointed to find that although I've blocked diabolis, I can still see his posts when he's being quoted. Very, very disappointed...

#2 Though I thought I was the only one who has an issue with diabolis bedside manners, I've since realized that he's generally a plague on this site.

Absolutely incredible. I am a member on many, many sites. I've rarely met a person so prone to causing social upset. He's literally socially retarded. Not by choice, more of a matter of in-breeding or possibly a mother who may have consumed copious amounts of alcohol while pregnant

Please people, whatever you do, do NOT "quote" diabolis. Not reading any of his asinine posts was a glimpse of peacefulness that I was able to savour for a few precious weeks.
The following users liked this post:
Warning RedFlag (Today)
Old 08-26-2024, 09:21 AM

Mercedes ML 350
Dick

Gents - I am merely stating that all that is required for one to figure out how to disassemble a tail light and replace a light bulb - even without familiarity with or prior exposure to a particular vehicle or issue - is an inquisitive mind and a minuscule level of basic mechanical knowledge and skill. I meant exactly what I wrote - that if left to your own devices (and the Interwebz) you can't figure out your way around a rather simple puzzle, you're probably better off taking it to a mechanic. I mean that with no disrespect whatsoever.

As for shops or mechanics that charge an hour of labour to replace a tail light bulb, I would recommend that you keep looking until you find one that is going to do it for you in the 30 seconds that it actually takes to pop off the cover, replace the bulb and put the cover back on (and will probably give you the $1.50 bulb for free from their parts bin), and then give them your business afterwards knowing that they're not out to screw you. At least that's what the mechanics at the three shops I use to service my various cars - including the corporate MB dealership where I service my MBs - would do. I know this because all three of them - including the corporate MB dealership - many moons ago did precisely this or something equally trivial for free before I had any dealings with them.

As for the Auto Repair for Dummies book - I'm told that it is actually quite good as a basic starting point, just like the rest of the "??? for Dumies" series. That was also not meant as an insult.
Yeah now u wanna change ur attitide
Old Today, 08:06 PM

ML350 BLUETEC
Originally Posted by peter2772000
Two problems here;

#1 I'm very disappointed to find that although I've blocked diabolis, I can still see his posts when he's being quoted. Very, very disappointed...

#2 Though I thought I was the only one who has an issue with diabolis bedside manners, I've since realized that he's generally a plague on this site.

Absolutely incredible. I am a member on many, many sites. I've rarely met a person so prone to causing social upset. He's literally socially retarded. Not by choice, more of a matter of in-breeding or possibly a mother who may have consumed copious amounts of alcohol while pregnant

Please people, whatever you do, do NOT "quote" diabolis. Not reading any of his asinine posts was a glimpse of peacefulness that I was able to savour for a few precious weeks.

WELL SAID AND ON POINT! That Diabolis is a DBag for sure! Attacks everyone where his big nose doesn’t belong! I even read a post where he was arguing with someone and then Diabolis said something to the effect “I will show you my gun.” I reported and he’s still on this forum!

Old Today, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oooh... does your butt still hurt from six years ago? Poor thing... you owe it to yourself to just revert back to being the amoeba that you are. If you didn't have a butt hole with a flashing neon sigh that says "Enter here", you'd be much better off... unless you're into that sort of thing of course.