C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

wondering what the odor is

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC AWD
wondering what the odor is

We recently bought a used 2016 c300 4matic AWD with 29,500 miles on it. We live in CT. The car has been fine. After driving it and parking it in the garage and closing the garage door I notice an odor. It seems most noticeable at the front of the car, maybe from the wheel wells. At first I thought it was hot brakes, like a caliper was sticking, but all the calipers are cool. Then I thought it could be electrical. It happens everytime, we are not driving the car hard. Has anyone else noticed such an odor?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 AM

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
Originally Posted by Rick1803
We recently bought a used 2016 c300 4matic AWD with 29,500 miles on it. We live in CT. The car has been fine. After driving it and parking it in the garage and closing the garage door I notice an odor. It seems most noticeable at the front of the car, maybe from the wheel wells. At first I thought it was hot brakes, like a caliper was sticking, but all the calipers are cool. Then I thought it could be electrical. It happens everytime, we are not driving the car hard. Has anyone else noticed such an odor?
Well we had a 2014 E350 and it had a weird smell coming from the front. We brought it in and it turned out to be a coolant leak.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C300
Same thing happened to me on my cla250. It was a coolant leak at the turbo only happens while the car is warm and doesn't leak onto the ground as it evaporates once it hits the turbo or hot surface.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 AM
AAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 Lux 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Rick1803
I have exact same symptoms. It smells like an electrical hot wire. I went last year to check it at the dealer, and they insisted it is normal. Some people think it is due to something being sprayed on new cars for protection. Anyway, nothing happend to the car and the smell still persist, although it is less intensive now.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC W205
Hello... we recently was given my mother-in-law's 2015 C300 4matic and experiencing the same thing. The smell can be really bad at times making my wife sick. We have an appointment next Monday at the dealer and am wondering if anyone found the issue and/or fix. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
Its either a coolant leak at the turbo which as the previous poster said evaporates or never makes it to the ground, or as a recent MB tech told me the coolant smell is the odor of coolant venting-unknown where. I can't confirm that though just passing it on. Now on my 2014 C300 (no turbo) I had that smell also but no signs of coolant loss so maybe the tech is correct. I smelled it in my garage after parking it, same with this 2015 C300 which is the turbo 4, Oh BTW with a wrist pin knock- happy joy joy.. good luck on finding the odor and please update forum members if u can.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC W205
Originally Posted by hogdad
Its either a coolant leak at the turbo which as the previous poster said evaporates or never makes it to the ground, or as a recent MB tech told me the coolant smell is the odor of coolant venting-unknown where. I can't confirm that though just passing it on. Now on my 2014 C300 (no turbo) I had that smell also but no signs of coolant loss so maybe the tech is correct. I smelled it in my garage after parking it, same with this 2015 C300 which is the turbo 4, Oh BTW with a wrist pin knock- happy joy joy.. good luck on finding the odor and please update forum members if u can.
We picked up the car yesterday from the dealer and haven't driven much yet. The service advisor and shop foreman/supervisor used the same line and said "the smell is not out of the ordinary". So no resolution. We also had them steam clean the engine to eliminate any other issue(s). I did notice the smell is less after the short drive home. Will monitor and let everyone know how it goes. On the plus side, had the dealer update the maps to 2018 v11 and notice the maps looking way better.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 c300
New owner of 2018 c300 1.2 mo old already in dealership and applied for lemon

New owner of 2018 c300 got the car dec 20th 2017.
To make the long story short, i am posting this to let you guys know that on my new p.o.s. car the fumes from the engine bay that smelled like hot plastic and crayon made myself and my wife so sick that we took the car in for the dealer to look at. It also had other problems such as hood oprn warning randomly appearing, car not starting with fault codes being thrown, interior parts popping off... what a car.
my wife got so sick from the fumes she actually threw up after driving for 1.5 hours.. and at that point i said enough is enough. Who knows what kind of carcinogens are coming into the car?!!

the dealer acknowleged the fume issue and i was told that THERE IS A SERVICE BULLETIN OUTfor the simillar issue.
and my one and a half month old car is going through a tear down process of the whole fron instrument panel, cebter console, seats and carpets to plug up the holes.
ARE U KIDDING ME??
i requested through mb usa to take the car back for full refund and they have the nerve to tell me that it is not guaranteed that would be done.
If you guys are having the similar fume/odor issue. Have them check it out. This is just unacceptable
Old 02-18-2018, 01:21 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC W205
I drove to the East Bay (SF Bay Area) yesterday and notice the fumes coming into the cabin driving back to SF. Not sure if outside temperature like drive to was 45 degrees vs driving from 70 degrees has anything to do with this.

I tried the recirculate button but it kept turning off after 5 minutes.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to have the fumes and recirculate button look at.

Also since owning this car a little over a month (mother-in-law gave us this car) I filled the gas twice. Both times I have to hold the nozzle to fill the tank. Took like 15 minutes yesterday. Will add to the list for the dealer to look at.

I will report back after the next dealer visit.