Project: S-Class (W222) AMG Steering Wheel in W/S213

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
S213
Project: S-Class (W222) AMG Steering Wheel in W/S213

Hi guys,

I love my car (with AMG int/ext package) which I already presented in the picture thread but the only thing I don't like is the shape of the airbag in the steering wheel.

As-is:

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/wp-con...79-680x379.jpg

Coming from BMW with M-sport packages I really like the round airbag cover in the middle of the wheel.
So I went through all possible options and now I want to retrofit the S-class AMG/Super Sport steering wheel in my S213.

I know that the speed limiter/cruise control is integrated in the S-class steering wheel instead of being handled with a separate stick in the steering column. So that might be a tricky one related to wiring.
I've checked local websites and also ebay back and forth and found 1-2 steering wheels that are worth the price. Still need to find an airbag for it...

To-Be:

Unfortunately I don't have any wiring overview of the current super sport steering wheel.
I know that there has been a lot of steering wheel upgrades in other MB subforums. Hence I am really looking forward to the community to support the idea to become real
I don't want to talk to the German dealerships because I believe it's the same as for BMW - they are not really willing to help and will tell me that this is not possible...
The COMAND hardware is the same in S and E class, so from a basic hardware perspective I assume it should work.

My basic questions:
1. Are the plugs for both wheels the same?
2. Is the wiring different or the same?
3. Will the speed limiter work by stick in the steering column or even directly with the s-class wheel?
4. Do I need to change the steering column (do I need to buy the S-class column)?

I am really looking forward to everyone who could support and appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Florian

Last edited by mcflo; 04-18-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
I have considered this switch as well, but I will most likely wait until the wheel naturally appears in the 213 series.
Also, I think that a 205 facelift steering wheel would be more compatible than a wheel from a 222.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 AM

S213
Originally Posted by vic viper
I have considered this switch as well, but I will most likely wait until the wheel naturally appears in the 213 series.
Also, I think that a 205 facelift steering wheel would be more compatible than a wheel from a 222.
Thanks for your reply. I actually thought about the same but the "mopf/facelift" will only come in 2-3 years, if I am not mistaking.
Or do you have any other infos?
It's just like... it tickles in my fingers to make this mod I can't wait...

I didn't consider that the W205 facelift was accounced lately. Good to know. Hopefully prices will drop a little more

Cheers
Flo

Last edited by mcflo; 04-18-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 Mercedes-Benz E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by mcflo
Thanks for your reply. I actually thought about the same but the "mopf/facelift" will only come in 2-3 years, if I am not mistaking.
Or do you have any other infos?
It's just like... it tickles in my fingers to make this mod I can't wait...

I didn't consider that the W205 facelift was accounced lately. Good to know. Hopefully prices will drop a little more

Cheers
Flo
Well, there's the 2019 Mercedes AMG E53 Coupe coming this Summer, and the 2019 CLS450, so both steering wheels should be available for your modding pleasure by the Fall, one would hope... Probably the biggest complication you will face is the cruise control buttons in the new wheel, as in the current E class, cruise control is a stalk on the left of the steering column, but I guess you can have the buttons on the new wheel not be functional.

Last edited by e400c; 04-18-2018 at 02:04 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Unfortunately, switching the steering wheel will not be possible. The wiring is different and Distronic controls have moved from the stalk to the steering whee (as stated).

Plus costs will be $2-3k. Not cheap...

I don't like the E-Class steering wheel that much either and think that the rubber airbag cover just looks cheap. Our SL has the same Airbag shape but is stitched in Nappa leather. Since our E is all Nappa as well, swapping the Airbag maybe the way to go...
Here is a pic.

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-18-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
It is possible, youll need to replace the steering column control unit (the entire column cover including stalks) as well,
using a control unit from a CLS or the new E 53 should work.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C 63 AMG (palladium Silver); 2018 E400 4matic Coupe (Pearl White)
I've been interested in this retrofit as well since the E53 was announced. The steering wheel is the main part you interact with the most in your car, you may as well have it the way you like if it's possible.

I'd also be interested to do this retrofit as soon as the parts are available for the W213/C238.

Vic, any idea the budget it may require to do this retrofit assuming the control unit needs to be swapped? Also what is the best way to sell off the swapped out CU and steering wheel to reduce the overall budget?

keep us posted on updates if you pursue this further!

​​​
Old 04-22-2018, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
That airbag unit makes the steering wheel look a whole lot better, I have one just havnt had time to fit it.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 Mercedes-Benz E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by vic viper
That airbag unit makes the steering wheel look a whole lot better, I have one just havnt had time to fit it.
I’m not one who often considers visual mods for my cars, but I have to say that airbag unit looks terrific. Any idea if changing that in a new car will void its warranty?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:59 PM

S213
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Unfortunately, switching the steering wheel will not be possible. The wiring is different and Distronic controls have moved from the stalk to the steering whee (as stated).

Plus costs will be $2-3k. Not cheap...

I don't like the E-Class steering wheel that much either and think that the rubber airbag cover just looks cheap. Our SL has the same Airbag shape but is stitched in Nappa leather. Since our E is all Nappa as well, swapping the Airbag maybe the way to go...
Here is a pic.
Thanks for your reply.
And how does the wiring differ? Does it have more wires because of new functionalities (e.g. cruise control)?

Where do you have this information from?
Thank you.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by mcflo
Thanks for your reply.
And how does the wiring differ? Does it have more wires because of new functionalities (e.g. cruise control)?

Where do you have this information from?
Thank you.
I would just wait until the MY19 are build. New steering wheels will be put on cars manufactured after June 1st. At that point you have your model-specific steering wheel and can then check on the parts that you'll need to buy. I assume the proper wiring diagrams will be available online (via subscription).