GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Just Committed to Purchase 2013 GL550. Missing Anything Big?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 Viper ACR
Just Committed to Purchase 2013 GL550. Missing Anything Big?

Hi Everybody,

I'm fairly new to Mercedes, and just wanted to make sure the GL550 I just secured for my wife isn't missing any major options. I agreed to purchase the car pending inspection because it isn't local. I'd appreciate your expertise. It's a very early build, explained by the "MAJOR TEST VEHICLE" options code, but otherwise looks well optioned to me. Thanks!

2013 GL550
Bright Silver Metallic/Gray
25K Miles
6/29/2012 Build Date

Options:
233 AUTONOMOUS INT. CRUISE CONT. PLUS (DISTRONIC PLUS)
235 ACTIVE PARK ASSIST
237 ACTIVE BLIND SPOT ASSIST
238 ACTIVE LANE KEEPING ASSIST (FAP)
23P DRIVING PACKAGE
430 OFFROAD PACKAGE
468 ACTIVE DRIVING STABILITY (ARS)
501 360 DEGREE VIEWING SYSTEM (SURROUND VIEW
550 TRAILER COUPLING
582 AIR CONDITIONER IN THE REAR
610 NIGHT VIEW ASSIST
810 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
845 THIRD SEAT ROW, ELECTRICALLY FOLDABLE
866 PREINSTALLATION, REAR ENTERTAINMENT
872 REAR SEAT BENCH HEATING LEFT UND RIGHT
889 KEYLESS - GO
P35 LIGHT PACKAGE (FFO)
Old 05-19-2018, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Hi,

It looks nice. It must be one of the first cars in this series!
I generally try to avoid first 1-2 years of production.

Look up model year updates and fixes and check if, and what has been fixed by MB previously.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:47 PM

2016 Viper ACR
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Hi,

It looks nice. It must be one of the first cars in this series!
I generally try to avoid first 1-2 years of production.

Look up model year updates and fixes and check if, and what has been fixed by MB previously.

Good luck!
Thanks. Yeah, it's definitely an early car. I'd prefer a 2015, but the price delta is just too great for minimal changes. And miles and options are most important to me.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I have a 13 with the black headliner option. Looks really sharp with the gray leather. Yours is extremely well optioned, though!
Old 05-19-2018, 07:15 PM

2016 Viper ACR
Originally Posted by TristarGL450
I have a 13 with the black headliner option. Looks really sharp with the gray leather. Yours is extremely well optioned, though!
Thanks. Has your been a good car for you despite being first year?
Old 05-20-2018, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Have a fairly early run car too but not as early as this one. Active Curve option 468 was the hardest to find on a 550. Active Curve is great for such a big and heavy car. We didn’t really need the off road package but nice bonus for you. The night vision I haven’t tried on a Benz but heard it’s that that great.

Issues? At 85k miles now have had steering rack replaced was $3k under warranty. The intake tubes fall apart due to heat and are really horrible, had one replaced again under warranty. The fuel level sensor was, and I quote the Benz repair order “eaten by a critter”, but under warranty. The there was a vacuum line to a turbo that got torn or something which resulted in lost pressure and lack of performance. Can be an issue on early models as they made changes later on. There is also a chain tensioner clatter on cold starts on early models. Resolved on later models. Can have fixed by a check valve being installed.

All issues covered under warranty if out of warranty $$$ if done at the dealer. Having a friend who works at the factory and can tear the car down quickly since he builds them has been great. Added our heated and cooled cup holders just like it came from the factory. Plus the black emblems straight from the factory. Still love the car and love driving it. I have had the car tuned, catless downpipes and some other fun mods. Have a thread on some mods but need to update it, it’s titles “Panda Build”.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:39 AM

2016 Viper ACR
Originally Posted by black06c230
Have a fairly early run car too but not as early as this one. Active Curve option 468 was the hardest to find on a 550. Active Curve is great for such a big and heavy car. We didn’t really need the off road package but nice bonus for you. The night vision I haven’t tried on a Benz but heard it’s that that great.

Issues? At 85k miles now have had steering rack replaced was $3k under warranty. The intake tubes fall apart due to heat and are really horrible, had one replaced again under warranty. The fuel level sensor was, and I quote the Benz repair order “eaten by a critter”, but under warranty. The there was a vacuum line to a turbo that got torn or something which resulted in lost pressure and lack of performance. Can be an issue on early models as they made changes later on. There is also a chain tensioner clatter on cold starts on early models. Resolved on later models. Can have fixed by a check valve being installed.

All issues covered under warranty if out of warranty $$$ if done at the dealer. Having a friend who works at the factory and can tear the car down quickly since he builds them has been great. Added our heated and cooled cup holders just like it came from the factory. Plus the black emblems straight from the factory. Still love the car and love driving it. I have had the car tuned, catless downpipes and some other fun mods. Have a thread on some mods but need to update it, it’s titles “Panda Build”.
Great info. For some reason I thought the cup holders were standard. Cool mod.

Last edited by Dewilmoth; 05-20-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Dewilmoth
Hi Everybody,

I'm fairly new to Mercedes, and just wanted to make sure the GL550 I just secured for my wife isn't missing any major options. I agreed to purchase the car pending inspection because it isn't local. I'd appreciate your expertise. It's a very early build, explained by the "MAJOR TEST VEHICLE" options code, but otherwise looks well optioned to me. Thanks!

2013 GL550
Bright Silver Metallic/Gray
25K Miles
6/29/2012 Build Date

Options:
233 AUTONOMOUS INT. CRUISE CONT. PLUS (DISTRONIC PLUS)
235 ACTIVE PARK ASSIST
237 ACTIVE BLIND SPOT ASSIST
238 ACTIVE LANE KEEPING ASSIST (FAP)
23P DRIVING PACKAGE
430 OFFROAD PACKAGE
468 ACTIVE DRIVING STABILITY (ARS)
501 360 DEGREE VIEWING SYSTEM (SURROUND VIEW
550 TRAILER COUPLING
582 AIR CONDITIONER IN THE REAR
610 NIGHT VIEW ASSIST
810 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
845 THIRD SEAT ROW, ELECTRICALLY FOLDABLE
866 PREINSTALLATION, REAR ENTERTAINMENT
872 REAR SEAT BENCH HEATING LEFT UND RIGHT
889 KEYLESS - GO
P35 LIGHT PACKAGE (FFO)
That's a pretty bare bones optioned truck. It has a couple of options that the majority of them don't have, such as the off-road and night view assist....both items that you will likely never use, especially night view since it is worthless and will likely cause you to get into an accident if you do try to use it.

Some major options it does not have:

- Designo leather interior
- Bang and Olufsen sound system (killer sound)
- Active Curve
- Rear seat entertainment (the one you're considering is only pre-wired)
- Multi-contour active seats with massage
- Heated and cooled front seats
- real leather interior (it probably only has MB Tex vinyl...which is quite durable)

So it appears to be lacking more than $15k in optional equipment.

Don't be worried about reliability of a 2013 model. They are every bit as reliable or unreliable as later models. The engine and trans have been around since 2010, and the safety systems that come with it have been around at least that long. The engine is easily tune-able to push out more power and torque than the AMG GL63. The low miles will be a plus as long as all of the maintenance has been done at the normal time intervals. Be sure to purchase an after-market warranty on it (preferably exclusionary coverage). You don't want to own one of these without coverage.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:22 AM

2016 Viper ACR
Originally Posted by DaveW68
That's a pretty bare bones optioned truck. It has a couple of options that the majority of them don't have, such as the off-road and night view assist....both items that you will likely never use, especially night view since it is worthless and will likely cause you to get into an accident if you do try to use it.

Some major options it does not have:

- Designo leather interior
- Bang and Olufsen sound system (killer sound)
- Active Curve
- Rear seat entertainment (the one you're considering is only pre-wired)
- Multi-contour active seats with massage
- Heated and cooled front seats
- real leather interior (it probably only has MB Tex vinyl...which is quite durable)

So it appears to be lacking more than $15k in optional equipment.

Don't be worried about reliability of a 2013 model. They are every bit as reliable or unreliable as later models. The engine and trans have been around since 2010, and the safety systems that come with it have been around at least that long. The engine is easily tune-able to push out more power and torque than the AMG GL63. The low miles will be a plus as long as all of the maintenance has been done at the normal time intervals. Be sure to purchase an after-market warranty on it (preferably exclusionary coverage). You don't want to own one of these without coverage.

It does have Active Curve (468), unless I'm missing something. It also has the massaging and heated/cooled front seats. No designo or B&O, both of which I'd prefer. But I haven't found any 2013 with them, while also having the trailer hitch and Active curve, which are both requirements for me. The MSRP was just over $100k, and from what I can tell, that's on the higher end. As for the warranty, the CPO warranty expired last week. I wasn't intending on buying a warranty, but you have me rethinking that. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
It does have Active Curve (468), unless I'm missing something. It also has the massaging and heated/cooled front seats. No designo or B&O, both of which I'd prefer. But I haven't found any 2013 with them, while also having the trailer hitch and Active curve, which are both requirements for me. The MSRP was just over $100k, and from what I can tell, that's on the higher end. As for the warranty, the CPO warranty expired last week. I wasn't intending on buying a warranty, but you have me rethinking that. Thanks for the info.
Sorry....I must have missed that since you called it Active Driving Stability. The options it doesn't have still totaled about $15k. A fully optioned GL550 back in 2013 was around $120k. But that's fine if it's optioned the way that you like it. My original MSRP with a bit north of $102k with Designo & B&O, but I don't have the off road package, Active Curve, rear seat entertainment, or Night view assist. You found one of the rare ones with NVA, but like I mentioned, it's a worthless option that is dangerous if put into use. GET A WARRANTY! This truck could bury you on potential repair costs without coverage.
The following users liked this post:
srfrboy (05-26-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:52 AM

2016 Viper ACR
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Sorry....I must have missed that since you called it Active Driving Stability. The options it doesn't have still totaled about $15k. A fully optioned GL550 back in 2013 was around $120k. But that's fine if it's optioned the way that you like it. My original MSRP with a bit north of $102k with Designo & B&O, but I don't have the off road package, Active Curve, rear seat entertainment, or Night view assist. You found one of the rare ones with NVA, but like I mentioned, it's a worthless option that is dangerous if put into use. GET A WARRANTY! This truck could bury you on potential repair costs without coverage.
Totally agree on NVA, possibly the dumbest option ever. There's a reason it's rare. I'll do some research on my warranty options, it's admittedly an area I have very little experience.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Totally agree on NVA, possibly the dumbest option ever. There's a reason it's rare. I'll do some research on my warranty options, it's admittedly an area I have very little experience.
Talk to the dealer. They will usually sell aftermarket warranty policies. And make sure you ask for "exclusionary coverage", which will cover everything on the vehicle except for the items that are specifically excluded on the exclusions list. Those are usually normal wear items, body panels, glass, trim, etc. And remember that those policies are negotiable on price. You should be able to find a policy that will cover that vehicle for 4 yr/50k additional term for around $5k. Now $5k may seem like a lot, but it will be the best money you can spend on your truck as the likelihood of having more than $5k in claims during that time is very high. And they will finance the price of the policy with the truck.

I recommend that you ask the dealership to print you up a sample policy so that you can read a detailed list of all of the exclusions....not just the brochure that they hand out.

You can also talk with local credit unions and banks in your area to see if any of them sell warranty coverage. Many do.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:30 PM

2016 Viper ACR
I ended up buying the GL550 I was referring to in the OP, and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I was very skeptical based on the price and low miles, but it is in showroom condition as promised by the seller. While I have several family members with MB, this is my first, and I can see why people are diehard fans. They are built like tanks. So impressed. Time to go find a GTR to drive.
Attached Thumbnails Just Committed to Purchase 2013 GL550.  Missing Anything Big?-photo633.jpg   Just Committed to Purchase 2013 GL550.  Missing Anything Big?-photo59.jpg  
Old 05-27-2018, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
It looks great, congratulations!