E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

07 E550 Airmatic Issues After Aligment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
07 E550 Airmatic Issues After Aligment

So I figured I should get my front end aligned it was a bit off steering a tad to the right. Take it to the shop said and done I leave and it says malfunction with the arrow pointing up. I see no issues the car is not lowering at all and drives perfectly fine. So I take it back to him he resets it and the next day this time it comes back on. Again no issues as far as driving just the malfunction turn on with the car showing and the arrow pointing up. This issue never came up before.

UPDATE:

It's code A9/1Y1 AIRMATIC PRESSURE RELEASE VALVE OPEN CIRCUIT. This has to be very very coincidental because this code only appeared after taking it from the alignment shop. He swears he has touched nothing other then a couple of bolts. So I don't get how it just comes on other then pure bad luck. Thank goodness it doesn't cause the air to leak out or else I would've been stranded. Can just the valve be replaced?

Last edited by karpetcm; 02-12-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
Ive got this same thing the past couple of weeks, but i cant pull any codes. Nothing shows up. Mine also doesnt seem to be effecting anything. Raises/lowers just fine. Doesnt leak, etc. No clue man.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:36 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rodneypierce
Ive got this same thing the past couple of weeks, but i cant pull any codes. Nothing shows up. Mine also doesnt seem to be effecting anything. Raises/lowers just fine. Doesnt leak, etc. No clue man.
did you do anything with the car a couple of days before it came up?
Old 02-14-2019, 02:22 AM

2009 e550 4Matic
I did not. It just randomly appeared. The only thing that it could possibly be was we had a streak of sub zero temperatures when it popped. Other than that, just completely random. Comes up every time I drive the car now though. But no ill effects.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
05 W211 E500, 03 C215 CL55 AMG
A9/1Y1 AIRMATIC PRESSURE RELEASE VALVE OPEN CIRCUIT

For that code, check the wiring harness to the air compressor.
Sometimes those can break.

You'll have to take the plastic covers underneath the car to access it.

The valve itself is hard to find, better find a new or reman unit if wiring isn't broken.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:31 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Agent-A01

The valve itself is hard to find, better find a new or reman unit if wiring isn't broken.

i opened it up a couple of days ago looked at all the wires i pulled and pushed on the connector and any fitting that goes to it and found nothing odd. So new unit is probably in order.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:40 AM

2009 e550 4Matic
OK, just wanted to update here. I got the malfunction message again on the way to work, but this time by the time I got to work the car was slammed. It wouldnt raise or lower at all until I shut the car off, then turned it back on. Pump kicked on and aired everything back up to ride height just fine. Little confused as I still cannot get an active code on the scanner.

*edit* Just went out and checked it again just now (some 4 hours later) and it hasnt dropped at all. Leading me to believe its not the system itself, but maybe could be the valve block? Ill try again to pull codes when I get home from work in the morning and see if anything comes up yet.

@karpetcm any updates on yours?

Last edited by rodneypierce; 02-18-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:15 AM

2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Agent-A01

Which valve are you talking about? Location?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:28 AM

2009 e550 4Matic
Ok, now the pump kicks on for a second and runs then shuts off and I get the error. I cleared all codes and a 5508 came back which says "The pressure line system leak" Yet the system appears to hold air. Ill see tonight when I head out if its lowered at all. (code is from an icarsoft MB II so not sure if thats the same code as star or not)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 AM

2009 e550 4Matic
Sorry @karpetcm for sort of overtaking the thread. My apologies!!
Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Ok, now the pump kicks on for a second and runs then shuts off and I get the error. I cleared all codes and a 5508 came back which says "The pressure line system leak" Yet the system appears to hold air. Ill see tonight when I head out if its lowered at all. (code is from an icarsoft MB II so not sure if thats the same code as star or not)

Atleast you got a legit code off it. I still haven't taken mine to the mechanic shop yet with the better scanner. Hoping mine doesn't get much worse till then.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:00 AM

2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by karpetcm
Atleast you got a legit code off it. I still haven't taken mine to the mechanic shop yet with the better scanner. Hoping mine doesn't get much worse till then.
Please keep us updated! And if you dont mind, Ill do so as well.

I can get the pump to run by clearing the code and then restarting the car. It will run fine until the next key cycle and then give me the 5508. I replaced the pump two years ago, but wondering if it isnt on the way out again. It sounds pretty weak. But I also get an almost immediate loss of pressure when monitoring the pressure sensor. I can watch it from from 2.6 bar to 0 in 5 or 6 seconds time.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Sorry @karpetcm for sort of overtaking the thread. My apologies!!
no worries brotha, I have nothing really beneficial to add to the post till I take it to my mechanic that has a better scanner. Chances are its gonna be the pump on my end, looks original and with the car having 168k miles, not really surprised.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:10 AM

2009 e550 4Matic
And drove around today just fine. Error and all. Tonight about 3/4 of the way to work and it gives me the message and the car was bouncy as hell. Got to work and the bags are empty (rear bags for sure, front looks low but not bottomed)

*edit* and now just went out and checked and its all on the ground. I can hear the pump run for a few seconds and then it times out. Car doesnt move at all. Im guessing its got to be the valve block (rear bags are arnotts that I did a couple of years ago, so no rear air chambers) but for both the front and rear to have dropped, I would almost assume its the block.

Ill have to have it towed to my parents in the morning (I dont have a garage at my place) and do some investigating here this week.

Last edited by rodneypierce; 02-19-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:18 AM

2009 e550 4Matic
Just wanted to give a small update on this. I ended up getting it to pump up and drove it out to my dads shop. It was low again by the time I got there (8 miles or so). But let the car run and it aired back up and has been sitting fine at that level since I dropped it off on the 18th. I plan to replace the valve block here this coming week when the parts come in. Im hoping thats the issue.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 Wagon
Just wanted to give a small update on this. I ended up getting it to pump up and drove it out to my dads shop. It was low again by the time I got there (8 miles or so). But let the car run and it aired back up and has been sitting fine at that level since I dropped it off on the 18th. I plan to replace the valve block here this coming week when the parts come in. Im hoping thats the issue.
With my recent airmatic issues including erratic behavior like you're experiencing as well as the same error codes, my issue ended up being the pump itself. It was leaking periodically would drop the car all the way down sometimes, then other times it would raise and hold air. Eventually, the car bottomed out and the pump wouldn't lift it at all. Anyway, check the pump also.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:08 PM

2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by NCTRNL
With my recent airmatic issues including erratic behavior like you're experiencing as well as the same error codes, my issue ended up being the pump itself. It was leaking periodically would drop the car all the way down sometimes, then other times it would raise and hold air. Eventually, the car bottomed out and the pump wouldn't lift it at all. Anyway, check the pump also.
I'll be replacing the pump as well at the same time as the valve. The current pump is only about 2 years old though, but will still be doing it at the same time.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 PM

2005 E500 Wagon
I'll be replacing the pump as well at the same time as the valve. The current pump is only about 2 years old though, but will still be doing it at the same time.
Yeah, mine was right at two years old also but I realized that the pump I put in two years ago wasn't an OEM Wabco pump but a cheap aftermarket one which is probably why it only lasted 2 years.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM

2009 e550 4Matic
Yeah, mine was right at two years old also but I realized that the pump I put in two years ago wasn't an OEM Wabco pump but a cheap aftermarket one which is probably why it only lasted 2 years.
Mine was replaced with a wabco.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:33 PM

2005 E500 Wagon
Mine was replaced with a wabco.
There's always a chance that you have a slow leak somewhere in a strut or something that was causing the pump to run more often than usual which wore it out in two years. A good pump can keep things going for a while but it's just not designed to run that often so it will eventually kill it. I think my issue was my rear bags which I also replaced this time. Just did the fronts when I did the pump 2 years ago.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 PM

2009 e550 4Matic
There's always a chance that you have a slow leak somewhere in a strut or something that was causing the pump to run more often than usual which wore it out in two years. A good pump can keep things going for a while but it's just not designed to run that often so it will eventually kill it. I think my issue was my rear bags which I also replaced this time. Just did the fronts when I did the pump 2 years ago.
I did the rear bags as well shortly after. We will see how it goes here. It's been holding air since the 18th and hasn't dropped a lick.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09 E63
what's the update and how'd it go replacing the valve block please?
Old 03-29-2019, 12:16 AM

2009 e550 4Matic
Im not sure about the OP, but mine ended up being the hose between the pump and the valve block. It had worn a hole in it and was leaking. The wires to the pump had also rubbed and wore through the protective sheath. I replaced the pump, tubing and added protection to the wiring. Working good as ever.