E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Which headlight screw to adjust beam up and down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 06:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 CLS 400d
Which headlight screw to adjust beam up and down?

Hi,

Which screw is it to adjust the normal (dipped) beam up and down on W213 multi-beam LED? My car is U.K. version.

Thanks
Sunny

Old 07-25-2020, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 527 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
black one. use a allen key (i don't know the size of the key though)

counterclock wise - up
clock wise - down

you should do this in the evening time so you can actually see the headlights swivel up and down as based on your adjustment
The following 3 users liked this post by bobblehead:
JPS984 (07-28-2020), JTK44 (07-26-2020), SunnyC257 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 07:08 AM

2021 CLS 400d
Originally Posted by bobblehead

counterclock wise - up
clock wise - down

you should do this in the evening time so you can actually see the headlights swivel up and down as based on your adjustment
Thank you!
Old 07-28-2020, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E Class Estate S213 AMG Line
Originally Posted by bobblehead

counterclock wise - up
clock wise - down

I was looking for this answer as well, thanks!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but do you know what the white one is for? Horizontal adjustment or high beam? I feel as if my right headlight is illuminating the left side of the road and the left headlight is illuminating the right side of the road. The lights are crossing each other and it creates a shadowing effect. Is that normal or do I need to do a horizontal adjustment? Thank you!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:52 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
i would think factory setting is the best? probably best to consult with service department prior to adjusting?
Old 07-29-2020, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
i would think factory setting is the best? probably best to consult with service department prior to adjusting?
Thanks. That's right, factory setting was perfect. Road was well illuminated for me, and other cars weren't ever flashing me. But when I took my car for oil change last year, even though I didn't ask them, the dealer messed up the headlight adjustment. It's like 10 feet shorter in the middle, a bit longer on the right side, and very long throw on the left side. I took the car back and asked them to bring it back to the state it was, they couldn't(or didn't). I went to 2 other places, none of them could do it, so I figured I need to do it myself. I just need to know which is the horizontal adjustment. Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-29-2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JPS984
Thanks. That's right, factory setting was perfect. Road was well illuminated for me, and other cars weren't ever flashing me. But when I took my car for oil change last year, even though I didn't ask them, the dealer messed up the headlight adjustment. It's like 10 feet shorter in the middle, a bit longer on the right side, and very long throw on the left side. I took the car back and asked them to bring it back to the state it was, they couldn't(or didn't). I went to 2 other places, none of them could do it, so I figured I need to do it myself. I just need to know which is the horizontal adjustment. Thanks for any advice!
Ok, I tried the white one, it's the horizontal adjustment. The dealer really messed it up. I got it to a better state, but still not as well as I'd want it to be. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by JPS984:
bobblehead (07-30-2020), SunnyC257 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I adjusted mine just up and down. My factory setting was a bit too low and I adjusted up a bit up. I did not adjust horizontally. Maybe I will play around a little bit.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:19 PM

2021 CLS 400d
The reason I had to adjust mine was because my right side headlamp had a gap between the fender and the light unit itself.
After the headlamp unit was physically re-adjusted so it was flush with the fender, the headlamp beam was shining up into the sky, so I had to bring the beam back down (vertically) and more inwards (horizontally). I parked my car in front of my garage door to get the beam height to match the left side headlight as much as possible...... but its still not 100% perfect because I don't have access to a "beam setter" to properly check the light beam's alignment - I'll get Mercedes to adjust it properly at the next service.

Here in the U.K., the light beam alignment is checked as per our annual statuatory vehicle inspection (what we refer to as the "M.O.T. Test") and it needs to be correct in order for it to pass.
The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oh! ok. No such required inspection here in Canda. Maybe not in the US as well.
The following users liked this post:
SunnyC257 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 803 Likes on 635 Posts
US inspections vary by jurisdiction. Florida did away with state inspections many years ago. Before that headlight failures, either aim or intensity, were a major point of failure. Some of my cars failed because they had EU lights that were too bright.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 Magno E-63 S
Just gonna bring this old thread back to
life right quick (since this will always be an issue in cars). I’m assuming that my driver’s side headlight is low here and it’s not some master plan from MB. The high beams work just fine when they activate, so my second question is if that adjuster is just for the low beam?

Low driver’s side headlight.
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 578 Likes on 437 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by SpydrMnky
Just gonna bring this old thread back to
life right quick (since this will always be an issue in cars). I’m assuming that my driver’s side headlight is low here and it’s not some master plan from MB. The high beams work just fine when they activate, so my second question is if that adjuster is just for the low beam?

Low driver’s side headlight.
Just my $.02 and I could be wrong:

I do not think so: To me your pattern is perfect: Low on the driver side because of on coming traffic and car directly in front of you and higher on the right side for more illumination - with no oncoming traffic.
Old Today, 01:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 Magno E-63 S
Originally Posted by JTK44
Just my $.02 and I could be wrong:

I do not think so: To me your pattern is perfect: Low on the driver side because of on coming traffic and car directly in front of you and higher on the right side for more illumination - with no oncoming traffic.
I considered that too, but can figure out why it would be this slow when every other headlight in the world is ultimately even.
Old Today, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by SpydrMnky
I considered that too, but can figure out why it would be this slow when every other headlight in the world is ultimately even.
The driver side light is suppose to be a bit lower but yours seem too low.