E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Speed limits insane!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 10:27 AM

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
Speed limits insane!

I’ve used the speed limit assist since once I’ve had my 2019 E300 and it’s really been a big help.

BUT

In June there was navigation update and since then the speed limits showing in the instrument cluster and the speed limit assist are wrong. The road I live on has a speed limit of 45 mph but the car reads it as 15. I took a trip last week and every time I had to use an exit to get on another interstate it would read the speed limit as 80 mph. I can be driving in a construction zone on the interstate where the speed limit drops to 55 mph which the car will adjust to but then all of sudden a mile or two later it will shoot up to 70 mph without any speed limit sign indicating a speed change.

is anyone else having this problem with the last update?
Old 07-17-2024, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 800 Likes on 632 Posts
I've had similar issues, but they are related to time sensitive speed limits such are found in school zones. It may be that speed limit control takes into account GPS location.
Old 07-17-2024, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,825 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
I haven't noticed any issue with the latest update, but to be honest, I'm not paying all that much attention to the speed limit in the instrument cluster. I've disabled the automatic speed limit adoption for DISTRONIC, so I only have the speed limit displayed as a piece of mind and have it set to blink if I exceed the speed limit by 5 mph or more. It blinks frequently anyway . But so far haven't caught it showing the wrong speed limit.

It sounds like the speed limit data is wrong in the latest map update for your region. Generally, the speed limit comes from the camera when it "sees" speed limit signs, but if it hasn't seen a speed limit sign for a certain amount of time, it falls back to what the map data says for the current road you are on. So it sounds like whenever it decides to fall back to the map data, the speed limit it gets from the database is wrong.
The following users liked this post:
juanmor40 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 12:51 PM

Received 151 Likes on 120 Posts
SL63
Construction zones really disrupt the speed limit assist.
So much can change on a daily basis, as the construction process progresses.
Old 07-17-2024, 05:53 PM

Received 136 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by DeutscheBenz726
I’ve used the speed limit assist since once I’ve had my 2019 E300 and it’s really been a big help.

BUT

In June there was navigation update and since then the speed limits showing in the instrument cluster and the speed limit assist are wrong. The road I live on has a speed limit of 45 mph but the car reads it as 15. I took a trip last week and every time I had to use an exit to get on another interstate it would read the speed limit as 80 mph. I can be driving in a construction zone on the interstate where the speed limit drops to 55 mph which the car will adjust to but then all of sudden a mile or two later it will shoot up to 70 mph without any speed limit sign indicating a speed change.

is anyone else having this problem with the last update?
Was navigation update OTA or dealership installed? I did OTA update earlier this year and everything seems to work as before. On local/city/county roads the system reads the signs, posts the proper limit on the dash, and controls the vehicle speed accordingly. Too accurately as UA549 points out. "Hey Mercedes"...school's out for summer. I'm not sure why it doesn't seem to care on freeways, but that's another story.
Old 07-17-2024, 11:27 PM

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
Originally Posted by Cao Black
Was navigation update OTA or dealership installed? I did OTA update earlier this year and everything seems to work as before. On local/city/county roads the system reads the signs, posts the proper limit on the dash, and controls the vehicle speed accordingly. Too accurately as UA549 points out. "Hey Mercedes"...school's out for summer. I'm not sure why it doesn't seem to care on freeways, but that's another story.

it was over the air
Old 07-17-2024, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A 200 Sedan
i've had some issues too, but not as bad as yours. strange.
Old 07-18-2024, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
It's the only feature which i switched off
does not work very well here in France
Old 07-18-2024, 12:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
2018 E-300 4matic Sedan
I have seen similar issues since my car was new. I still leave the display on to indicate what the car thinks is the speed limit, but I disabled the option to automatically update my cruise control speed when it thinks the speed limit has changed. That function is downright dangerous.

I was traveling on the highway, and the speed limit was 65mph. The car suddenly started slowing down pretty quickly, because it somehow thought the speed limit had changed to 25. There were cars right behind me, and I found it to be unsettling.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:34 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Originally Posted by E300-18
I have seen similar issues since my car was new. I still leave the display on to indicate what the car thinks is the speed limit, but I disabled the option to automatically update my cruise control speed when it thinks the speed limit has changed. That function is downright dangerous.

I was traveling on the highway, and the speed limit was 65mph. The car suddenly started slowing down pretty quickly, because it somehow thought the speed limit had changed to 25. There were cars right behind me, and I found it to be unsettling.
After this happened the third time I disabled the automatic speed update cruise control feature. I too leave the speed display activated and often contrast the speed showing on Android Auto with the W213's cameras.

If there's no way to update the car so that certain places aren't showing dramatically lower speed limits having this feature active is downright dangerous.