SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Shift selector lever to P??????????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 Mercedes sl500 & 2012 C300 4matic
Shift selector lever to P??????????

New issue today. When I opened the door on my 03 SL500 the gauges lit up in bright red. Left one has a red "P', the right one says "shift selector lever to "P" This only stays this way if the door is open and when the key is not in the ignition and turned on. Close the door and everything is normal, key in or out. Only happens when drivers door is opened, not passenger door.No issues starting or getting into and out of "park". Clearly the car doesn't seem to realize that the shifter is in PARK. I saw an earlier video for R129's talking about the 2 shifter bushings. The R230 only shows one bushing, wonder if excessive play in the shifter rod could end this error message (not detecting the shifter linkage out of transmission moving all the way to the PARK position?
I had the whole gear shift assembly replaced 20,000 miles go when the small plastic lever broke off. I am very cautious putting gear selector into and out of park after that and it is smooth as butter. So the gear selector goes into park, I take the key out and only after a door is opened does this warning go off in the gauge cluster. Any ideas guys???

Last edited by 2007mustang; 05-19-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL350 R230 and S320 W220
Originally Posted by 2007mustang
New issue today. When I opened the door on my 03 SL500 the gauges lit up in bright red. Left one has a red "P', the right one says "shift selector lever to "P" This only stays this way if the door is open and when the key is not in the ignition and turned on. Close the door and everything is normal, key in or out. Only happens when drivers door is opened, not passenger door.No issues starting or getting into and out of "park". Clearly the car doesn't seem to realize that the shifter is in PARK. I saw an earlier video for R129's talking about the 2 shifter bushings. The R230 only shows one bushing, wonder if excessive play in the shifter rod could end this error message (not detecting the shifter linkage out of transmission moving all the way to the PARK position?
I had the whole gear shift assembly replaced 20,000 miles go when the small plastic lever broke off. I am very cautious putting gear selector into and out of park after that and it is smooth as butter. So the gear selector goes into park, I take the key out and only after a door is opened does this warning go off in the gauge cluster. Any ideas guys???
Hello !

I have exactly the same problem as you on my 2005 SL. Did you manage to solve your problem ?
If so, could you tell me what the problem was and how you solved it.
It would be a great help as I'm really out of ideas.

Many thanks to you !!!
Old Today, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 222 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Check shifter position in ESM module, check park/neutral switch status in TCU, and check communication with Central Gateway. I had one a few months ago that was doing this. ESM and TCU had appropriate values, but diagnostics couldn't find the Central Gateway. Ended up pulling the gateway to check power supply (it was OK) and after plugging it back in, everything was normal again. I'm not sure if it just needed a reboot, if there was a bad connection (terminals looked fine), or something else, but that was the issue.