G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Heated Steering Wheel work without option?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 460 Likes on 375 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
Heated Steering Wheel work without option?

Will a heated steering wheel work in a vehicle that was not ordered with a heated wheel? I know that the heat function will not work but I want to know if everything else will work, without any error messages.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 974 Likes on 748 Posts
G550
With the number of different steering wheel configuration and trim options that are offered, and that the heated steering wheel option is spec'd separately and available with any of them, I've always suspected that every steering wheel is assembled with the integral heating element, and that $250 buys you the column-mounted heater activation control. If this is the case, a heated steering wheel should be interchangable with a vehicle lacking the activation control. This is however speculation, not proven. Side by side inspection of heated and non-heated steering wheels would be conclusive.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Did you find one with the proper zen wood pattern? I know you were looking for the longest time. I say go for it and cross your fingers!
Old 08-05-2021, 03:53 PM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
993 TT
Originally Posted by streborx
With the number of different steering wheel configuration and trim options that are offered, and that the heated steering wheel option is spec'd separately and available with any of them, I've always suspected that every steering wheel is assembled with the integral heating element, and that $250 buys you the column-mounted heater activation control. If this is the case, a heated steering wheel should be interchangable with a vehicle lacking the activation control. This is however speculation, not proven. Side by side inspection of heated and non-heated steering wheels would be conclusive.
I've wanted to add this feature to my G that was ordered w/o the option and have been trying to figure if I could just add the stalk feature. No clue if my wheel has the heating elements or not. Have not been able to confirm an answer. Suspect it would be cheaper to just build them all with the elements.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say all of the heating elements are in the wheels already and they just enable it when you buy in (as other makes do), however, if the stalk is all that's required to enable the heat then whey would this option be unavailable if you have the sport toggles. There must be reason having to do with the wiring or capacity of the wheel
Old 08-05-2021, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 460 Likes on 375 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Did you find one with the proper zen wood pattern? I know you were looking for the longest time. I say go for it and cross your fingers!
No, I did not, and after they ordered 4 Zen wheels, of which none matched, they gave up so we are working on another option. They just recently told me that the flat-bottomed Blue/Black wheel is not compatible so I want to try the round Blue/Black but it is heated only. If that does not work I will have to settle for the standard all Black flat bottomed AMG wheel but they will owe me $600 since that is what the Zen wheel option cost. MBUSA offered me a voucher for my next vehicle purchase but I told them no!
Old 01-12-2022, 08:43 PM

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 GLC63s, 2021 G63OB, 2021 G63MB, 2022 G63MB
@Bob Z. maybe not..

Last edited by RedPill; 01-12-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
model 3
Originally Posted by LapTimes
I would say all of the heating elements are in the wheels already and they just enable it when you buy in (as other makes do), however, if the stalk is all that's required to enable the heat then whey would this option be unavailable if you have the sport toggles. There must be reason having to do with the wiring or capacity of the wheel
There are two types. One heated, the other is not.
You can enable heating if you purchase a steering wheel with the heated function. You may need to code your car to enable heating.

It is also possible to have agility control buttons as well as heating (an option mercedes does not offer as a configuration) as long as you code your car.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You can't "code" a MB to add heated steering wheel.

In modern manufacturing - the wire harness for a specific G (or about any MB really) is manufactured (by "wire robots" actually) to accommodate " ONLY those specific features ordered for that G (MB).

From Sustainability/Efficiency standpoint - that's the way it's been for quite a while now.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:10 PM

model 3
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

In modern manufacturing - the wire harness for a specific G (or about any MB really) is manufactured (by "wire robots" actually) to accommodate " ONLY those specific features ordered for that G (MB).

From Sustainability/Efficiency standpoint - that's the way it's been for quite a while now.
I think you misunderstood what I said.
There are two types of steering wheels. Heated and non-heated.
You have to first purchase the heated steering wheel, replace it and then code the car so that the heated option is available.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
G
Cool

Originally Posted by rjautomotive
This is not really true. The cars all have many bus systems, CANbus, Flexray, LIN bus. The main wiring harness in these cars are all the same.
All you need to do is plug into the correct bus, when retrofitting you just plug it into the free bus slots, as there are many free slots. (Think of it like unused USB slots).
If you purchase the heated steering, there's no extra wiring needed, as it is controlled by the steering canbus, which is already present in the steering module for other functions. You only have to run 1 extra wire to the body control module If your car does not have an electrically adjustable steering column.

After this you just do the coding.

We have done it many times, and we retrofit many different items to MB vehicles.
Check out our website below

rjautomotive.net
Wow, looks like you have lots of options that you can do remotely, like lane change disable, etc.

Can this be done remotely for heated wheel as well? Obviously the wire will need to be in place, per your specs. I have adjustable wheel, just not the heating button, which is a chap part. Would love to do this. Any additional info appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
olcree1111 (12-19-2023)
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

so… no matter how much money I’d be willing to throw at an MB without a heated steering wheel, it can’t be added?
Old Today, 02:52 AM

model 3
Originally Posted by BrotriX
so… no matter how much money I’d be willing to throw at an MB without a heated steering wheel, it can’t be added?
Yes you can..
I think he misunderstood what I said.
If you don't have the heating option, you cannot code it in. But if you replace the non-heated steering wheel with a heated steering wheel, you can enable it by coding your mercedes.
It works fine as many of my friends have done it.
Old Today, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by eugenes
Yes you can..
I think he misunderstood what I said.
If you don't have the heating option, you cannot code it in. But if you replace the non-heated steering wheel with a heated steering wheel, you can enable it by coding your mercedes.
It works fine as many of my friends have done it.
what other parts do you need besides the wheel? At minimum, you’d obviously need the switch for the steering column.