S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

What's the Consensus on Apple CarPlay for W221?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550 (W221)
What's the Consensus on Apple CarPlay for W221?

I recently got a 2010 S550 (only 11k miles!!) and am in love with the car... Since I got it, I've probably exhausted my search on the web for the best Apple CarPlay device to install/use with the OEM screen / knob in the car.

Is there a general consensus for W221 owners as to which device out there is the best? I've seen a few threads on the JoyeAuto.
The following users liked this post:
clb0099 (03-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2021, 01:39 PM

Received 170 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
It is far easier to get music onto an Android device than an Apple device.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:14 PM

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
Originally Posted by turbografx16
I recently got a 2010 S550 (only 11k miles!!) and am in love with the car... Since I got it, I've probably exhausted my search on the web for the best Apple CarPlay device to install/use with the OEM screen / knob in the car.

Is there a general consensus for W221 owners as to which device out there is the best? I've seen a few threads on the JoyeAuto.
If you're interested in a JoyeAuto unit and you're in the states I can sell you a brand new one. I was originally going to stick with the OEM infotainment screen but I decided to go the Android route and I don't feel like dealing with a return. Would've gone that route if I were to keep the OEM screen as I wanted both wireless and wired CarPlay options.
The following 2 users liked this post by joeshannon095:
Dehavilland2699 (01-31-2022), Kevo79 (10-26-2021)
Old 01-31-2022, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S65
Originally Posted by joeshannon095
If you're interested in a JoyeAuto unit and you're in the states I can sell you a brand new one. I was originally going to stick with the OEM infotainment screen but I decided to go the Android route and I don't feel like dealing with a return. Would've gone that route if I were to keep the OEM screen as I wanted both wireless and wired CarPlay options.
Hello, do you still have this for sale?
Hopefully its compatible with my 2007 S65.

Kindly let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2022, 10:35 PM

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
Unfortunately it would not work as your vehicle is a pre-facelift model.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:39 PM

2007 S65

This is what I've got.
How do you know which is a face-lift model?
Old 01-31-2022, 10:41 PM

2007 S65

This is what I've got.
How do you know which is a face-lift model?
Old 02-01-2022, 07:30 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
...you just need a carplay/aa box for pre-facelift model.

Generally speaking the NTG3 had different screen cable plug used, so the carplay/android auto box has one different cable... However, just because you have a facelift model, it does not mean you have NTG3.5 - check the device itself before making any purchases! MB is really inconsistent with S class and the NTG models available...
Dehavilland2699 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 07:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 CL550 4Matic
I have a Joyeauto unit for sale as well if anyone is looking. I also don’t want to deal with returning it. I have a 2010 CL550 and decided not to use the Joyeauto unit.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Silver 2013 S500 AMG. 4.7 litre V8 Bi Turbo 7 Speed Gearbox
I have recently had a LIMCET box installed, behind the dashboard. IT gives full Apple and Android interface and / or mirroring of your phone.
I have a 2013 S550 and am currently based in the Emirates. My MB is a Japanese import, which has its own other issues, being an import, but the Limocet box
pairs to both Bluetooth and creates its own WiFi network, which the phone uses to stream its data to the screen.

Full functionality with the control / command wheel and I can switch between Command and Car Play buy holding down the Tel/Nav button for 2 seconds.
All other functionality is retained and I am extremely happy with the fit out as there is nothing to see and I have a USB socket installed in the glovebox, so that I can
add a hard drive and / or watch movies while driving.

I can also use Waze, which is a much better navigations system over here, than the onboard and outdated Command navigation maps.

PM me if you want pics....

Good luck

Last edited by jmirgy; 04-23-2022 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S400 Hydrid 2011 Japan
Carplay w221 Japan NTG 3.0

Originally Posted by jmirgy
I have recently had a LIMCET box installed, behind the dashboard. IT gives full Apple and Android interface and / or mirroring of your phone.
I have a 2013 S550 and am currently based in the Emirates. My MB is a Japanese import, which has its own other issues, being an import, but the Limocet box
pairs to both Bluetooth and creates its own WiFi network, which the phone uses to stream its data to the screen.

Full functionality with the control / command wheel and I can switch between Command and Car Play buy holding down the Tel/Nav button for 2 seconds.
All other functionality is retained and I am extremely happy with the fit out as there is nothing to see and I have a USB socket installed in the glovebox, so that I can
add a hard drive and / or watch movies while driving.

I can also use Waze, which is a much better navigations system over here, than the onboard and outdated Command navigation maps.

PM me if you want pics....

Good luck

Hello I have a S400 hybrid Japan with this command unit connector. And I have bought a Limcet unit for carplay. LVDS connector is not connected in original arrangement as can be seen. Can you help me with some idea to have this think installed, please? Thanks

Last edited by luciancotocea; 12-12-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:03 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
Japanese unit will have NTG3 (facelift too). Your device has a LVDS in, so this is part of the equation... There is also a plug that resembles the LVDS male socket. Both most likely must be connected to another unit, as this one here on the picture does not have connectors for the cables you placed above... were there no manual in the box? Return it then...
Old 12-12-2022, 11:13 AM

S400 Hydrid 2011 Japan
W221 NTG 3.0 japan carplay

Thank you. There is manual but it seems that a cable supposed to be connected in order to insert the unit in between. I was looking for another way for video signal to reach the monitor.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by luciancotocea
Thank you. There is manual but it seems that a cable supposed to be connected in order to insert the unit in between. I was looking for another way for video signal to reach the monitor.
Hey Lucian,

Sorry, I did not do the installation myself, I had a audio shop do the work.
from what I saw, looking over his shoulder, the limcet came with all of the necessary cables
and was basically placed in between the command unit and the wiring harness.

From memory, I think that maybe the optic cable (MOST) was removed from the old
harness and plugged into the new one at some point.

When I am using my limcet, I also make sure that I have chosen the 'video' channel on the
command menu, then I use the Tel/Navi button with a long press to switch to car play.

I believe my audio come in via the MB video channel.

Have you changed the optic fibre ?

Have you selected 'video' on Command, before you switch into Car Play ??

Let me know.

john
Old 12-13-2022, 01:36 AM

S400 Hydrid 2011 Japan
S400 Japan Carplaymodule installation

Hey Lucian,

Sorry, I did not do the installation myself, I had a audio shop do the work.
from what I saw, looking over his shoulder, the limcet came with all of the necessary cables
and was basically placed in between the command unit and the wiring harness.

From memory, I think that maybe the optic cable (MOST) was removed from the old
harness and plugged into the new one at some point.

When I am using my limcet, I also make sure that I have chosen the 'video' channel on the
command menu, then I use the Tel/Navi button with a long press to switch to car play.

I believe my audio come in via the MB video channel.

Have you changed the optic fibre ?

Have you selected 'video' on Command, before you switch into Car Play ??

Let me know.

john
Hello John,

Thank you for your reply. I will check the video for the audio signal as you said when I will have installed it. I don't have AUX in the main menu activated and I don't know how to enter the engineering menu since the mute button on the center console is actually for towing theft alarm settings.
I found the second LVDS connector, yuppie. This Japanese command unit has so many connectors on the back. I will try first to maintain the optic fiber by installing in the new connector. I see the space behind the command unit is very tight. Did you manage to place the Limcet unit in the command unit compartment? Moreover, there is also the iPod interface unit there which is pretty big. I was thinking to have Limcet unit placed in the glove box. I still study how that can be possible. Or maybe to remove the iPod interface and to install Limcet unit in its place.
Kind regards,
Lucian
Old 12-14-2022, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by luciancotocea
Hello John,

Thank you for your reply. I will check the video for the audio signal as you said when I will have installed it. I don't have AUX in the main menu activated and I don't know how to enter the engineering menu since the mute button on the center console is actually for towing theft alarm settings.
I found the second LVDS connector, yuppie. This Japanese command unit has so many connectors on the back. I will try first to maintain the optic fiber by installing in the new connector. I see the space behind the command unit is very tight. Did you manage to place the Limcet unit in the command unit compartment? Moreover, there is also the iPod interface unit there which is pretty big. I was thinking to have Limcet unit placed in the glove box. I still study how that can be possible. Or maybe to remove the iPod interface and to install Limcet unit in its place.
Kind regards,
Lucian
Hello again,

Yes, engineering mode on a Japanese MB s500 is different. I have tried all the options and button sequences but have not been successful.
Even MB in Abu Dhabi don’t know how to do it. So my dashboard clock is on Japan time because it obtains its time from GPS and thinks it is in Japan!

I am told that I could install a ‘local’ command unit from a local spec car, but can’t be bothered, as it is a small inconvenience with the clock and everything else working, so I don’t want to take any risks.

I don’t think I had AUX either, this is why they used the TV input from my Japanese Television option.
This is why I have to make sure that my COMMAND is on TV or VIDEO before I drive the car and this allows the audio from the LIMCET to come through the speakers.
If I they and select Video once I am driving, the MB Command won’t let me as it is a safety breach. I guess it wants me to watch the road.

Given yours is a not a S500, I don’t know if you have an Optic Fibre audio circuit that connects all the audio devices ??
If you do, my understanding is that you MUST sift the optic fibre from the vehicle connector, to the LIMCET connector, otherwise you won’t get anything out of your speakers.

My unit and others that I have seen on YouTube fits in behind the Command unit. It is a tight fit, but with some tight wrapping up of al the cables it can be done.
I have seen another video where the LIMCET is placed next to the glovebox and secured there so that it doesn’t move around or vibrate, but I am not sure how much heat
the unit gives out and if the box is touching up against the car body and the side of the glovebox, perhaps it may have heat problems ???

In any case, you are only restricted by the length of the Command and LIMCET cables. If you find a different or better spot on your car, there is nothing stopping
you from installing the box where you wish.

From a tech perspective you could possibly use the iPod connector as an input channel for the LIMCET. If you could find the right wires or Color codes, you could potentially
remove the iPod interface / socket by cutting it off and then splicing the LIMCET wires directly to it. Then you would select that input, to receive product from the LIMCET and
send it to the screen and speakers.

Some of the other guys on this forum will have much better and detailed knowledge about the similarities and differences between our two cars and whether the command system is the same and is compatible for this type of installation.

I think once you have the system opened up and can play with the different options, you will quickly work it all out.

Good luck, keep us all updated. There are a lot of people very interested in your end result….

Last edited by jmirgy; 12-14-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:47 PM

S400 Hydrid 2011 Japan
Hello again,

Yes, engineering mode on a Japanese MB s500 is different. I have tried all the options and button sequences but have not been successful.
Even MB in Abu Dhabi don’t know how to do it. So my dashboard clock is on Japan time because it obtains its time from GPS and thinks it is in Japan!

I am told that I could install a ‘local’ command unit from a local spec car, but can’t be bothered, as it is a small inconvenience with the clock and everything else working, so I don’t want to take any risks.

I don’t think I had AUX either, this is why they used the TV input from my Japanese Television option.
This is why I have to make sure that my COMMAND is on TV or VIDEO before I drive the car and this allows the audio from the LIMCET to come through the speakers.
If I they and select Video once I am driving, the MB Command won’t let me as it is a safety breach. I guess it wants me to watch the road.

Given yours is a not a S500, I don’t know if you have an Optic Fibre audio circuit that connects all the audio devices ??
If you do, my understanding is that you MUST sift the optic fibre from the vehicle connector, to the LIMCET connector, otherwise you won’t get anything out of your speakers.

My unit and others that I have seen on YouTube fits in behind the Command unit. It is a tight fit, but with some tight wrapping up of al the cables it can be done.
I have seen another video where the LIMCET is placed next to the glovebox and secured there so that it doesn’t move around or vibrate, but I am not sure how much heat
the unit gives out and if the box is touching up against the car body and the side of the glovebox, perhaps it may have heat problems ???

In any case, you are only restricted by the length of the Command and LIMCET cables. If you find a different or better spot on your car, there is nothing stopping
you from installing the box where you wish.

From a tech perspective you could possibly use the iPod connector as an input channel for the LIMCET. If you could find the right wires or Color codes, you could potentially
remove the iPod interface / socket by cutting it off and then splicing the LIMCET wires directly to it. Then you would select that input, to receive product from the LIMCET and
send it to the screen and speakers.

Some of the other guys on this forum will have much better and detailed knowledge about the similarities and differences between our two cars and whether the command system is the same and is compatible for this type of installation.

I think once you have the system opened up and can play with the different options, you will quickly work it all out.

Good luck, keep us all updated. There are a lot of people very interested in your end result….

Hello John,

I have discussed with the gentleman recommended here from Sharjah UAE, Mr. Shahzad. I will go to him for installation probably next week. He said he can activate AUX. I will revert with details and photos. Have a good weekend.
jmirgy (03-08-2023)
Old 12-14-2022, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
the clock going wrong is because devices that operate from Sat Nav based time signals - receive their info from satellites - but these all jumped to a new 19 year date mess up in May 2019. The issue on garmin and tomtom devices can be fixed by updating them - this is the same for the comand unit on the w221. Software with a patched file loaded on an update CD that has all the other updates removed flashes one file to move the car to the current 19 year WNRO cycle - thousands of w221's have had the time and date fixed

and thus applying the update allows your car to understand the dates coming back from the satellites after the last WNRO event. However as you say the Japanese head unit is quite different... BenzNinja then found two update CDs for headunits that are not common in genuine European, USA, or Australian cars

when you pull those discs apart you find info that suggests they could be update discs for the Jap / Far East headunits

CD 2218270865-0001
seems to be an earlier disc for european / usa cars but ALSO did some Far East stuff - but for these its far more likely to be a strange clone of the Euro/USA comand units as all the folder structures are so similar

# SOFTWARE_HEADUNIT_JAPAN_DVD_CHANGER_NAVI_D19_1
# SOFTWARE_TELEMATIK_HU_CHINA_APPLIC_CODE_E29_9b
# SOFTWARE_TELEMATIK_HU_KOREA_APPLIC_CODE_E29_9b

CD 2218276259-0001
has support for a very different head unit for the w221 called APS (which is an acronym many other Merc models use for their comand units)? and the folder structure and Head Unit (HU) is VERY different

For any 221 car with SAT NAV across ALL FOUR update discs below - they all have the very same time / date file for the Sat Nav in the VESPUCCI folder - so the file Polar Bear patched could be used

first disc is Euro 221's
..............................................next Euro CL models that somehow have a slightly different comand unit, so support for the last update gets missed if certain CL's use the 221 disc that Xentry wrongly says is suitable
.................................................. ...............................................USA current disc
.................................................. .................................................. ........................................goodness knows

Last edited by BOTUS; 12-14-2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350 4MATIC WAGON; 1999 S420v W140 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by Doublea66
I have a Joyeauto unit for sale as well if anyone is looking. I also don’t want to deal with returning it. I have a 2010 CL550 and decided not to use the Joyeauto unit.
Do you still have this for sale?
Shoot me a PM if you do. I'm looking for one for my 2012 S65.
Thanks!
Old 03-20-2023, 01:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 s550 4matic
@jmirgy, I looked up that upgrade you mentioned ( LIMCET) but the site only shows NG4.0 and higher......I thought the w221 only used 3.0 and later 3.5 versions. If that is so....how did you get one that isn't listed?
Old 03-20-2023, 02:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E63 AMG, 2007 S550 AMG
I just installed CarPlay in my 2007 S550 and it works great with no issues on the install. The hardest thing for me was getting the AUX programmed on the AUDIO menu, which I had done at an independent MB shop. The unit I purchased was from the Kremersino Store on AliExpress: W221 NTG3.0 version, which I got for $205 (originally $225) in Nov'22. It looks like the price is up a little bit to $252 but YMMV. I also purchased a backup camera which I have yet to have time to install.

Here is the link to the unit I purchased: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22558...andl_shipto=US

I had purchased a CarPlay unit for my E63 from the same seller and both units work great. The seller is responsive with installation questions as well and includes a link and pdf for the install.

Good luck!
Pete
Old 03-20-2023, 09:00 AM

Hi Riv-stage 1.
I don't have a picture of which version command unit I have.
The installation was completed in Sharjah, UAE, by an Audio Shop, that sorted out all the details and was able to work around my Japanese spec vehicle.
I will go down to the car again shortly, and scroll through the menu / software options on command and see if it tells me which version it is.

The LIMCET spec page on the screen in the car

This is the only firmware info I can find on the Command interface. I don't know whether there is enough info here for some of the more experienced users in the group to identify which version I am running..... Good luck

Last edited by jmirgy; 03-20-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 S550
How do you know if you have ntg 3.0 or 3.5?

Thank you
Old 03-22-2023, 05:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E63 AMG, 2007 S550 AMG
It depends on your head unit and what the card slot below your CD changer looks like. Below are some images that will help differentiate.

Hope this helps.

Pete

The following 2 users liked this post by Maxfli:
Crazey (03-23-2023), riv-stage 1 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 S550
Originally Posted by Maxfli
I just installed CarPlay in my 2007 S550 and it works great with no issues on the install. The hardest thing for me was getting the AUX programmed on the AUDIO menu, which I had done at an independent MB shop. The unit I purchased was from the Kremersino Store on AliExpress: W221 NTG3.0 version, which I got for $205 (originally $225) in Nov'22. It looks like the price is up a little bit to $252 but YMMV. I also purchased a backup camera which I have yet to have time to install.

Here is the link to the unit I purchased: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22558...andl_shipto=US

I had purchased a CarPlay unit for my E63 from the same seller and both units work great. The seller is responsive with installation questions as well and includes a link and pdf for the install.

Good luck!
Pete
Do your steering controls work with also? can you push and hold the speak button for siri, etc...? Was the install easy? Music plays as well? is it easy to switch from car play to other functions?

Sorry for the all the questions, i want to order one and want to make sure i won't be dissapointed.

Thank you in adnace.
Peter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the Consensus on Apple CarPlay for W221?