Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

OM642 low pressure oil circuit air cooling radiator retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OM642 JWK
OM642 low pressure oil circuit air cooling radiator retrofit

Folks, i try to retrofit an oil radiator to OM642 engine to the low pressure circuit pictured bellow but can t find the oil circuit/flow diagram/ schematic to find out more about it.
Any input is welcomed, cheers to all,

Old Today, 04:32 AM

Wrangie, how did this project pan out? I’m embarking on the same additional oil cooling adventure and looking for tried options.

I’m considering upsizing my stock oil cooler also but havent found any improvement data on that.

i also see 265*+ OT going up grades, even mitigating kt with the standard drop gear, heater on, it just maintains it there pushing 55-60mph.

also been hunting for oil flow diagram without luck. I’ve seen some ppl use the insane diesel oil fitration kit and hook up a cooler in line but I’m dubious about dumping the oil from the cooler into the filler as opposed to its normal route st the base of the oil filter.

appreciate any solutions you came up with or problems to avoid.

Thanks!
Old Today, 05:46 AM

OM642 JWK
@davlyn , I swapped the OM642 to a Jeep and my goal was to move the oil filter since it was sitting very close to the steering box and i thought it would be a good chance to also fit an radiator with this oportunity since the OM642 oil cooling and it s factory cooler aren t as much efficient since the oil temp is reaching high values especially on hot summer days.
First, i had the oil filter housing engine mount cutted, , raised up the upper portion to ta desired level and attempted to reunite the 3 oil circulation channels ny welding coressponding sized aluminium pipes. They wouldn t properlly weld since the housing material is a crappy zamac so what i ve ended up doing was a totally new engine mount, a plate with the 3 outputs that was bolted to the engine and connected trough teflon/steel hoses to an upper flange also having 3 inputs and the filter housing bolted to the flange

I decided to have the radiator fitted on the overpressure circuit, it could be fitted as well to the main pressure circuit but this requires the hoses connecting to the radiator to be larger and the space in the area for me and my application is restricted.

I am driving it for 2 years now and have never seen the oil temp going more than 95 celsius, and that was on a hot day and running on a hard trail, it usually sits at 85-87 degrees

Hope that help in your project

Old Today, 06:13 PM

Wow! That’s some custom work, and looks like it will last. Great job
i don't trust my welding skills to risk my engine on it yet.
i read your comment on another thread about not really liking the aux cooler kit for the G series but I’m not sure I understand the cons of that kit.

i haven't yet been able to confirm if the rear oil plug on the install instructions is a pressure or return line, either way, am I naive to think it Mercedes put this kit out, that it would be somewhat effective? I’m just weary of potential oil pressure loss.

im also considering the insane diesel oil filter adapter cap w/ outlet fitting, to cooler, back to fitting at the base of the modified om642 oil filter housing that was designed for the G series.

can I ask - looking at your picture of the engine with the filter housing removed showing pressure/return/over pressure ports. Which one is the pressure port? Drivers or pass side?

Thanks again, happy you were able to sort this out and manage the high temps of this engine, i almost gave up and left it to fate.

Attached Files
Old Today, 07:07 PM

OM642 JWK
@davlyn , the OM642 suffers in oil cooling area, especially in hot days, hence the aux oil radtiator MB engineers came with
I had a chance to inspect a G class having this aux kit fitted but i thought i can do better than this kit as the placement could had been improved and the tubes-hoses routing design they came with wasn t suitable for my application, it had a pretty much simillar oil filter housing engine mount / possition (only that it has an oil output) and the oil housing possition was what i needed/wanted to change.
However i m not sayng the MB kit is a bad setup, it will improve the oil cooling as well that s guaranteed, only that it didn t suit my needs and i thought i can also make it more efficient.I don t think that the MB kit will lead to pressure decrease as i remember it having also big size hoses.

I don t know about MB kit but with the above setup i went from 1.2-1.3bar idle pressure to 1.8-1.9, values measured at 85-90 celsius. I would say that the originial oil filer housing engine mount is pretty restrictive.
The pressure port is on the driver side, passanger side is the return.
If you want to improve the engine cooling you can take the MB kit or hunt for the parts individually or you can do a simillar project as mine, asyou allready have the essential info.
Deppending on the radiator and hoses you ll use, can bolt the radiator to pressure or return line and probablly it will increase the efficiency even more.