safe engine bay detailing..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 01:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63s Estate Edition 1
safe engine bay detailing..

Hi all,

As you can see from my pics I have dressed up my engine bay with an assortment of upgrades. I take my car to many shows and meets here in Australia. My question is around safely detailing (no wanting to foul electrics etc) and cleaning the dark factory plastics. ie; wheel well cover, plastic reservoir bottles, wiring loom covers etc etc. The rest of all the painted / anodised gear is pretty easy to keep clean by just wipng dust off etc. How do you all (those that do like to keep their engine bays new looking) keep these factory areas clean?

Do you:
  • snow foam the whole engine back, rinse then dry with a blower and / or microfibre?
  • do each part(s) by hand with detailing brushes and "plastc revivial" sprays and then microfibre dry?
  • other? (if so, what is your "other"?)
Current pics below do show it looking pretty clean and fresh but in the real life the black plastics and hard to reach spots are looking not so great... Cheers,

Matt

The beast below on the street.... Edition 1 wagon with 500 rwkw / 1000nm.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 243 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
Old 10-02-2022, 10:27 AM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
With modern engine bays, you can pressure wash as long as you keep the pressure washer nozzle at a safe distance from electrical components, connections etc. Since you have open air filters, I’d cover them with plastic bags, taped to avoid getting water into the intakes/turbos.

Using something like a Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing or Koch Chemie Green Star (Gs) as a finishing dressing is recommended. Follow the directions.

Here’s a great guide/process to follow:
The following users liked this post:
mjcw77 (10-03-2022)
Old 07-05-2024, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 c63s coupe
Engine caps

Originally Posted by mjcw77
Hi all,

As you can see from my pics I have dressed up my engine bay with an assortment of upgrades. I take my car to many shows and meets here in Australia. My question is around safely detailing (no wanting to foul electrics etc) and cleaning the dark factory plastics. ie; wheel well cover, plastic reservoir bottles, wiring loom covers etc etc. The rest of all the painted / anodised gear is pretty easy to keep clean by just wipng dust off etc. How do you all (those that do like to keep their engine bays new looking) keep these factory areas clean?

Do you:
  • snow foam the whole engine back, rinse then dry with a blower and / or microfibre?
  • do each part(s) by hand with detailing brushes and "plastc revivial" sprays and then microfibre dry?
  • other? (if so, what is your "other"?)
Current pics below do show it looking pretty clean and fresh but in the real life the black plastics and hard to reach spots are looking not so great... Cheers,

Matt

The beast below on the street.... Edition 1 wagon with 500 rwkw / 1000nm.
I am trying to dress my engine..I have a window see-through hood. where did you get the engine caps..red? Or did you just paint the oem ones.
Old 07-05-2024, 05:23 AM

Received 156 Likes on 125 Posts
SL63
Nice trophy. best detailed at meet?
Old 07-05-2024, 09:31 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63S
Your car looks perfect so just keep doing what you're doing