Sponsored by:

Car super sluggish after touchless car wash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 02:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus IS
Car super sluggish after touchless car wash

I have a 2021 w205 C63 sedan. Drove the car through a touchless car wash (used this one before no problems) it has the underside spray as well when you enter the tunnel. Anyways, car feels sluggish after car wash at WOT.

No lights on the dashboard or anything, but even 30-45 mins after wash (with continuous normal driving) when I floor it (double click) it downshifts and goes like usual but it feels like someone cut the power from about 4k rpm to redline.
It usually pulls super hard in that range, but now it feels super meh and sluggish.

Anyone else experience this?
Any ideas what this could be?

Car is stock. No tunes.
I tried in S and S+ from a rolling 35-40mph. Traction on. It always pulls hard.

This time after the wash, it feels like someone attached a parachute to my car. Never had this happen before and I use the touchless washes all the time.
Thanks

*update*
I looked at my engine data gauge cluster today. Boost bar fills up, tq hits 479 before dropping off at 5kish like usual. HOWEVER, HP never goes above 330hp.

No wonder this thing feels slow af. I don’t understand how the car is giving 479lb of tq, but only 330hp instead of the 469hp. So bizarre.
Any ideas?
Old 07-29-2022, 02:52 AM

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
2020 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Stoic_nihilist
I have a 2021 w205 C63 sedan. Drove the car through a touchless car wash (used this one before no problems) it has the underside spray as well when you enter the tunnel. Anyways, car feels sluggish after car wash at WOT.

No lights on the dashboard or anything, but even 30-45 mins after wash (with continuous normal driving) when I floor it (double click) it downshifts and goes like usual but it feels like someone cut the power from about 4k rpm to redline.
It usually pulls super hard in that range, but now it feels super meh and sluggish.

Anyone else experience this?
Any ideas what this could be?

Car is stock. No tunes.
I tried in S and S+ from a rolling 35-40mph. Traction on. It always pulls hard.

This time after the wash, it feels like someone attached a parachute to my car. Never had this happen before and I use the touchless washes all the time.
Thanks

*update*
I looked at my engine data gauge cluster today. Boost bar fills up, tq hits 479 before dropping off at 5kish like usual. HOWEVER, HP never goes above 330hp.

No wonder this thing feels slow af. I don’t understand how the car is giving 479lb of tq, but only 330hp instead of the 469hp. So bizarre.
Any ideas?
It is possible that underbody wash might have damaged exhaust valve flap connection.
When exhaust flap is not working properly, car goes into limp mode.
Take to the dealer and have them check the car.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:31 AM

Lexus IS
Thanks. Trying to make an appointment but they are so booked. Hopefully can squeeze me in for a diagnosis.
Do i tell them about the car wash? Or just say “it happened by itself”

Old 07-29-2022, 04:42 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
C63s
Thanks. Trying to make an appointment but they are so booked. Hopefully can squeeze me in for a diagnosis.
Do i tell them about the car wash? Or just say “it happened by itself”
You shouldn't have to tell a dealer why or what caused a problem. You would just be speculating. It could easily be a coincidence that something happened while you were doing something else. It's their job to figure out the issue and what caused it.
If it is infact water that caused it then it could've easily have happened driving through a puddle as well. So just tell them the problem and that's it. They can see the rest.
The following users liked this post:
ZZ33 (08-06-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 04:50 AM

Lexus IS
Thank you.
Will report back once the dealer has her.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:51 AM

Lexus IS
My service advisor diagnosed the car over the air.
told me to bring it in on Wednesday as that’s the earliest they can look at it.

Omega4 (07-29-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 511 Likes on 346 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Yeah I'd say the under car pressure jets most likely blew the connector off or got water into the plug on the H-pipe section.

At least you're booked in It'll be all fixed soon mate 👍

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2022, 09:51 PM

Lexus IS
Yea dropped it off today (Saturday morning)
Said they won’t be able to look at it until Thursday lmao. The c63 with reduced HP was getting like 20mg in the city! So ridiculous.

I got a glc 300 loaner in the meantime. It’s new 2022 with 700 miles and the new mbux system. I kind of like it, just needs a V8 in there. So weird driving a 250hp soccer mom suv.
It’s surprisingly comfortable.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:26 AM

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts
2007 E350
Said they won’t be able to look at it until Thursday lmao. The c63 with reduced HP was getting like 20mg in the city! So ridiculous.

I got a glc 300 loaner in the meantime. It’s new 2022 with 700 miles and the new mbux system. I kind of like it, just needs a V8 in there. So weird driving a 250hp soccer mom suv.

thats a good thing. Depending on how long you drive the glc it will renew your feeling of the c63 like when you first got it
Stoic_nihilist (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 01:56 PM

Lexus IS
Omg I didn’t even think about that!
Great point!
Old 07-31-2022, 08:31 PM

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts
2018 C63s

****Omg you are so lucky they even gave you a Benz loaner! Here in my area near Washington, DC things got so bad with not having inventory that my friends Benz got hit by another car and was being repaired and they gave him a....wait for it..... a Toyota Yaris to drive that was in their used car lot! Thankfully, it was only for a week or so and they got his Benz fixed but holy crap what a step down from a C63s to a Yaris!!! Probably didn't impress too many of the partners at his law firm (He's a partner..managing partner no less...). We had major major issues here with no rental or loaner cars as we are near two major airports (BWI and Dulles) and supply chain issues plus the overall market just really messed things up here.

Thankfully things are better now somewhat. Pic below I got off the internet. My friends loaner Yaris wasn't even a cool red but a crummy dingy silver and the car was missing a wheel cover as well. I guess it was better than walking in his Ferragamo's or riding his Schwinn bicycle, but not by much! He did Uber most days, but used the Yaris car for some shopping, and dropping off his dry cleaning, etc...

I guess he can laugh about it now...

Jszlaga (03-29-2023)
Old 08-01-2022, 08:17 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by MaxVO2
****Omg you are so lucky they even gave you a Benz loaner! Here in my area near Washington, DC things got so bad with not having inventory that my friends Benz got hit by another car and was being repaired and they gave him a....wait for it..... a Toyota Yaris to drive that was in their used car lot! Thankfully, it was only for a week or so and they got his Benz fixed but holy crap what a step down from a C63s to a Yaris!!! Probably didn't impress too many of the partners at his law firm (He's a partner..managing partner no less...). We had major major issues here with no rental or loaner cars as we are near two major airports (BWI and Dulles) and supply chain issues plus the overall market just really messed things up here.

Thankfully things are better now somewhat. Pic below I got off the internet. My friends loaner Yaris wasn't even a cool red but a crummy dingy silver and the car was missing a wheel cover as well. I guess it was better than walking in his Ferragamo's or riding his Schwinn bicycle, but not by much! He did Uber most days, but used the Yaris car for some shopping, and dropping off his dry cleaning, etc...

I guess he can laugh about it now...

Yea I guess I can see your point. I was lucky as someone returned the glc right while I was there so right place right time. They were going to give me an E350 loaner first but it was blocked by a customers car and couldn’t find him to move it.

I don’t really care what loaner they give me, they were going to call my a Lyft, and I said I’ll take any loaner, I don’t care if it’s a Toyota Corolla, my ego isn’t that big where I need to be in a benz (ironic to say because of the c63, I know, but I got that car for power and driving experience instead of badge and prestige)

I used to work for enterprise rent a car a long time ago and guys who had a c300 in the shop HAD to get a nice car cuz (can’t be seen in a Toyota) I always thought they were such huge douche bags for it.

tldr. Your friend should be stoked he actually got a loaner instead of riding his bicycle. And for me, I didn’t care what they put me in, I don’t need to show everyone how small my dik is with a c300 loaner, I can do that when I downshift to 2nd gear at 5k rpm in my v8 in stop and go traffic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stoic_nihilist:
'1663s (08-05-2022), Baltistyle (08-05-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Whaaaaaat? They can diagnose car over the air? Since when?????
Old 08-04-2022, 03:22 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by munis
I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.
Not sure since when, this is my first benz ever and it’s a 2021. I’m sure newer cars in general can be scanned over the air for codes etc.

Maybe it’s connected to the apps like Mersedes me etc. Not sure.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,818 Likes on 2,552 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by munis
Yes, they can. It's one of the Mercedes me connect services.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:51 PM

Lexus IS
Update from my service advisor after a week of waiting for the car to be looked at.

”We looked at your car yesterday and today, it does not seem to be an issue with the exhaust flaps. The shop foreman has opened a case with engineering to see what they say.
We noticed that the initial power seems good, however, it seems to lose boost pressure around 4500 rpm“

Who here wants to take bets I’m getting a new exhaust?
Old 08-06-2022, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update from my service advisor after a week of waiting for the car to be looked at.

”We looked at your car yesterday and today, it does not seem to be an issue with the exhaust flaps. The shop foreman has opened a case with engineering to see what they say.
We noticed that the initial power seems good, however, it seems to lose boost pressure around 4500 rpm“

Who here wants to take bets I’m getting a new exhaust?
Tell them to replace all 3x flap actuators first. Bet you it'll fix it.

If they don't want to, book it in with another dealer. They're mucking around too much.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:30 AM

Received 204 Likes on 131 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Thanks
?
Sorry to hear about your issues bud. What does this ultimate touchless carwash look like? Sorry to be a pain in the **** but can you post a photo of this joint so everyone can avoid the exhaust boom boom too? I've never heard of this happening so I'm just hella curious on what it is 🧽🧽🧽

George.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by George_1992
Sorry to hear about your issues bud. What does this ultimate touchless carwash look like? Sorry to be a pain in the **** but can you post a photo of this joint so everyone can avoid the exhaust boom boom too? I've never heard of this happening so I'm just hella curious on what it is 🧽🧽🧽

George.
I think it's one of these things

The following 3 users liked this post by Jimmy_c63s:
MB2timer (06-27-2024), Stoic_nihilist (08-06-2022), ZZ33 (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 03:13 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
Tell them to replace all 3x flap actuators first. Bet you it'll fix it.

If they don't want to, book it in with another dealer. They're mucking around too much.
yea I texted my service advisor what you said. Let’s see what they do. I logged the miles when I turned it in, and saw the current mileage on the Mercedes me app…. They added 10 miles to her.
Im guessing you don’t need 10 miles of driving flooring the car to see boost cutoff at 4k rpm.
lmao like where did they even go? 10 miles is a lot.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yea I texted my service advisor what you said. Let’s see what they do. I logged the miles when I turned it in, and saw the current mileage on the Mercedes me app…. They added 10 miles to her.
Im guessing you don’t need 10 miles of driving flooring the car to see boost cutoff at 4k rpm.
lmao like where did they even go? 10 miles is a lot.
Good you're logging the miles mate. Keep an eye on her hope they move their as*ses & fix it up soon.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:42 PM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by George_1992

George.
It looks like any regular touchless car wash.
I’ve used other washes before with under body sprays and never had this issue before.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:17 AM

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
16' C63s, 22' RAM 1500
Originally Posted by AMG82
It is possible that underbody wash might have damaged exhaust valve flap connection.
When exhaust flap is not working properly, car goes into limp mode.
Take to the dealer and have them check the car.
I can vouch for this.. a bad flap= horrible limp mode with no check engine light.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It looks like any regular touchless car wash.
I’ve used other washes before with under body sprays and never had this issue before.
Originally Posted by Iridium.C63s
I can vouch for this.. a bad flap= horrible limp mode with no check engine light.
In this instance I'm curious if the high pressure water has caused his exhaust flap to become stuck or if it's blasted the flap motor and killed it.

We shall see. But one thing's for sure I won't be using a car wash especially after seeing this thread. Had enough of the exhaust flap issues in my years of ownership!

Old 08-08-2022, 04:11 PM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
In this instance I'm curious if the high pressure water has caused his exhaust flap to become stuck or if it's blasted the flap motor and killed it.

We shall see. But one thing's for sure I won't be using a car wash especially after seeing this thread. Had enough of the exhaust flap issues in my years of ownership!

so ridiculous that a German muscle cars kryptonite is a car wash.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car super sluggish after touchless car wash