EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Inside the Mind of a Luxury Car Buyer: More Than Just a Midlife Crisis on Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 07:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Inside the Mind of a Luxury Car Buyer: More Than Just a Midlife Crisis on Wheels

Ever wondered why someone would trade their firstborn for a car? (Okay, maybe not literally, but you get the idea.) It's not just about the heated massage seats or the champagne cooler in the glovebox. There's a whole psychology behind the luxury car craze, a mix of desires and delusions that these automotive masterpieces tap into. Let's buckle up and take a joyride through the seven quirks and cravings that drive luxury car buyers.

1. Value Beyond the Sticker Shock:

Sure, luxury cars cost a pretty penny, but for the discerning buyer, it's about more than just a fancy set of wheels. It's about investing in a legacy of craftsmanship that could make a Fabergé egg blush. It's about the feel of hand-stitched leather that whispers sweet nothings to your fingertips and the purr of an engine that could lull a baby to sleep (or wake the neighbors).

2. A Symbol of Status (and Maybe a Slight Superiority Complex):

Let's face it, a luxury car is a head-turner. It's a way to say, "I've made it," without having to shout it from the rooftops. It's a status symbol, a badge of honor, and maybe, just maybe, a subtle way to remind everyone else that you're winning at life.

3. Confidence on Wheels:

There's something undeniably empowering about driving a luxury car. It's like a shot of espresso for your ego, a way to channel your inner James Bond (even if you're more of a Clark Kent type). Suddenly, parallel parking seems like a breeze, and traffic jams become a chance to showcase your impeccable taste.

4. Fueling the Need for Speed (and a Touch of Tech Envy):

Car enthusiasts aren't just passionate; they're downright obsessed. They dream of torque, drool over horsepower, and get giddy over the latest gadgets and gizmos. Luxury cars cater to this insatiable need for speed and tech, offering a driving experience that's less about getting from point A to point B and more about feeling like you're piloting a spaceship.

5. The Luxury Experience: Because Pampering is a Perk:

Luxury isn't confined to the car itself; it's a lifestyle. From the moment you step into a showroom that looks more like an art gallery, to the white-glove service that follows, every interaction is designed to make you feel like royalty (even if you're just a regular Joe with a hefty bank account).

6. Craftsmanship Obsession: Because Perfectionism is a Virtue:

Luxury car buyers have an eye for detail that would make a hawk jealous. They obsess over the stitching, swoon over the paint job, and lose sleep over the alignment of the headlights. For them, perfection isn't just a goal; it's a requirement.

7. The Allure of Exclusivity: Because Who Wants to Be Common Anyway?

Limited editions, rare models, bespoke options – these are the holy grails of luxury car buyers. Owning something unique and coveted is the ultimate flex, a way to prove that you're not just part of the crowd, you're leading it.

There you have it. The luxury car buyer isn't just purchasing a car; they're buying into a fantasy, an escape, a way to express themselves, and perhaps even indulge in a little harmless vanity. And who can blame them? After all, life's too short to drive a boring car. So, where do you stand? I bet you're thinking about it now!

Old 06-08-2024, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 711 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I admire people who don't look at cars that way. Can't say that I am that emotionally developed.

Just to add to that I once showed my son a picture of a black ruby W222 with AMG package and 20 inch wheels. As I told him how beautiful I thought it was and he responded by saying, "That's an azzhole car dad". While not universally true, my observation is that list could include higher than average levels of narcissism.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-08-2024 at 11:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
carlosinseattle (06-13-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 12:08 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I admire people who don't look at cars that way. Can't say that I am that emotionally developed.

Just to add to that I once showed my son a picture of a black ruby W222 with AMG package and 20 inch wheels. As I told him how beautiful I thought it was and he responded by saying, "That's an azzhole car dad". While not universally true, my observation is that list could include higher than average levels of narcissism.
I absolutely love it! The genuine and unapologetically honest expression of a child is truly something to treasure and appreciate. It's the kind of sincerity that can simultaneously bring a smile to your face and make you reflect!

​​​​​​Truth be told, I've got a weakness for luxury cars. I remember the first time I sat in one, the leather seats hugging me in comfort, the sleek dashboard whispering promises of power. But it's not the usual glitz and glam that gets me going. It's not the glossy brochures or celebrity endorsements. Instead, I find myself grappling with a more complex question: what makes someone shell out a small fortune for a car? And could I ever justify doing the same? Being prone to introspection, I tend to pick apart my own motivations, especially when it comes to significant purchases like that.

We all know the usual reasons: status, luxury, performance. It's the classic "midlife crisis on wheels" image, and there's a certain appeal to it. It's hard to deny the feeling of success, the admiration from others, and the sheer thrill of driving a high-performance machine. The exhilaration of the engine's roar, the smoothness of the ride, and the envy in the eyes of onlookers—these are the moments that make luxury car ownership truly special. Heck, I've even caught myself feeling a little smug when people do double-takes or slow down to a crawl in the next lane, trying to figure out what I'm driving. It's especially amusing when it's fellow Mercedes owners who've never seen an EQS before – that thing is as rare as a unicorn where I live!

But that little rush of ego isn't the whole story. In fact, it sparked a deeper curiosity about the psychology behind luxury car ownership. I've noticed something interesting: some of the wealthiest people I know drive surprisingly modest rides. We're talking outdated, even boring cars. It made me wonder if the whole status symbol thing was just a big, shiny cliché. Would I be okay driving a luxury car that didn't scream, "Look at me!"

The more I pondered it, the more I realized it's not a simple question. Sure, some people buy into the image, but others truly appreciate the craftsmanship, the technology, and the history behind these brands. For them, it's an investment, a passion, a reflection of who they are. For me, it would come down to value—it would have to be a smart financial decision, not just an emotional one.

However, it's crucial not to overlook luxury car ownership's less glamorous aspects. These vehicles, while undeniably alluring, are not environmentally friendly, and their price tags are astronomical. The concept of status can feel hollow, particularly when you witness individuals with significant wealth opting for a more inconspicuous lifestyle. Additionally, the maintenance costs can be exorbitant, and the constant pressure to keep up with the latest models can be stressful.

Here, the power of dialectical thinking becomes evident. It's about recognizing the allure of luxury while confronting the ethical and environmental concerns. Dialectical thinking, in this context, means holding two seemingly contradictory ideas in your mind at the same time and finding a way to reconcile them. It's about embracing the complexities, challenging our preconceived notions, and looking at both sides of the coin. Rather than simply admiring luxury car buyers, I sought to delve into their motivations, question their priorities, and initiate a broader dialogue.

Through my introspective journey into the world of luxury car ownership, I've come to a deeper understanding of my own values and the kind of impact I want my choices to have on the world. I've realized that luxury, for me, is not about the price tag or the status it confers. It's about the joy of driving, the appreciation of fine craftsmanship, and the responsibility to make ethical choices. And that, perhaps, is the most valuable luxury of all.

Last edited by J_Boxer; 06-09-2024 at 12:32 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by J_Boxer:
Carbon Dated (06-09-2024), carlosinseattle (06-13-2024), LAZARU5 (06-10-2024), MBNUT1 (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 02:32 AM

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts
23'EQS AMG
Well, in very simple but accurate meaning of luxury, "is the ability to possess something that you want but not need." From my lens of relativity, anything that you want and can have is considered a luxury. A Ford Focus is a luxury for someone that can only possess a bicycle. But if the bike rider doesn't care for or want a Ford Focus, it's not a luxury to him/her.

I really don't put too much weight on what other people think of me based on what I possess. If someone likes it and gives a compliment, it's about the car (object) and not about me. And since the car can't show gratitude, I say thank you on it's behalf. Folks, the object is apart from you, not a part of you despite it being in your possession. Don't give yourself a big head.

Think of it this way. If you've fallen for the luxury buyer mentality, humility is the virtue that squashes vices of the mentality of a luxury car buyer.
The following 5 users liked this post by MB37:
Carbon Dated (06-09-2024), J_Boxer (06-09-2024), LAZARU5 (06-10-2024), MBNUT1 (06-09-2024), QuadBenz (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 05:14 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by MB37
Well, in very simple but accurate meaning of luxury, "is the ability to possess something that you want but not need." From my lens of relativity, anything that you want and can have is considered a luxury. A Ford Focus is a luxury for someone that can only possess a bicycle. But if the bike rider doesn't care for or want a Ford Focus, it's not a luxury to him/her.

I really don't put too much weight on what other people think of me based on what I possess. If someone likes it and gives a compliment, it's about the car (object) and not about me. And since the car can't show gratitude, I say thank you on it's behalf. Folks, the object is apart from you, not a part of you despite it being in your possession. Don't give yourself a big head.

Think of it this way. If you've fallen for the luxury buyer mentality, humility is the virtue that squashes vices of the mentality of a luxury car buyer.
That is a fantastic perspective and an honest point of view!
MBNUT1 (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 05:34 AM

Received 312 Likes on 201 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
It's an interesting list that makes one think, but heavy on worrying about what other people think of the owner and his/her car. I've mentioned it elsewhere here, but I just don't think people care about what car someone drives like in past decades. It seems like everyone now either can't afford a bus ticket, or is driving the newest Range Rover, BMW, or Mercedes. I marvel at my young neighbors and their uber expensive cars--across the street two houses--new Range Rover and new Escalade, and new Range Rover and new Infiniti giant SUV whatever it is called. It is super rare that anyone comments on my cars anymore unlike in past decades when I was driving a 911 or Cayman that got attention everywhere. I don't care and prefer to fly under the radar, so it is fine with me.
The following 4 users liked this post by nath_h:
carlosinseattle (06-13-2024), J_Boxer (06-09-2024), MBNUT1 (06-09-2024), Wimbush (Yesterday)
Old 06-09-2024, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by J_Boxer
I absolutely love it! The genuine and unapologetically honest expression of a child is truly something to treasure and appreciate. It's the kind of sincerity that can simultaneously bring a smile to your face and make you reflect!

​​​​​​Truth be told, I've got a weakness for luxury cars. I remember the first time I sat in one, the leather seats hugging me in comfort, the sleek dashboard whispering promises of power. But it's not the usual glitz and glam that gets me going. It's not the glossy brochures or celebrity endorsements. Instead, I find myself grappling with a more complex question: what makes someone shell out a small fortune for a car? And could I ever justify doing the same? Being prone to introspection, I tend to pick apart my own motivations, especially when it comes to significant purchases like that.

We all know the usual reasons: status, luxury, performance. It's the classic "midlife crisis on wheels" image, and there's a certain appeal to it. It's hard to deny the feeling of success, the admiration from others, and the sheer thrill of driving a high-performance machine. The exhilaration of the engine's roar, the smoothness of the ride, and the envy in the eyes of onlookers—these are the moments that make luxury car ownership truly special. Heck, I've even caught myself feeling a little smug when people do double-takes or slow down to a crawl in the next lane, trying to figure out what I'm driving. It's especially amusing when it's fellow Mercedes owners who've never seen an EQS before – that thing is as rare as a unicorn where I live!

But that little rush of ego isn't the whole story. In fact, it sparked a deeper curiosity about the psychology behind luxury car ownership. I've noticed something interesting: some of the wealthiest people I know drive surprisingly modest rides. We're talking outdated, even boring cars. It made me wonder if the whole status symbol thing was just a big, shiny cliché. Would I be okay driving a luxury car that didn't scream, "Look at me!"

The more I pondered it, the more I realized it's not a simple question. Sure, some people buy into the image, but others truly appreciate the craftsmanship, the technology, and the history behind these brands. For them, it's an investment, a passion, a reflection of who they are. For me, it would come down to value—it would have to be a smart financial decision, not just an emotional one.

However, it's crucial not to overlook luxury car ownership's less glamorous aspects. These vehicles, while undeniably alluring, are not environmentally friendly, and their price tags are astronomical. The concept of status can feel hollow, particularly when you witness individuals with significant wealth opting for a more inconspicuous lifestyle. Additionally, the maintenance costs can be exorbitant, and the constant pressure to keep up with the latest models can be stressful.

Here, the power of dialectical thinking becomes evident. It's about recognizing the allure of luxury while confronting the ethical and environmental concerns. Dialectical thinking, in this context, means holding two seemingly contradictory ideas in your mind at the same time and finding a way to reconcile them. It's about embracing the complexities, challenging our preconceived notions, and looking at both sides of the coin. Rather than simply admiring luxury car buyers, I sought to delve into their motivations, question their priorities, and initiate a broader dialogue.

Through my introspective journey into the world of luxury car ownership, I've come to a deeper understanding of my own values and the kind of impact I want my choices to have on the world. I've realized that luxury, for me, is not about the price tag or the status it confers. It's about the joy of driving, the appreciation of fine craftsmanship, and the responsibility to make ethical choices. And that, perhaps, is the most valuable luxury of all.
I appreciate the spirit that the post was received and the level of introspection.

My son's point of view (may be or may not be) influenced by working for some uber wealthy people. (Ferried to an interview in the boss's private Global 6000 (only passenger)) Other bosses son's talked to him about their Bugatti's. I could go on...

One study that tends to support his comment is this one:
"Flashing crosswalk lights are no match for flashy cars, according to a new UNLV study which found that drivers of expensive cars are least likely to stop for crossing pedestrians."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...%20pedestrians.

Personally the whole climate change issue has ruined it for me which is doubly frustrating now that I have more disposable income than in the past, but I have contributed my share to the climate crisis and can't pretend like it is not an issue, so I am willing to take some penance for that. Part of that penance is driving my wife's Kia Niro EV. It's certainly not the lap of luxury and trust me no ego strokes driving it but it is super efficient 4+ mpkwh and it's a good car, so there is that.

My E Class needs a little front end work so I have been driving my rusted Mazda 3. The only ego part of is, I would be embarrassed to drive into a car dealership with it if I were looking at another car. I think that I would hand the keys to the lot valet and say "Keep an eye on it. Last time it was here all this **** happened to it". It's that bad, but it drives great and I don't care what happens to it which is a ton of freedom.

It's funny because when my dad bought his first Mercedes it was not for ego reasons (not that he was above that sort of thing (see his 1965 Lincoln Continental convertible purchase at a later date). Mercedes were not a status symbol back then. My friends called my Dad's Mercedes an ugly little car and compared to his Dad's turquoise '64 Chrysler Newport that was a fair comment. Of course my Dad's car didn't break it's front spring within the first year of ownership either . It was way behind the times with it's 50's styling but my dad being a ethnocentric German American engineer was fed up with the junk that came out of Detroit, bought the Mercedes because of the engineering, craftsmanship, durability and focus on safety.

It was a good purchase too, fatigued from working and going to grad school at night, he ran a red light and was broadsided and walked away with a couple of scratches. Everything worked with precision and it was built with quality materials like the Ivory steering wheel. Even with it's no power anything, rubber floor mats etc it remains the definition of quality.

One of the fun things about owning one back then is that they were so rare that if you saw one oncoming you would invariably beep at each other.

To add to the comment about styling above I actually appreciate Mercedes courage with the EQS to return to a philosophy of form follows function.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-09-2024 at 06:08 PM.
nath_h (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,552 Likes on 1,649 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
To me its not about impressing other people...its about impressing myself. My car says something about my success and what I have achieved, but I like that it says that to me, I'm not looking for it to say something to other people. In fact, it says more to other people than I wish it did...
The following 3 users liked this post by SW20S:
carlosinseattle (06-13-2024), J_Boxer (06-09-2024), perlfather (06-13-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 11:47 PM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by nath_h
It's an interesting list that makes one think, but heavy on worrying about what other people think of the owner and his/her car. I've mentioned it elsewhere here, but I just don't think people care about what car someone drives like in past decades. It seems like everyone now either can't afford a bus ticket, or is driving the newest Range Rover, BMW, or Mercedes. I marvel at my young neighbors and their uber expensive cars--across the street two houses--new Range Rover and new Escalade, and new Range Rover and new Infiniti giant SUV whatever it is called. It is super rare that anyone comments on my cars anymore unlike in past decades when I was driving a 911 or Cayman that got attention everywhere. I don't care and prefer to fly under the radar, so it is fine with me.
Your post was instrumental in shaping my thoughts and providing the clarity I needed to move forward with this piece. I am deeply grateful for your contribution and the inspiration it sparked. Thank you!

When I was younger, I thought luxury cars were beyond my reach, reserved for the rich and famous, basically unattainable. But lately, it seems like everyone and their grandma is rolling around in the latest BMW or Mercedes. I mean, just look at my neighborhood. Where I live used to be a sea of sensible Toyotas and Hondas, a place where a minivan was the ultimate status symbol. Now it's like a luxury car dealership exploded! Every other driveway boasts a Tesla or a Lexus, their polished surfaces gleaming in the sunlight. It's enough to make a guy wonder, "What's the deal here?" Are these folks just trying to show off, or is there more to it than meets the eye?

Turns out, there's more to this whole luxury car thing than just flashing your wealth. It's a lot deeper than that. For many people, it's not just about showing off their current success. It's about proving how far they've come, outrunning the struggles of their past. It's like that shiny BMW in the driveway is a trophy, a reminder of how much they've achieved. For a lot of folks, it's about proving to themselves, and maybe to the world, that they've made it. That they've finally outrun the struggles of their past. It's a way to silence that nagging voice inside that says, "You don't belong here."

But hey, we're all human, right? We all want to feel accepted, to be seen as successful. Remember being a kid, flipping through those glossy car magazines, dreaming of owning that Ferrari Testarossa? That feeling doesn't just disappear. Even now, I can't help but grin when I see a Lamborghini cruising down the street or catch a glimpse of the handcrafted leather seats in a Bentley. I still get that kid-in-a-candy-store feeling.

As a kid, my bedroom walls were a shrine to these dream machines, plastered with torn-out pictures of Lamborghinis, Ferraris (or the "Testarossa," as I butchered it back then), and the iconic Porsche 911. Nowadays, my walls sport a more "mature" look, but the allure hasn't faded one bit.

Now that I'm actually in a position to afford a six-figure ride, I'm grateful for the hard work that got me here. But there's this little voice in the back of my mind, reminding me of my family's struggles and those less fortunate. It makes me question the excess of my potential purchase. To quiet that voice, I run through the reasons why this is a sound decision – reminding myself that I've got my bases covered if life throws a curveball, unlike some who might be stretching themselves too thin.

Of course, there's always the risk of going overboard. For some, the chase for luxury becomes an addiction – it's all about keeping up with the Joneses, always needing the newest, shiniest thing. But that's a dangerous path, one that can lead to financial ruin and a whole lot of unnecessary stress. It's like a hamster on a wheel, always chasing after something that's just out of reach.

But let's be real: For others, the desire for a luxury car is like a bottomless pit. It's the classic "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality on steroids. They think that if they just get the next big thing, the next flashy car, they'll finally be happy. But we all know that's not how it works, right?

Look, I get it. There's a real joy in owning something beautiful and well-made, something that reflects your hard work and success. And for some folks, these cars are more than just status symbols – they're investments, passions, even extensions of their own identity. And hey, who am I to judge?

There are those who see luxury cars as a practical choice, fitting for a growing family, or a necessary tool for their profession. It's not always about flaunting wealth but rather choosing a vehicle that meets their needs and preferences.

But let's be honest, the idea of a fancy car turning heads is tempting. For some, that shiny new car is a symbol of success, a trophy to silence those lingering doubts and insecurities. But it's crucial to remember that the thrill of a new car fades, and it doesn't necessarily bring lasting happiness or fulfillment. A shiny new ride might be a fun indulgence, but it's important to consider whether it aligns with our deeper values and goals. Some psychologists even argue that the pursuit of material possessions can lead to a kind of "hedonic treadmill" – where we constantly need more and more to achieve the same level of satisfaction.

So, before you splurge on that dream car, it might be worth taking a moment to think about what you're really after. Is it the car itself, the thrill of owning something luxurious? Or is there something deeper, like a desire for status or a way to mark a personal milestone? Maybe it's a bit of both.

I know for me, the thought of owning a luxury car was always more about the dream than the reality. While I wouldn't say no to a sleek ride, I've learned that real satisfaction comes from living a life that's fulfilling and aligned with my values. After all, a car is just a car. It can be a fun toy or a helpful tool, but it's not going to magically solve all your problems or make you a better person.

I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys their fancy car - if you can afford it and it brings you joy, go for it! And hey, I'll admit, I do love my EQS, and it definitely sparks joy! But for me, it's always been more important to be smart with my money and focus on the things that truly matter. There's a whole world out there to explore, and sometimes the most rewarding adventures don't require a luxury car at all.

Last edited by J_Boxer; 06-10-2024 at 12:11 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by J_Boxer:
MBNUT1 (06-10-2024), nath_h (06-10-2024), Wimbush (Yesterday)
Old 06-10-2024, 05:31 AM

Received 312 Likes on 201 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
I appreciate the spirit that the post was received and the level of introspection.

My son's point of view (may be or may not be) influenced by working for some uber wealthy people. (Ferried to an interview in the boss's private Global 6000 (only passenger)) Other bosses son's talked to him about their Bugatti's. I could go on...

One study that tends to support his comment is this one:
"Flashing crosswalk lights are no match for flashy cars, according to a new UNLV study which found that drivers of expensive cars are least likely to stop for crossing pedestrians."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...%20pedestrians.

Personally the whole climate change issue has ruined it for me which is doubly frustrating now that I have more disposable income than in the past, but I have contributed my share to the climate crisis and can't pretend like it is not an issue, so I am willing to take some penance for that. Part of that penance is driving my wife's Kia Niro EV. It's certainly not the lap of luxury and trust me no ego strokes driving it but it is super efficient 4+ mpkwh and it's a good car, so there is that.

My E Class needs a little front end work so I have been driving my rusted Mazda 3. The only ego part of is, I would be embarrassed to drive into a car dealership with it if I were looking at another car. I think that I would hand the keys to the lot valet and say "Keep an eye on it. Last time it was here all this **** happened to it". It's that bad, but it drives great and I don't care what happens to it which is a ton of freedom.

It's funny because when my dad bought his first Mercedes it was not for ego reasons (not that he was above that sort of thing (see his 1965 Lincoln Continental convertible purchase at a later date). Mercedes were not a status symbol back then. My friends called my Dad's Mercedes an ugly little car and compared to his Dad's turquoise '64 Chrysler Newport that was a fair comment. Of course my Dad's car didn't break it's front spring within the first year of ownership either . It was way behind the times with it's 50's styling but my dad being a ethnocentric German American engineer was fed up with the junk that came out of Detroit, bought the Mercedes because of the engineering, craftsmanship, durability and focus on safety.

It was a good purchase too, fatigued from working and going to grad school at night, he ran a red light and was broadsided and walked away with a couple of scratches. Everything worked with precision and it was built with quality materials like the Ivory steering wheel. Even with it's no power anything, rubber floor mats etc it remains the definition of quality.

One of the fun things about owning one back then is that they were so rare that if you saw one oncoming you would invariably beep at each other.

To add to the comment about styling above I actually appreciate Mercedes courage with the EQS to return to a philosophy of form follows function.
Super interesting about the academic study on pedestrian yielding and price class of car. I'd never thought about it, but it does ring true that at least some people may feel more entitled than others based on their socioeconomic class with this particular situation. If you started life on third base and everything has rolled your way, why would you not feel like you've mastered life and people should get out of your way? On the other hand, if you started life in poverty, had a bad education, and have made a series of bad decisions, why would you feel entitled to have pedestrians yield for you? In general, we here in the US could use a lot more 'we're in this life thing together and we should cooperate and respect each other', but this pipe dream seems to drift further and further out of reach.
The following 2 users liked this post by nath_h:
dangitty (06-10-2024), MBNUT1 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:20 PM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Luxury Cars: My "Luxury" Is Your "Meh"

Luxury, you know, it's a fickle mistress. One person's status symbol is another's afterthought. We all harbor our secret visions of automotive opulence, whether it's the sculpted lines of a Mercedes, the understated elegance of a BMW, or the tech-forward aura of an Audi. But true luxury transcends mere badges and price tags, right? It's that feeling you get when you sink into supple leather seats, crank up your favorite tunes on Tidal (or Spotify, Apple Music, whatever floats your boat), and just cruise. It's a little wink to yourself, a quiet "Hell yeah, I've earned this."

The truth is, luxury is different for everyone. Even the experts can't agree. Car magazines debate it endlessly, and publications like Consumer Reports and Kelley Blue Book have their own metrics. But honestly, luxury is what you make of it. It's that feeling of pure joy when you're behind the wheel, whether you're in a top-of-the-line Mercedes or a fully loaded Honda Accord with all the bells and whistles. There is a consensus that while most do not care what others think, some enjoy the benefit of the flash and/or flex aspect.

Take me, for example. My idea of luxury has evolved over time. My first taste was a brand new 2004 Toyota Avalon XLS, the boxy one. Back then, it was the peak of luxury in my world – that new car smell, the plush oversized leather seats, no bolsters, so you kinda moved around more than you’d like, the sunroof that made me feel like I was driving a spaceship. I graduated to a Kinetic Blue Acura TL Type-S, a sleek beauty that turned heads wherever I went. Then came the 2008 BMW 535i – my first foray into what I thought was "true" luxury. Don't get me wrong, it was a fantastic car, with its 21-way adjustable seats (who knew I needed that many adjustments?) and a kraftvoller Motor sporting a fat staggered tire setup that screamed Leistung, a herd of German ponies unleashed on the Kentucky Autobahn, devouring the asphalt with the precision of a Nürburgring champion—in my mind anyway! But looking back, the car's manners were more about the thrill of the drive than the serenity of the ride.

Over the years, I’ve acquired my fair share of so-called “premium” cars, including a tricked-out 2019 Honda Accord Touring. While it might not have screamed "luxury" to everyone, it sure felt like it to me. It even had a few features my 2019 Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury lacked! (Don't tell Lexus, but the Honda's infotainment system was way more intuitive, the mirrors offered better visibility, and the backseat heaters thought their sole purpose in life was to warm up pizza – a task they failed miserably at, I might add. Meanwhile, the poor souls in the back of the ES were left shivering.)
Now, I'm cruising in a $113k Mercedes EQS, which, to me, is the real deal. It's like driving a spaceship with a futuristic design (even if some say it looks like an Advil Liqui-Gel,) a whisper-quiet ride, and all the tech goodies you could dream of. But to some high roller with a Scrooge McDuck vault, my EQS might be their kid's first car while they're out there in a $425,000 Rolls-Royce Cullinan Black Badge. And that's the beauty of it – luxury is relative. It's a reflection of our individual experiences, aspirations, and financial realities. What matters most is the joy it brings, the sense of accomplishment it represents, and the personalized experience it provides.

Since the Model T first rolled off the assembly line, consumer desires and technological innovation have shaped the automotive landscape. Manufacturers are constantly striving to satisfy our cravings for increased safety, improved fuel efficiency, cutting-edge technology, and opulent amenities. It's a wild mix of what we want and what technology makes possible, and it's totally transformed what we consider "luxury" in cars.

The result is a breathtaking evolution of automotive features, constantly pushing the boundaries of what we consider "luxury."
Luxury doesn’t have to mean a six-figure price tag or a fancy emblem. It could be a first car, like an Acura TLX, a sleek Polestar, or even a souped-up Honda Accord. It’s about finding that car, the one that makes you feel like a million bucks. So go ahead, flaunt it a little—you’ve earned it!

Ultimately, luxury is all about you – your preferences, your adventures, and your journey. It’s about discovering that ideal car that makes you feel fantastic, regardless of anyone else’s opinion. From what I’ve gathered, people don’t really care about what Mr. Jones thinks, but they sure do love the FLEX!
carlosinseattle (06-13-2024), dangitty (06-13-2024), QuadBenz (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Not sure that purchasing a luxury car necessarily connotates accomplishment or earned. Some folks make that kind of money before they get out of bed in the morning. What connotates accomplishment in my view, is how you constructively impacted the world.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-13-2024 at 07:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
ILoveNY (06-14-2024), nath_h (06-14-2024), Radman991 (06-13-2024), TR-EQS (06-15-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Not sure that purchasing a luxury car necessarily connotates accomplishment or earned. Some folks make that kind of money before they get out of bed in the morning. What connotates accomplishment in my view, is how you constructively impacted the world.
It all depends on what motivates you. For me a car is absolutely an accomplishment. I have always wanted an S Class, and so did my Dad. My Dad never got to have one (although he had other nice cars) so it is absolutely an accomplishment that I am able to afford one especially so early in my life. As a car person cars are a big focus in my life and a motivation.

Positively impacting the world is very important, but there is nothing wrong with being motivated by other things.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
So if you fraudulently took Covid funds to get the money to buy it, owning it would be an accomplishment?
Old 06-14-2024, 01:15 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
So if you fraudulently took Covid funds to get the money to buy it, owning it would be an accomplishment?
I'm a bit confused. Could you please explain how the idea of fraudulently obtaining COVID funds is relevant to that statement about achieving a personal goal? It seems like a bit of a non-sequitur and, frankly, seems out of place if I'm honest. In my rather astute opinion, I see nothing in his response that warranted this example of a question. Explain your rationale. The question is about as relevant to the topic and comment as this: So if you painted your S-Class bright pink and covered it in glitter, would it be able to travel at the speed of light?
Old 06-14-2024, 02:26 AM

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts
23'EQS AMG
That's right, my friend. Luxury is relative. I do applaud you for your articulation; it makes the thread a satisfying read.

However on the note about accomplishment and luxury things, I feel that some or most people associate the two concepts to equate happiness. This, however is momentary, and not long lasting as you have noted with the change of times and different cars.

Like any healthy relationship person to person, you appreciate the other for who they are and not what they do for you or how they are associated to you. Likewise, you appreciate the object, in this case the car's design, features, and your opportunity to utilize it. But that does not give you the right to say that it is a product of your accomplishment just because it is in your possession; my friend(s), that is a selfish way of looking at the material world, and it is also a deteriorating relationship that often, if not aware, can lead to materialism.

For me, my accomplishment is knowing how many opportunities to help others that have come my way, and how I was able to help them achieve their goals in their own way. The things that I acquire or possess, for my use and enjoyment is only temporary. If someone happens to think it is a luxury, an awesome thing, I say thank you on behalf of the artist, engineer, etc. that created the thing. If I created a mod that looks or sounds good (exhaust system), and gets a compliment, then I do appreciate the compliment myself and see that mod as a self accomplishment.

I am a car enthusiast, and I do get excited with various car designs and features, but I have little attention to who actually owns the finished product. I do appreciate their experiences of the product.

Last edited by MB37; 06-14-2024 at 02:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MB37:
HBerman (06-14-2024), MBNUT1 (06-14-2024), nath_h (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 04:56 AM

Received 372 Likes on 252 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I'm a bit confused... So if you painted your S-Class bright pink and covered it in glitter, would it be able to travel at the speed of light?
Only information can travel faster than the speed at which energy is converted into matter.

I'm sticking with blaming a mid-life crisis for my MB purhase instead of admiting it was a brain fart.
Old 06-14-2024, 06:08 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
That's right, my friend. Luxury is relative. I do applaud you for your articulation; it makes the thread a satisfying read.

However on the note about accomplishment and luxury things, I feel that some or most people associate the two concepts to equate happiness. This, however is momentary, and not long lasting as you have noted with the change of times and different cars.

Like any healthy relationship person to person, you appreciate the other for who they are and not what they do for you or how they are associated to you. Likewise, you appreciate the object, in this case the car's design, features, and your opportunity to utilize it. But that does not give you the right to say that it is a product of your accomplishment just because it is in your possession; my friend(s), that is a selfish way of looking at the material world, and it is also a deteriorating relationship that often, if not aware, can lead to materialism.

For me, my accomplishment is knowing how many opportunities to help others that have come my way, and how I was able to help them achieve their goals in their own way. The things that I acquire or possess, for my use and enjoyment is only temporary. If someone happens to think it is a luxury, an awesome thing, I say thank you on behalf of the artist, engineer, etc. that created the thing. If I created a mod that looks or sounds good (exhaust system), and gets a compliment, then I do appreciate the compliment myself and see that mod as a self accomplishment.

I am a car enthusiast, and I do get excited with various car designs and features, but I have little attention to who actually owns the finished product. I do appreciate their experiences of the product.
Lot's to digest here!

Last edited by J_Boxer; 06-14-2024 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 06:10 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Buckle up, buttercup, because this conversation just took a wild turn! We were cruising along, chatting about fancy cars, and suddenly we find ourselves pondering the meaning of life. Talk about a plot twist, a detour if you will!

Sure, we can all appreciate a sleek ride and a purring engine. For some, a luxury car is the ultimate trophy, a sign they've made it. For others, it's a work of art, a testament to human ingenuity and design. And hey, who doesn't love the feeling of sinking into a plush leather seat and pretending they're in a rap video?

But let's be real, the new car smell fades faster than a summer fling. The thrill of that first drive eventually gives way to the harsh reality of bumper-to-bumper traffic and hunting for parking spaces the size of a postage stamp. So, what's the lasting appeal? What makes a luxury car worth more than its price tag?

It's in the memories we create behind the wheel – epic road trips with friends and family, laughing until our sides hurt, belting out our own version of carpool karaoke with the windows down. It's about the freedom to explore, the joy of journey, and the pursuit of dreams that stretch far beyond the open road.

But let's not get it twisted. A car, even the most extravagant one, is just a car. It won't bring lasting happiness, mend a broken heart, or solve the world's problems. It's simply a tool, a vehicle to carry us through the adventures of our lives. And your own motivations, good, bad, or indifferent, are your own and yours alone. Maybe you hustle hard to afford that luxury car because it represents security and success. Maybe you save up for a classic because you love the history and craftsmanship. Or maybe you're perfectly content cruising around in a beat-up jalopy – as long as it gets you where you need to go. Whatever your reasons, that's perfectly okay. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to your personal desires. Look, your ride is your ride. Whether you brag about it low-key or shout it from the mountaintops, that's your business. There's no need to justify your choices to anyone – you do you. And hey, maybe that luxury car is your ultimate dream, or maybe you couldn't care less about fancy features and a shiny exterior. Whatever floats your boat (or drives your car) is all good. The point is, the true luxury of life isn't found in material possessions. It's found in the richness of our relationships and the pursuit of our passions. Let's keep this conversation rolling and see where it takes us. Who knows, we might just stumble upon some unexpected truths along the way. Just don't forget to grab on to the "Oh Sh$t Bar!" because it could be a crazy ride!
HBerman (06-14-2024), MB37 (06-14-2024), Wimbush (Yesterday)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
I'm a bit confused. Could you please explain how the idea of fraudulently obtaining COVID funds is relevant to that statement about achieving a personal goal? It seems like a bit of a non-sequitur and, frankly, seems out of place if I'm honest. In my rather astute opinion, I see nothing in his response that warranted this example of a question. Explain your rationale. The question is about as relevant to the topic and comment as this: So if you painted your S-Class bright pink and covered it in glitter, would it be able to travel at the speed of light?
The message I am getting is that the ability to purchase something equals accomplishment. If that isn't the message, I'm happy to stand corrected.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-14-2024 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic

Eloquently stated.

It's funny because my Dad's first Mercedes was of the hand built era and I used to think about the people hand sewing the seat that I sat on. That connection to those craftsmen felt good to me.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-14-2024 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
The message I am getting is that the ability to purchase something equals accomplishment. If that isn't the message, I'm happy to stand corrected.
Oh please lol. Its the working and achievement to grow into a place where you have the ability to purchase a car like this that is the accomplishment. I have worked very hard and sacrificed a lot in my life to grow my business to where I could buy something that I have always wanted. Yes...that is an accomplishment. When I bought my family a nice comfortable home to enjoy, that is an accomplishment. When I take my family on a wonderful vacation that my parents weren't able to do for me, that is an accomplishment.

Of course stealing money to buy something isn't an accomplishment, you know better than that.

I have the right to consider whatever I want to be an accomplishment, thank you lol. You don't have the right to decide what other people can and can't consider an accomplishment. We live in a capitalist society, and there isn't anything wrong with being motivated by wanting to own things and have experiences...as long as thats not the only thing you measure yourself by. I can feel pride of accomplishment of being able to afford an S Class and also feel pride of accomplishment in non-material things.

A car is not a person, I don't have a relationship to it lol. Its a thing that I enjoy and I worked hard to be able to afford to buy that thing and that means something to me. If things mean nothing to you why do you own a Mercedes? Why do you post on a website dedicated to discussing that thing? Shouldn't your time and effort be spent trying to shine a light on all the others around you?

My point is, this is all nothing but an exercise in virtue signaling.

Last edited by SW20S; 06-14-2024 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by SW20S
Oh please lol. Its the working and achievement to grow into a place where you have the ability to purchase a car like this that is the accomplishment. I have worked very hard and sacrificed a lot in my life to grow my business to where I could buy something that I have always wanted. Yes...that is an accomplishment. When I bought my family a nice comfortable home to enjoy, that is an accomplishment. When I take my family on a wonderful vacation that my parents weren't able to do for me, that is an accomplishment.

Of course stealing money to buy something isn't an accomplishment, you know better than that.

I have the right to consider whatever I want to be an accomplishment, thank you lol. You don't have the right to decide what other people can and can't consider an accomplishment. We live in a capitalist society, and there isn't anything wrong with being motivated by wanting to own things and have experiences...as long as thats not the only thing you measure yourself by.

A car is not a person, I don't have a relationship to it lol. Its a thing that I enjoy and I worked hard to be able to afford to buy that thing and that means something to me. If things mean nothing to you why do you own a Mercedes? Why do you post on a website dedicated to discussing that thing? Shouldn't your time and effort be spent trying to shine a light on all the others around you?
If the ability to buy a S Class is a sign indicator of accomplishment then Elon Musk accomplished a whole lot last year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/13/b...elon-musk.html

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-14-2024 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Elon Musk has accomplished a ton. Not sure what your point is...
Old 06-14-2024, 10:49 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Firstly, thank you for responding in an open-minded, respectful way.

Here is my take, Your question seems either rhetorical, sarcastic, or overly critical. If you're trying to make a point, this seems like an extreme way to do it. The answer is obviously that it would be ethically wrong, and no interpretation of your question leads to a different conclusion. It feels like a loaded and unanswerable question with no positive outcome. This insinuation is either intentional or misguided because nothing in SW20S' post implied anything untoward. Honestly, the inherent point in your scenario and the connection to the post it was directed at just doesn't make sense to me. I am struggling to find a correlation. It's like the punishment doesn't fit the crime scenario.
SW20S (06-14-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Inside the Mind of a Luxury Car Buyer: More Than Just a Midlife Crisis on Wheels