GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 11:03 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
S550
Replacement Tires

Wife just got a nail close to the sidewall, so its time for new tires. Again.
Not quite on the sidewall, but close.
Plugged it for now till can get new tires next week.

Its an AWD, but the tires are about six months old, so there isn't much of a difference in diameter. Also, such a waste to throw away four new tires.

My question is, do the rear tires wear out faster than the front in these cars?
In that case I will put the new tires on the rear.
Old 06-22-2024, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Always put best tyres on front. Front has weight of engine, turning and braking, Rear, whilst AWD, comes along for the ride to a point. Rear brakes usually wear out first if you use cruise control a lot. Never mix tread design or brands on same axle due to different characteristics with braking, acceleration and grip differences.
Old 06-22-2024, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Someone will probably be telling you that you must replace all four tyres as it is 4x4.
I never do and I've never had a problem.
The following users liked this post:
waterzap99 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:44 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by decorily
Someone will probably be telling you that you must replace all four tyres as it is 4x4.
I never do and I've never had a problem.
I think you are right. In this case, the tires are 6 months old. It would be ridiculous to replace all four.

If the one set is almost at the end of its life and you put two new tires on there, then I can see it could maybe cause an issue. Getting rid of four new tires is just such a waste.

Last edited by waterzap99; 06-22-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2024, 11:20 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
I found rear tires wear faster.

if I have that location plugged, I will check if leaks or not for a week, then just keep using with no worries. I might put the front tires to the rear.
Old 06-28-2024, 04:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
on GLC300 #2 (GL350 before those)
Originally Posted by Teckno
Always put best tyres on front. Front has weight of engine, turning and braking, Rear, whilst AWD, comes along for the ride to a point. Rear brakes usually wear out first if you use cruise control a lot. Never mix tread design or brands on same axle due to different characteristics with braking, acceleration and grip differences.
Gonna disagree strongly here.
Newest, deepest tread go on rear axle. Such a fitment is much less likely to experience an oversteer condition, where the rear end swings around, given that the better traction is at the rear axle. Untrained (read, most all USA) drivers relatively easily handle understeer (front pushes) conditions way better than managing unfamiliar and poorly understood oversteer, thus installing new tires on the rear axle is considered safer for the general driving population.

OP, you can replace just one tire against others 6 months old! MB dealers CPO cars with two new and two original tires all the time, from 11/32" to 7/32" tread depths, so sometimes with quite a variance even on AWD.

From TireRack's write up on tire positions:
If replacing just two tires on a square setup, the question of position becomes most important - as proper tire position directly affects safety in wet or slippery road conditions. When tires are replaced in pairs, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle, with the partially worn tires moved to the front. Why? Because new tires with deeper treads on the rear axle will better maintain traction and resistance to hydroplaning - the circumstance that occurs when the tire's tread cannot process enough water to maintain effective contact with the road, causing the vehicle to lose traction.
The reason the back axle is preferred relates to what happens when a vehicle starts to hydroplane. If new tires are mounted to the front axle versus the rear, the rear tires will lose traction in wet or slippery conditions before the front. This is dangerous, as the vehicle will tend to oversteer and spin out, potentially causing loss of control. If the front tires begin to hydroplane, the vehicle naturally wants to continue moving forward, which is called understeer. Understeer is much easier to navigate, as releasing the gas pedal will slow the vehicle, helping the driver maintain better control.
Ideally, tires should be replaced in complete sets. However, when tires are replaced in pairs, the new pair should always be installed on the rear axle.

Last edited by mustbebenz; 06-28-2024 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (06-29-2024)