C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2002 C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320, 300ZXTT
2002 C240

Greetings all
My son has a 2002 C240. It has 200,000 miles, runs great and is well cared for.
t does not have an engine oil dipstick or a location where I could insert a dipstick if I purchased one (that I can find).
It does burn some oil so about once a moth the "add oil" light goes on.
The "screen" on the dash is kind of sketchy in that some of the LED's are burned-out and very hard to read so we don't know how much oil to add when it's low
and the light is on.
I've tried to research this question unsuccessfully: How low is the oil when the "add oil" light goes on? How much should we add?
Thanks in advance.
Lou
Old 06-26-2024, 10:15 AM

Received 131 Likes on 122 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
There is a special tool available for checking the engine oil directly. I have attached a document with some guidance. The document is vague. If I recall correctly, the dipsticks are not intended to be left in the car like a "normal" vehicle.

I'm not familiar with the engine in your car, but this video appears to show the location of the dipstick tube. (The video shows how to change the oil by using a fluid extractor to remove oil through the dipstick tube.)

Here is a dipstcik on the FCP website. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to fit your car. Perhaps the MB dealer in your area can find the right one for you.

On my car (05 C230), I think the warning light illuminates when the engine is one liter below full. However, I don't think my warning has ever come on. The car doesn't use much oil between changes.

I believe it is possible to replace the LCD on your car. That may be another option if you cannot find the dipstick for your car.
Attached Files

Last edited by KevinH2000; 06-26-2024 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:57 AM

C320, 300ZXTT
Originally Posted by KevinH2000
There is a special tool available for checking the engine oil directly. I have attached a document with some guidance. The document is vague. If I recall correctly, the dipsticks are not intended to be left in the car like a "normal" vehicle.

I'm not familiar with the engine in your car, but this video appears to show the location of the dipstick tube. (The video shows how to change the oil by using a fluid extractor to remove oil through the dipstick tube.)

This video may show the location.

Here is a dipstcik on the FCP website. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to fit your car. Perhaps the MB dealer in your area can find the right one for you.

On my car (05 C230), I think the warning light illuminates when the engine is one liter below full. However, I don't think my warning has ever come on. The car doesn't use much oil between changes.

I believe it is possible to replace the LCD on your car. That may be another option if you cannot find the dipstick for your car.
LCD Replacement
Wow Kevin I can't thank you enough for the knowledge, advice and links. I deeply appreciate all of it!
You are a gentleman.
Lou
Old 06-26-2024, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C240
If you go into the dyno menu it will tell you exactly how much oil is in the car.
On my C240 8Litres is the correct amount.

Turn the key once, press the stick to the left of the wheel three times quickly and find where it gives the oil capacity ( once you see oil level turn the key once more and it should then display it )
Old 06-27-2024, 07:08 AM

C320, 300ZXTT
Originally Posted by VenomX
If you go into the dyno menu it will tell you exactly how much oil is in the car.
On my C240 8Litres is the correct amount.

Turn the key once, press the stick to the left of the wheel three times quickly and find where it gives the oil capacity ( once you see oil level turn the key once more and it should then display it )
Thank you Venom