Sponsored by:

Camshaft sensor leaking again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 05:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63 S
Camshaft sensor leaking again

When I got the car used 8 months ago I noticed that the driver side camshaft sensors (both) were leaking oil in the cable, so I decided to change all 4 of them. I have got them from FCP Euro, Genuine Mercedes 2769051000.

FCP Euro link

Last weekend, I do my routine check on the connectors, and the intake driver side is leaking again. Only 4000 miles on it.
Could it be oil back from the harness? Or maybe for some reason there is more pressure on that side? When I replaced them the first time both driver side were leaking and both passenger side were clean.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:52 PM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon 1965 Austin-Healey 3000 1970 AMC AMX
Did You rinse out the plug at the ECU ?
Old 06-29-2024, 06:55 AM

2015 E63 S
Yes, with contact cleaner. I have even checked it a couple of times before and it was always clean.
Even the solenoids on the driver side had oil again, but I did not replace them, I have only cleaned them 4000 miles ago and installed the pigtails.
Passenger side solenoids are still clean...
Old 06-29-2024, 08:35 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Benz w221 s550
Originally Posted by Cla1111
Yes, with contact cleaner. I have even checked it a couple of times before and it was always clean.
Even the solenoids on the driver side had oil again, but I did not replace them, I have only cleaned them 4000 miles ago and installed the pigtails.
Passenger side solenoids are still clean...
I too have changed all the leaking camshaft solenoids AND sensors, placed the sacrificial harness' on all the aforementioned parts and I have gotten the impression the even the "newer" designed solenoids/sensors are just as susceptible to leakage as the "older" ones. The maintenance suggestions remain unchanged in checking them with every oil change for signs of leakage and cleaning them as needed. Hard to believe that these can't be manufactured to not leak. Ridiculous if you ask me
The following users liked this post:
jcarsnz (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 09:22 AM

2015 E63 S
I agree. But I was more surprised of the fact that both the originals and the replacements are only leaking in the driver side. Is this common?
​​​​​​
Old 06-29-2024, 12:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
It's hard to know if it's new oil or old harness oil re invading due to capillary action
Old 06-29-2024, 06:46 PM

Benz w221 s550
Originally Posted by Cla1111
I agree. But I was more surprised of the fact that both the originals and the replacements are only leaking in the driver side. Is this common?
​​​​​​
I personally can't attest to this but I recall reading here in the forum that some of the leak "may" be mitigated with keeping the PCV system healthy so maybe read the thread here and pay attention to reply #8 https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ak-points.html
Mr Prihadi does an outstanding dissertation regarding crankcase pressure and ventilation so maybe check the integrity of your PCV system going to the drivers side head Who knows on these over engineered cars...
Old 06-30-2024, 02:31 PM

Received 175 Likes on 149 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
I second what Peter said. But if you have the sacrificial harnesses, then I guess I'd have to assume it leaked through those to get to the sensor? 4k miles sounds like more than enough time.
If the sensor itself is not leaking/adding more oil, then it's just residual and it should not be a threat. The question is; is it or not?

I posted over a year ago about sucking the oil out of the wires, and it seems to have worked quite well, imo.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post8771425

Another thought I had, which people would be more likely to do with a sacrificial harnesses, is to cut the insulation off the wire, just a 1/2" section, and wrap it with a paper towel. Then it would wick out whatever oil
You could see if the oil qty tapers off over time, or continues. The latter telling you the sensor is still leaking. Of course you'd need to replace the paper towel once in a while and keep a fresh one there for a while after it seems to have stopped to verify it has in fact stopped and stays that way.
If you stagger the cut insulation there is no risk of shorting. I it stops altogether then I suppose you could lose the sacrificial harness, or simply wrap it in elect tape, heat shrink, or just leave the PT on there just in case.

As for the PCV, the whole engine sees the same pressure.
Ultrakla$$ic (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 04:37 PM

Benz w221 s550
Originally Posted by Chevota

As for the PCV, the whole engine sees the same pressure.
Good to know. Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-01-2024, 08:39 PM

Received 175 Likes on 149 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Being a southern redneck you should've been born with that knowledge. I was born in Calif, which I think stifled my growth because I didn't realize I was redneck until age 9. At that moment, I suddenly knew how engines work and how to fix anything with duct tape and balin' wire, as you can see with the oil leak thing

I had a 2013 E350 in Diamond White, I loved that color! But I had to have a white E550, with black interior, and Polar White was all I could find. Close enough, but I do wish I had the diamond...
You ever use Dragy on it? I was curious what kind of numbers you get.
Ultrakla$$ic (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 09:24 PM

Benz w221 s550
Originally Posted by Chevota
Being a southern redneck you should've been born with that knowledge. I was born in Calif, which I think stifled my growth because I didn't realize I was redneck until age 9. At that moment, I suddenly knew how engines work and how to fix anything with duct tape and balin' wire, as you can see with the oil leak thing

I had a 2013 E350 in Diamond White, I loved that color! But I had to have a white E550, with black interior, and Polar White was all I could find. Close enough, but I do wish I had the diamond...
You ever use Dragy on it? I was curious what kind of numbers you get.
​​​​​​
I'm a Ford Mustang guy and we ain't never had leaking camshaft nothing! We have lopey camshafts though Turn the key and just go fast! I have taken very good care of my car and never beat on it at all so I have no idea how fast it is but I'm learning how expensive it can be to own with age. Not to mention the potential for incidental cylinder wall scoring for no obvious reason but poor manufacturing ......WTH??

Diamond White Tricoat Redneck for life

Last edited by Ultrakla$$ic; 07-01-2024 at 09:38 PM.