Sponsored by:

New Car Quandry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 10:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 AMG S65 Cab. ; 2019 S65 AMG Sedan
New Car Quandry

Although I love my 2019 S65, there are a couple of issues that I've got with it. One is that it doesn't have carbon ceramic brakes. The second issue is that it kind of sucks in the winter. I've had the car for about a year and put 14k miles on it. It's been essentially problem free but it does not work well in snow. And, this past winter was relatively mild where I live. I can't imagine what it's going to be like should we have a regular winter. I am running a Michelin all season tire in the winter and it's still difficult to get around in even with just a light dusting of snow. Perhaps if I went with a dedicated winter tire, it would be better. The car is white diamond metallic and the interior is white and black. I like the color scheme a lot. I really like the V12 in this car. It's a beautiful engine and I'd like to stay with a V12. But, I'd also like a car that's better in the winter and I'd also like the CCBs.
I've been looking around at new cars and have found two totally dissimilar cars neither of which has everything I want but that attract me for a number of reasons. The first is a 2024 Maybach. It's AWD, has the V12 and is very luxurious. Interior color is silverish and exterior color is a blue metallic. Colors are nice but they would not be at the top of my list. They are acceptable. But, it doesn't have CCBs but fills the need for a V12 and AWD.
The second car is a 2024 S63 First Edition. It's also AWD. Color is magno white with black/red interior. I don't dislike the magno white but I'm not in love with it, either. The black interior is probably better for me than the white in my S65 since the black will be easier to keep clean, but It would not be a top choice for me. This car doesn't have a V12 although since it's a hybrid, I think it's got about 43% more HP and torque than the S65. So, it's got much more power than the S65. I probably won't miss the V12 with this car but the V12 is definitely nice.
So, here are my options:
1. Keep the S65, upgrade the brakes to CCBs and spend some additional $ on real winter tires and hope they improve the winter performance of the car. I don't think that the winter tires are going to be equivalent to the AWD in the Maybach and S63 but they may improve things.
2. Buy the Maybach and be without the CCBs but gain the V12 and AWD.
3. Buy the S63 and be without the V12 but pick up 43% more HP and torque and gain the AWD and CCBs.
Obviously option 1 is going to be the least expensive but I'm still uncomfortable with buying used rotors and calipers and having someone else install them. And, switching to winter tires does not guarantee my performance in winter will improve. Option 2 and 3 are going to cost me 6 figures but I get a 5 year newer vehicle with warranty and with the latest technology. Anyway, if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Thanks for any and all opinions.

Last edited by ElastomerGuy; 07-03-2024 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2024, 11:47 AM

Received 199 Likes on 131 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Your choice is easy. Order a new S63 E Performance with the specs that you want; color, leather, CCB's, everything. You can even spec out your tires and wheel size. It will take the longest, but you'll have what you want and need. I think CCB's are available again, they initially said CCB's were standard equipment on the new S63 E performance, then did a total 180 and said because of supply chain problems US cars couldn;t even be ordered with CCB's. I think things have normalized and CCB's are available. You can check on the W223 forum or call your dealer.
Old 07-03-2024, 05:06 PM

Received 152 Likes on 120 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
Be aware the 2024/2025 Maybach S680 does not use the same V12 as our S65's. For the rear drive AMG S65's the driveline has a maximum torque rating of 1,000 N-M (738 ft-lb) and the engine was tuned to that rating. The S680 AWD /9-sp driveline is rated for 900 N-M (664 ft-lb) torque.The V12 installed is re-tuned to limit torque to 664 ft-lb, a 10% reduction. Peak HP remains the same (621), but I rarely spin the engine to 5,400 RPM to see it.
I have two S65's, the 4-door has standard brakes, the A217 Cab has carbon ceramic. The two cars weights are within 50lbs of each other. There is minimal to no difference in stopping performance in daily use. The CC's make less dust, but the dust on the regular brakes is not too bad. Nothing like the dust from the standard brakes on our E63S. No way I would spend $15k to $20K to put CC's on the 4-door S65.
I plan to keep The S65 for a few more years and see what develops with the post facelift S63. Right now the dealer will not guarantee CC brakes, even if the order was accepted. MB also seems to have discontinued the bespoke Manufactur program. Now it is just a few options that can be ordered. Or its possible my dealer is just ignorant of how to do the previous bespoke program. I suppose there is always the Bentley Flying Spur Speed W12.
Keeping the S65 is easy for me since we live by the beach in SoCal, no need for AWD.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:42 PM

Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
I would go with the CCB retrofit and purchase a set of S63/65 wheels (or aftermarket if thats your style) with a quality dedicated winter setup. Its not quite a s65, but I had a rwd e63 that I had winter wheels & tires for with no issues and normal drive-ability in light snow in and around the city and bordering suburbs. For an extra level of insurance, I kept SCC z6 tire cables in the trunk. These days in my S and GLE I still keep a set of tire cables in each during the winter in addition to winter wheel setups.
Old 07-03-2024, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 385 Posts
222 S-65
Continental DWS 06 tires were great for all seasons on the 221 S65.

Give the S65 CCB and the right tires for the fourth season and enjoy it. The V-12 adds a lot to the character of the car.

I can’t stomach the massive TV screen or dash in the 223 or the exterior styling.

Seems this guy will be watching for loved S65’s well into the future.
Old 07-03-2024, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Don't blame the car for it's winter performance, blame yourself for not putting winter tires on it. All seasons are not really designed for real winters, and you/those/formerly me who live in northern climates with real winters know this... Especially on a RWD car.

In terms of the CCB, it's probably an over-rated upgrade, but if that's what you really really want, then do it; there's a thread on here somewhere that lists out all the PN's as well as that individual person's cost.

Any Maybach is a beautiful car, but I'm partial to the beauty of the 222 vs. the 223. The 223 has become too digital and bland vs. the beauty and of the 222. The S63 E performance appears to be a beast of a car, but (in my opinion with no real facts) it looks to be over complicated, heavy, and in some ways, somewhat unusable to it's true potential.

The 222 S63 with AWD and CCB's would give you what you need for the winter, but you're downgrading to the V8. The V8 is a beast of course, possibly even better performing than the V12, but there's nothing that "beats" having the V12. So I personally see this as a downgrade IF you like having a V12 (which, you said you do like the V12).

My opinion is get the winter tires on your 222. And if you have money to burn, change over to the CCB's to "complete" the package.
Old 07-05-2024, 02:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 AMG S65 Cab. ; 2019 S65 AMG Sedan
Thanks to all that provided guidance, wisdom and suggestions. At this point, I think I've decided to keep the S65 and definitely get a set of regular winter tires. I'm still on the fence about spending the money on the CCBs but may go ahead with it just because I like no dust on my wheels when I wash my car. Again, thanks everyone.