Sponsored by:

Dealership said tint is to dark for a inspection sticker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 05:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 AMG E63S Wagon 2019 AMG S63
Dealership said tint is to dark for a inspection sticker

I went to my local dealership to get a sticker and they stated my timt was too dark. The tint is in between the panes of glass and can’t be removed. I believe it’s called insulated IR + glass all around. Love getting treated like a step child because I didn’t buy my vehicle local.
Illegal tint?
Old 12-21-2022, 06:25 PM

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
Depends on your state, here in NYS, looking at your photo anyone strictly by the book would fail/deny it based on how the side windows.

For inspections I recommend never going to dealership and find a “friendly” indy
Old 12-21-2022, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by vincheung
Depends on your state, here in NYS, looking at your photo anyone strictly by the book would fail/deny it based on how the side windows.

For inspections I recommend never going to dealership and find a “friendly” indy

Looks darker than it is in certain lights. I have my rear and side shades up as well as my sun roof shades closed. Just how I like it, They allowed the car to be optioned this way and shipped here. Also It’s gotten stickers every year up till this year according to the CARFAX. It’s legal they didn’t even put the meter on it. They said to come back so we can go over options on getting it removed???? It’s not tint.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 352 Likes on 215 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
Originally Posted by Deckboss
Looks darker than it is in certain lights. I have my rear and side shades up as well as my sun roof shades closed. Just how I like it, They allowed the car to be optioned this way and shipped here. Also It’s gotten stickers every year up till this year according to the CARFAX. It’s legal they didn’t even put the meter on it. They said to come back so we can go over options on getting it removed???? It’s not tint.
Did you tell them that? I think if you told them there’s no sticker-tint they’d probably trip on their words and pass you.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=cfmistry;8690199]Did you tell them that? I think if you told them there’s no sticker-tint they’d probably trip on their words and pass you.[/QUOTE

I did and the girl from service girl had no clue what I was trying to explain. At that point I just wanted to get home and wash off the 16 fingerprints on the black door pillar that they left behind for me . I shut my door by its handle. It was another wonderful Dealer experience
Old 12-21-2022, 10:06 PM

I understand what you are saying about the insulated glass and i'm just looking at the front drivers side glass darkness. From a legal standpoint which is how the inspection regulations are written any reduction of light transmission would be considered "tinted" regardless of the type of film. All of the claims that it was previously passed wouldn't fly if the dealership is really stiff about it, I would recommend finding an indy with some tinted cars in the lot to get the inspection done.

(i'm in law enforcement, used tint meters before, its been a while since i've enforced any traffic rules and years back it was only ok to have tint on the rear passenger seats and rear windshield. Now I believe any tint is not permitted in NYS)
Old 12-21-2022, 10:42 PM

I understand what you are saying about the insulated glass and i'm just looking at the front drivers side glass darkness. From a legal standpoint which is how the inspection regulations are written any reduction of light transmission would be considered "tinted" regardless of the type of film. All of the claims that it was previously passed wouldn't fly if the dealership is really stiff about it, I would recommend finding an indy with some tinted cars in the lot to get the inspection done.

(i'm in law enforcement, used tint meters before, its been a while since i've enforced any traffic rules and years back it was only ok to have tint on the rear passenger seats and rear windshield. Now I believe any tint is not permitted in NYS)

here’s my states laws for sedans. I’ll have to find a Indy sticker shop. It never even dawned on me this could happen especially from a Mercedes dealer. Thanks for your suggestions. At least they didn’t give me a rejection.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
If the Benz dealership were correct they could not pass inspection on ANY S-class from 2014 onwards as they all have the IR glass. Obviously that is not the case.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by cfmistry
If the Benz dealership were correct they could not pass inspection on ANY S-class from 2014 onwards as they all have the IR glass. Obviously that is not the case.

Not really sure what they’re deal was. Here’s a pic of the same window in my garage with the rear shades down in a different light. It’s not dark but I. Certain lights it has a mirror looking tint. Looking at the window it seems there’s 2 separate tints sandwiched between the glass. One is like a green and the other is like a blueish both under the glass.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
No way those windows are not tinted. Even with the shades up I can clearly see into the front driver and passenger area on my S63. I would also find an indy to pass it.
Old 12-25-2022, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by superpop
No way those windows are not tinted. Even with the shades up I can clearly see into the front driver and passenger area on my S63. I would also find an indy to pass it.
Factory Mercedes Tint! Passed at another dealership when I pointed out the tint was a factory option and is placed under the glass .
The following 2 users liked this post by Deckboss:
mneely8791 (07-05-2024), vincheung (12-25-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
Factory Mercedes Tint! Passed at another dealership when I pointed out the tint was a factory option and is placed under the glass .
Actually it is placed between the two panes of “acoustic glass” and is not an option on the W222… it is standard on all of them!
The following users liked this post:
mneely8791 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 c300 Mercedes
Factory tent is too dark for inspection

I live in West Virginia. I bought a 2019 C300 Mercedes with the AMG night package used at a Nissan/Honda dealership two years ago. It has tinted windows which are at 25%. I didn’t know that at the time it was that dark. I was able to get it inspected last summer no problem. I took it to get inspected today and it won’t pass inspection. I have an appointment at the Mercedes-Benz dealership an hour away. Will they give me an inspection sticker seeing that it is a factory glass tint?
Old 07-03-2024, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by mneely8791
I live in West Virginia. I bought a 2019 C300 Mercedes with the AMG night package used at a Nissan/Honda dealership two years ago. It has tinted windows which are at 25%. I didn’t know that at the time it was that dark. I was able to get it inspected last summer no problem. I took it to get inspected today and it won’t pass inspection. I have an appointment at the Mercedes-Benz dealership an hour away. Will they give me an inspection sticker seeing that it is a factory glass tint?
Sedans regardless of brand aren't sold with factory tinting on any windows, so the "factory tinted glass" explanation wont fly. Dealerships are usually more apt to following the rules as getting caught overlooking things may be an issue with permitting/licensing. You might want to try a local mod friendly mechanic/inspection station, front windows down when you pull in.
mneely8791 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 04:52 PM

2019 c300 Mercedes
Ok thank you! That’s what I’m going to do Monday. Of course this falls on a holiday and most businesses are closed till Monday. The Mercedes dealership wanted to look at pictures so I emailed them pictures. They said they will get back to me Monday. I dad has a guy that’s aware of my predicament and is willing to take a look at it. Thank you for reaching out. I’ll let you know what happens Monday.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:08 PM

Received 352 Likes on 242 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Seems awfully silly to go to a dealer for inspection, especially when they are not aware of the options the cars they are selling have. Any idiot can tell if it’s factory or aftermarket, and I’d say it just like that, while asking for a refund. What else do they know know how to properly do if they can’t even solve this simple problem.

Do not take no for an answer. Every vehicle I have owned for the past thirty years has had some sort of factory tinting, and I have never had an issue, in the nanny state of Maryland.

people please remember when you go to a terrible dealer to let us all know so we don’t waste our time. The people that want to protect their dealers are just as bad because they’re only looking for themselves to be covered versus we, the forum, all being treated equally for equal problems. Name and shame because they don’t deserve our time, money, or to be shielded.
mneely8791 (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 02:34 PM

2019 c300 Mercedes
After sleeping on it I’m thinking of taking it back to the dealership. They sold me a car with an inspection sticker that they just applied before I bought it. They are liable for selling a car that was not legal to drive. I’m not going to the dealership now. I told the maintenance person my issue and sent pictures. I told them I’m not driving up there for nothing. Apparently they are getting back to me tomorrow. Thanks!
Baltistyle (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 06:41 PM

I got pulled over twice yesterday, once by state, once by local. My car reads 29% and when the shades are shut and the rear shade is closed it looks dark af. Problem is it’s legal and I keep getting pulled over for it. The tint is between the glass and can’t be removed I’m not gonna put new glass in it.
Old 07-04-2024, 06:52 PM

Sedans regardless of brand aren't sold with factory tinting on any windows, so the "factory tinted glass" explanation wont fly. Dealerships are usually more apt to following the rules as getting caught overlooking things may be an issue with permitting/licensing. You might want to try a local mod friendly mechanic/inspection station, front windows down when you pull in.
My 2019 S63 AMG w every rear seat option available absolutely has factory tinted glass, UV green and light blue tint both sandwiched between the glass and no removable. It’s noted on the window sticker under factory options sound insulated glass as well.
Old 07-04-2024, 07:13 PM

I didn't clarify, window tint inspection failure will be due to front driver side windows and front windshield. I should have said: No vehicles are equipped with non-compliant window tint that will block over 30% of light transmittal on the front windshield and front d/s p/s windows.
BenzNinja (07-05-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 07:30 PM

I didn't clarify, window tint inspection failure will be due to front driver side windows and front windshield. I should have said: No vehicles are equipped with non-compliant window tint that will block over 30% of light transmittal on the front windshield and front d/s p/s windows.
So the 29% VLT reading the cop read and said he didn’t give tickets for basically is the 30% tint? I’ve been pulled over 5 times in my car for the tints and I know another owner s class owner that asked me if I get pulled over often . His wife has been stopped 3 times on the hwy by state police.
Old 07-04-2024, 08:49 PM

So the 29% VLT reading the cop read and said he didn’t give tickets for basically is the 30% tint? I’ve been pulled over 5 times in my car for the tints and I know another owner s class owner that asked me if I get pulled over often . His wife has been stopped 3 times on the hwy by state police.
Have you reported this to the police departments that are harrasing drivers with stock tint? They are actually stereotyping you and using the tint as an excuse to make the stop. If they were professional, they would be able to tell from afar.. I would reach out to the department and next time it happens, cc that department head, the news, and your local state representatives. Sounds crazy but that’s what it takes to stop being harassed by those that take advantage. They are doing this everyday, taking advantage of those that pay their wage.
Old 07-04-2024, 08:53 PM

he said the dealer did not use a meter. The inspector, inspection station should be reported, the fines will make sure they follow the rules. This can cost that dealer hundreds of thousand of dollars when they lose their license. They are likely ripping people off everyday, and probably need get checked on

Boy society is doing great when both the government takes advantage of the people and the people take advantage of each other, yet people think they are above animals, haha.
Old 07-04-2024, 09:00 PM

he said the dealer did not use a meter. The inspector, inspection station should be reported, the fines will make sure they follow the rules. This can cost that dealer hundreds of thousand of dollars when they lose their license. They are likely ripping people off everyday, and probably need get checked on

Boy society is doing great when both the government takes advantage of the people and the people take advantage of each other, yet people think they are above animals, haha.
Old 07-04-2024, 09:03 PM

Yes, some could describe it as "tint" its more of like the natural darkening effect of stock glass as vehicular glass is not your standard window pane. There is a +/- figure taken into account when using the VLT/"Tint" meter. I'm a recently retired Detective (never enforced tint in my entire career) and was under the same impression that stock glass would read 100% transmittal, and then you could go to the shop and add 30%. The traffic unit guys gave me the full breakdown and said that all stock glass reads at 70% light transmittal, then we went around reading stock glass from toyotas, fords, chevys, and they would read 70 +/-. The IR coating or layer that we have in the S gives off some mirror effect but still reads within the lawful parameters.

So to further correct my initial statement, cars are not equipped with stock glass thats factory tinted beyond the 30% standard on their windshields and front passenger sides.

Last edited by vincheung; 07-04-2024 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typos and slight clarification
Deckboss (07-05-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealership said tint is to dark for a inspection sticker