W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0393 Code - Cam Shaft Position Sensor (bank 2)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 11:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CTS-V wagon
P0393 Code - Cam Shaft Position Sensor (bank 2)

I changed the plugs today on my 2016 E63 wagon and forgot to plug back up one of the cam shaft position sensors before starting the car. It threw a code (P0393), as it should, and I then realized my mistake and plugged the sensor back in. I then attempted to clear the code with my scanner but it won't seem to go away. I took the car for a 10 min drive, it seemed to drive fine, and I had hoped having the engine and ECM cycle through various functions might then clear the code or allow me to clear it... no such luck.

I've never had a code that wouldn't clear, at least for a few seconds, even if the problem still existed. So my questions are:

1) Do I need a fancier code scanner to clear this code?

2) Do I just need to drive the car further/longer?

3) Did I mess something up by starting the car without the sensor plugged in (car probably ran for 30 sec before I shut it off and plugged the sensor back in)?

4) Is something else going on that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any input,
Ryan

Old 07-07-2024, 12:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,440 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Try the key in ON position but engine off - then clear code. Works for me with icarsoft scanner .. and yes some scanners don't clear codes
Old 07-07-2024, 12:31 AM

CTS-V wagon
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Try the key in ON position but engine off - then clear code. Works for me with icarsoft scanner .. and yes some scanners don't clear codes
That's actually how I cleared it and unfortunately no luck.
Old 07-07-2024, 12:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Did you check the cps plug for oil? Did you happen to clean the connectors at the same time? You may have broken the seal by removing and reconnecting oily sensors ... is there oil at the ecu pins? If there is oil, use electric cleaner to clean the plug/connectors for the cps then let dry and re connect, re attempt clearing code

what scanner

also - why did you need to unplug cps to replace spark plugs?

Last edited by PeterUbers; 07-07-2024 at 12:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JettaRed (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,212 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
As Peter asked, what scanner do you use?
Old 07-07-2024, 09:42 AM

CTS-V wagon
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Did you check the cps plug for oil? Did you happen to clean the connectors at the same time? You may have broken the seal by removing and reconnecting oily sensors ... is there oil at the ecu pins? If there is oil, use electric cleaner to clean the plug/connectors for the cps then let dry and re connect, re attempt clearing code

what scanner

also - why did you need to unplug cps to replace spark plugs?
I did actually check the cps plugs... that was the first thing I did before messing with the plugs. The plug that I left unplugged did actually have a very small amount of oil in it (it did not 6 - 9 months ago) and I added a touch of dielectric grease to the connector as a precaution to prevent any more oil seepage until I order a set of new cps (which I plan to do this morning). Maybe the dielectric grease caused an issue? I may take some electrical spray cleaner and spray out both sides of the connector this morning and see if that makes a difference.

I don't know the exact model of my code scanner. It's just one of the cheap generic ones that you can get at any auto parts store (orange in color). It just reads codes and gives the options to clear them... that's it.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:30 AM

CTS-V wagon
Well, oddly, I got in my car this morning to go get some electrical aerosol spray and the CEL was gone. I went and got some spray anyway, since I was out of it and to put some miles on the car just to make sure, and it stayed off. Although, I scanned it again when I got home and the code is still reading active. I'm wondering if it just needs some more time/mileage to complete whatever cycles are necessary for it to ensure there isn't a problem?

Regardless, I've got ~300 miles to drive tomorrow for work, so we'll see how it goes (fingers crossed). And I went ahead and ordered four new cam sensors this morning and will install those later this week.

Thanks for the input, Peter.
PeterUbers (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Could be the grease or breaking the oil seal... either way consider the icarsoft scanner and there are a couple others better than it but it'll do the job. Clean those plugs and install those new sensors and you should be good. Skip the grease this time.

not sure if driving cycles will auto clear it. Permanent codes must be cleared by a scanner anyways and this may be one of those.
Old 07-07-2024, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Not sure if your scanner will differentiate between CURRENT and STORED codes. I recommend the LAUNCH Creader Elite 2.0 BENZ. It's cheaper than iCarsoft. I have XENTRY/SDS, iCarsoft MB II, iCarsoft MB V3.0, Autel MaxiDAS, BlueDriver, LAUNCH Creader Elite BENZ, and LAUNCH Creader Elite 2.0 BENZ. If you go iCarsoft, get the MB V3.0. If you go with the LAUNCH, get the Creader Elite 2.0 BENZ.
Old 07-07-2024, 04:07 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Benz w221 s550
What would disconnecting the battery overnight do? I know it cleared my code regarding my air malfunction situation that my scanner would not clear.
Old 07-07-2024, 04:19 PM

CTS-V wagon
Thanks for the input on scanners @PeterUbers and @JettaRed . I've been wanting to invest in a pro-sumer grade scanner for a while, so I may use this opportunity to do some research. Are the iCarsoft and the LAUNCH going to be MB specific or can I use them for other manufacturers? Or do you have to purchase additional "modules" to use them on other platforms?
Old 07-07-2024, 07:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Ultrakla$$ic
What would disconnecting the battery overnight do? I know it cleared my code regarding my air malfunction situation that my scanner would not clear.
it can't hurt - it's safe and free and comes with a free tcu reset
Ultrakla$$ic (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you go with iCarsoft MB II or V3.0, you are limited to Mercedes. If you go with the LAUNCH scanner, you can add other brands of cars separately. Add-ons are around $60 each, I think, and you add them through the Mall. But LAUNCH also has their BBA (Benz, BMW, Audi) version if that is what you are thinking. Virtually all of vehicle specific scanners will give you basic OBD scanning for any other brand. The nice thing about these scanners if that they will fit in your glove box or other storage on your car, so you have it with you all the time.

If you are looking for something more, I recommend investing in putting together SDS/XENTRY, which is the factory/dealer diagnostic system. XENTRY is more than a scanner, it also is an integrated diagnostic tool that can walk you through diagnosing problems. The best source for that would be to contact BenzNinja. He is a sponsor on these forums. His website is www.benzninja.com and he can recommend the best hardware and provides the software. He also provides lifetime remote support.

Last edited by JettaRed; 07-07-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 08:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
'06 E55
I have Foxwell NT 530 and can't seem to delete the CEL, is this scan tool capable of doing that or am i not doing it right?
Old 07-07-2024, 10:46 PM

CTS-V wagon
Originally Posted by JettaRed
If you go with iCarsoft MB II or V3.0, you are limited to Mercedes. If you go with the LAUNCH scanner, you can add other brands of cars separately. Add-ons are around $60 each, I think, and you add them through the Mall. But LAUNCH also has their BBA (Benz, BMW, Audi) version if that is what you are thinking. Virtually all of vehicle specific scanners will give you basic OBD scanning for any other brand. The nice thing about these scanners if that they will fit in your glove box or other storage on your car, so you have it with you all the time.

If you are looking for something more, I recommend investing in putting together SDS/XENTRY, which is the factory/dealer diagnostic system. XENTRY is more than a scanner, it also is an integrated diagnostic tool that can walk you through diagnosing problems. The best source for that would be to contact BenzNinja. He is a sponsor on these forums. His website is www.benzninja.com and he can recommend the best hardware and provides the software. He also provides lifetime remote support.

JettaRed, thanks for the very useful info/advice. After doing some more digging/research this afternoon and evening I decided to pull the trigger on the Launch! It appears to be a great balance between cost and capability for someone like myself. And I like that I can use it on other vehicles in the future as well. With the current $30 off coupon on Amazon, it seemed worth the $170 price tag. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days when it arrives! Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2024, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CarCrazyRDM
JettaRed, thanks for the very useful info/advice. After doing some more digging/research this afternoon and evening I decided to pull the trigger on the Launch! It appears to be a great balance between cost and capability for someone like myself. And I like that I can use it on other vehicles in the future as well. With the current $30 off coupon on Amazon, it seemed worth the $170 price tag. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days when it arrives! Thanks again.
You're welcome. I have one for each of my cars and keep them in the storage cubby behind my driver's seat (SL-Class) or in one of the side cubbies in the trunk (C-Class). They are very good for quick scans and have limited ability to initiate calibration or activation on some modules. I was able to use mine when for some reason my Distronic Plus stopped because my radar sensors lost calibration. Ultimately, you will want to get a copy of XENTRY for serious diagnosis and troubleshooting, but when on the road and something fails, it is a great scanner to have. I have found the best source for a legitimate copy of XENTRY is BenzNinja. (By legitimate, I mean that you run the software natively on Windows without needing to use kludgy workarounds.)