SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: R231 SL550 power close trunk failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550, 2000 M5, 2005 911 Turbo S, 2014 Ram 4x4, 2022 Model Y
R231 SL550 power close trunk failure

Hi, first time poster, have a 2013 SL550 with troubles closing the trunk. Hope this may be a known issue but having trouble finding any specific advice that addresses my situation, thanks if you can help!

No trouble opening
- Trunk opens properly and fully whether using remote, pressing the release on the trunk itself, or using the switch inside the car.

Upon closing, closes a few inches and stops
- Same deal - doesn't matter how you do it, same results whether button or remote.
- No errors shown on the dash - it just stops

Once it's stuck
- If you press the trunk button again (no matter which), you hear a brief motor sound. Then two brief motor sounds a second later. Bzzzz, pause, bzzzz bzzzz. But no movement.
- Now you have to force-close it manually, press it fully shut, it will latch.
- Now you can open it again normally using any trunk button. But when you go to close it, repeat the steps above.

What I ruled out
- Top up or down - does not matter. Exactly the same symptoms.
- Since the top is able to fully close, and no trunk divider errors are shown, I think we can rule out trunk divider problems
- Car running or not, no diff, just ruling it out academically
- I pressed the green escape button a few times as this was said to perhaps reset things, no difference
- I cycled the lock mechanism by locking with a screwdriver, and unlocking it with remote and also used the emergency key to exercise the physical mechanism, works good,

Any thoughts? Sure would like to hear some things I could try. Thanks a lot!
Aaron

Last edited by iconridge; Yesterday at 11:37 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2013 SL550, 2017 GLE350, 2018 Audi Q3
If you manually try to close the trunk, do you feel it grabbing at any point? It may think something is obstructing closure.
Old Today, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550, 2000 M5, 2005 911 Turbo S, 2014 Ram 4x4, 2022 Model Y
Originally Posted by WN1X
If you manually try to close the trunk, do you feel it grabbing at any point? It may think something is obstructing closure.
Hi there, good thought but it doesn't seem to have any sticking points from what I can tell when closing it.

Also, if there was an obstruction that blocked it from fully closing, instead of stopping I think it would reverse course back to fully open? I have not tested it with my arm to be sure
Old Today, 08:07 PM
SPONSOR

Received 813 Likes on 630 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by iconridge
Hi, first time poster, have a 2013 SL550 with troubles closing the trunk. Hope this may be a known issue but having trouble finding any specific advice that addresses my situation, thanks if you can help!

No trouble opening
- Trunk opens properly and fully whether using remote, pressing the release on the trunk itself, or using the switch inside the car.

- Same deal - doesn't matter how you do it, same results whether button or remote.

Once it's stuck
- If you press the trunk button again (no matter which), you hear a brief motor sound. Then two brief motor sounds a second later. Bzzzz, pause, bzzzz bzzzz. But no movement.
- Now you can open it again normally using any trunk button. But when you go to close it, repeat the steps above.

What I ruled out
- Since the top is able to fully close, and no trunk divider errors are shown, I think we can rule out trunk divider problems
- I pressed the green escape button a few times as this was said to perhaps reset things, no difference
- I cycled the lock mechanism by locking with a screwdriver, and unlocking it with remote and also used the emergency key to exercise the physical mechanism, works good,

Aaron
Can be
If the limit point is recognized via the signals from the trunk lid position sensor (rotation angle), the Vario roof control unit stops the actuation of the trunk lid solenoid valve and the vario roof actuation hydraulic unit electric motor.
If the Vario roof control unit does not receive signals from the trunk lid position sensor, the actuation is stopped as well.
or
Calibration lost
or
you must do a proper diagnostic scan
Xentry allows you to see all values and faults
There is a large preconditions list in test. That will tell you

Old Today, 09:22 PM

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
2019 SL450; 2023 M850i
Originally Posted by iconridge

No trouble opening

Once it's stuck

What I ruled out

Aaron
Here's a link with similar symptoms "Upon closing, closes a few inches and stops."
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...n-t-close.html
Good luck!