GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

To Spoil the Roof or Not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes E63 AMG
To Spoil the Roof or Not

Finalized vehicle decision: Emerald Green over Exclusive Black Nappa GLE 580. Still working on Night Package Y/N, and on wheels. Leaning RWA 21" and no Night:

Stuck on whether to include in my build the Roof Spoiler (D11), or not. Trying to decide to what extent the choice of Night Package or no impacts this decision: Night introduces a sportier look, no-Night is a more elegant look, IMO.

Genuinely don't know and open to inputs. Thanks in advance for yours, including any photos you may care to share that amplify your thoughts.

Last edited by Hammer212; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
The roof spoiler, in my understanding, will be drilled into the standard one if installed from the factory. It has no functional meaning, just a decorative one. Having that said, you can install it later if you choose to. Post production installs are glued (sticky pads) and not drilled into.

For the wheels, my personal preference for 21s would be black + AMG five spoke wheels.

Last edited by stktyz33; Yesterday at 04:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Beauty in the eye of the beholder IMO. To my eye the roof spoiler finishes it off and the night package tones down the chrome. Also a fan of the AMG five spokes.
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2024 GLE 350
I like the sliver instead of the night.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by stktyz33
The roof spoiler, in my understanding, will be drilled into the standard one if installed from the factory. It has no functional meaning, just a decorative one. Having that said, you can install it later if you choose to. Post production installs are glued (sticky pads) and not drilled into.

For the wheels, my personal preference for 21s would be black + AMG five spoke wheels.
Guled spoilers are full and games until you're driving and they fly off. ( Ask me how I know)
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by stktyz33

Originally Posted by Benzman33
Guled spoilers are full and games until you're driving and they fly off. ( Ask me how I know)
I was surprised to see in the DOG that the Roof Spoiler is a Vehicle Preparation Facility - installed option, versus a factory-installed one. I do like knowing that it could be added after delivery, the glue issue notwithstanding. @Benzman33 I'm asking how you know that's a problem.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by jkaetz
Beauty in the eye of the beholder IMO. To my eye the roof spoiler finishes it off and the night package tones down the chrome.
I too am inclined to view it as a finisher... definitely on a Night Package GLE. Seems to increase its sportiness. Wasn't as convinced on a non-Night car, where no spoiler might add to a svelter, more elegant look.

To your point, it's all in the eye of the beholder. No right or wrong answer. It is genuinely interesting and useful to me to get the perspectives of members. Thanks for yours!

p.s. The GLS has a more upright D Pillar as compared to the GLE. To my eye, the roof spoiler on the GLS adds to its boxiness; not an especially good look, IMHO. The GLE's D-Pillar is less upright, and the spoiler does seem to fill that angle nicely.
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM

2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by Hammer212
I was surprised to see in the DOG that the Roof Spoiler is a Vehicle Preparation Facility - installed option, versus a factory-installed one. I do like knowing that it could be added after delivery, the glue issue notwithstanding. @Benzman33 I'm asking how you know that's a problem.
I've had after market spoilers fly off on the parkway before that where "glued" on with 3m tape.
It's better to have it come from the factory already installed, paint will match 100% and it's a fairly cheap option
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 450e
I'd suggest considering the night package if you're leaning towards a brighter body color, but the choice is entirely yours. Both options will look fantastic regardless of whether you choose the night package or not. Personally, I wouldn't go with the spoiler on the GLE.

Last edited by 450e; Yesterday at 08:08 PM.
Old Today, 08:42 AM

Received 199 Likes on 126 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Night package on all the dark colors is a "for sure" in my opinion. It finishes it off quite nicely. I would also add the spoiler. It makes the rear look even more beefier.

Old Today, 11:16 AM

Mercedes E63 AMG
@djgiovanni Thanks for your input. Yours is the killer sporty build I like the most, that includes what I'm pretty certain are the RXV - 22" AMG Cross-Spoke Forged Wheels in Matte Black. Sadly, I'm unable to build a 580 with those wheels; they're available only on the 53 and 63. Currently, I'm lukewarm on the available wheel options in order to get the Night Package on a 580.
Old Today, 11:36 AM

@djgiovanni Thanks for your input. Yours is the killer sporty build I like the most, that includes what I'm pretty certain are the RXV - 22" AMG Cross-Spoke Forged Wheels in Matte Black. Sadly, I'm unable to build a 580 with those wheels; they're available only on the 53 and 63. Currently, I'm lukewarm on the available wheel options in order to get the Night Package on a 580.
Thank you. I do like my spec.

In your case, I would go with these... A bit expensive but trust me when I say that black wheels suite Emerald Green the best.

Last edited by djgiovanni; Today at 11:38 AM.
Old Today, 12:20 PM

Mercedes E63 AMG
@djgiovanni Is yours the optional Roof Spoiler, or is this the standard issue?

Old Today, 01:17 PM

@djgiovanni Is yours the optional Roof Spoiler, or is this the standard issue?

No spoiler on mine which is a bummer. It is much more expensive when you don't pre-order it.
The following users liked this post:
Hammer212 (Today)