SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Help with sl500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500
Help with sl500

I am having a problem getting my Sl500 started. Its currently stuck in park and when i turn the key, all the electronics turn on but it won’t crank. My mechanic has identified a problem with the shifter but he is also saying there might be a problem with the ignition since the key gets stuck sometimes and wont come out. A new shifter from mercedes benz plus labor and diagnostics, programming is going to cost about $3000….and if that doesn’t fix it another $1800 for a new ignition. I can’t justify paying this much. Does anyone know if i can just order a used shifter, ecu, ignition switch and key which all came from the same car off ebay and fix the problem ? Or would i have to get all new parts due to them having to be programmed. Thanks in advance
Old 07-12-2024, 10:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts
2005 SL 500 R230
You have (almost certainly) a broken lockout pawl in the shifter unit.
To test this, turn on the ignition, press your ear to the shifter then press the brake. You should hear the solenoid in the shifter click.
If it does then it's not the brake switch. If it doesn't, then start checking the brake switch.
If it clicks then the short term fix is to remove the shifter and remove the pawl, or replace it with the aluminium milled type from eBay.

No crank issue sounds like the EIS, OR cold solder joints in the shifter optical pickups, both of which can be repaired rather than replaced.

To test the cranking circuit jump the pins on the starter relay and see if she cranks.

Key not coming out is also a shifter issue; when in park the shifter releases the lock on the key so it's a mechanical issue.

I realise you may not be a home mechanic but the info above might be useful for you anyway; you need specific knowledge to work on an R230.

Last edited by Tom Manning; 07-12-2024 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Clarity
The following 3 users liked this post by Tom Manning:
bng1959 (07-13-2024), drstevenenglisg (07-13-2024), tonylinc (07-13-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 10:57 PM

sl500
Yes its very helpful. Thank you for replying! My mechanic already checked the brake light switch and ruled that out . He said he found a problem in the shifter but he said even after replacing it, it could also need a new ignition. But it seems like the problem with the ignition could be happening because of the shifter and after thats fixed, it should fix it? I don’t think i can order a random shifter on ebay because it needs to be programmed, right?
Old 07-13-2024, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500 R230 2003
Dear Sir,
You need to diagnose via scanned codes, due to the complexity of these cars. I have a fault with my selector, where it frequently shows the red warning when I open the door get the car has sat for a week. This shows up when I scan the car and was planning to remove and send to a local repair shop. Read the info the shop gives for this part. You may have the same issue and sure you are right, a new part will need to be coded to your car. If you get yours repaired, it won’t

https://australianecurepair.com.au/p...hifter-repair/

Search the title below on MBworld, which is on the same subject.

Shift selector lever to P??????????

good luck and let us all know how you get on.

joe
The following users liked this post:
drstevenenglisg (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 07:51 AM

sl500
Originally Posted by JWD1
Dear Sir,
You need to diagnose via scanned codes, due to the complexity of these cars. I have a fault with my selector, where it frequently shows the red warning when I open the door get the car has sat for a week. This shows up when I scan the car and was planning to remove and send to a local repair shop. Read the info the shop gives for this part. You may have the same issue and sure you are right, a new part will need to be coded to your car. If you get yours repaired, it won’t

https://australianecurepair.com.au/p...hifter-repair/

Search the title below on MBworld, which is on the same subject.

Shift selector lever to P??????????

good luck and let us all know how you get on.

joe
That would save me thousands of dollars..literally. Do you happen to know if they also offer such a service for the EIS or for the ignition switch in case that also needs to be repaired? Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!
Old 07-13-2024, 11:09 AM

sl500
I found a video online showing how to disassemble the shifter and replace the plastic metal piece. Does anyone know if its really just this simple or would additional programming etc need to be done. This would save me $1300 if so . Thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2024, 03:41 PM

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
I believe the shifter pawl is a plastic piece that breaks and the replacement is a metal piece that costs under $25 to buy. I bought one for the "future" when mine goes through this. It's in my toolbox. I have a local indy shop with engineers who will be happy to do that work for me, I'm lucky. I'm sure the shifter would not need any re-programming when this part is replaced. I am thinking that once you replace your shifter pawl, you may not have a further problem and the car might be just fine.
The following users liked this post:
drstevenenglisg (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 04:27 PM

sl500
Originally Posted by tonylinc
I believe the shifter pawl is a plastic piece that breaks and the replacement is a metal piece that costs under $25 to buy. I bought one for the "future" when mine goes through this. It's in my toolbox. I have a local indy shop with engineers who will be happy to do that work for me, I'm lucky. I'm sure the shifter would not need any re-programming when this part is replaced. I am thinking that once you replace your shifter pawl, you may not have a further problem and the car might be just fine.
im hoping so, im just a little afraid that the shifter wouldn’t be keeping the car from starting. I saw a video online where a guy had his shifter completely out of the car in his 03 and it was still running but I think he started it first and then removed it while it was still running. Thanks for your help again !
Old 07-13-2024, 06:04 PM

When it gets stuck in Park, there's a switch that tells the car it is either in Park or Neutral so that it will not start in a gear. With this shifter problem, it is concievable that it is the only issue. I would get the shifter pawl replaced first and see if the car still has any problem.

It's a 220 part number but it is for the R230

Shifter pawl made of aluminum
Old 07-13-2024, 06:06 PM

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...r-linkage.html
Old 07-13-2024, 06:27 PM

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by drstevenenglisg
im hoping so, im just a little afraid that the shifter wouldn’t be keeping the car from starting. I saw a video online where a guy had his shifter completely out of the car in his 03 and it was still running but I think he started it first and then removed it while it was still running. Thanks for your help again !
Just tackle one issue at a time. Don't over think the problems for now.

Is your mechanic using a good Mercedes specific code scanner. If he is he should be able to diagnose issues directly.

However all your issues could be explained by a bad shifter pawl, so start there.

Also do not spend significant money until you have a good diagnosis, and Mercedes service will always be the very expensive option.
The following 2 users liked this post by g0rsq:
drstevenenglisg (07-13-2024), Tom Manning (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 07:01 PM

sl500
Thanks for all your help . I will keep you guys updated and let you know if it fixes it
Old 07-13-2024, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500 R230 2003
Yes they do, but ensure you get codes first before doing any ‘shotgun’ troubleshooting. It is expensive and disappointing to get this wrong and then the car becomes a noose and not fun. I assume your car doesn’t have the option of starting via a button at the top of the gearshift per ? This is part of the Keyless Go start and entry system. My car has this and I have the option to start via the shift button or the key.

https://australianecurepair.com.au/p...switch-repair/

Good luck.
Joe
Australia
Old 07-13-2024, 08:50 PM

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts
2005 SL 500 R230
First - always - check every fuse in all three fuse boxes (not your issue, but good practice).
Second - scan the car top to toe, delete all old stored codes and see what comes back.
Now if you have shifter issues, remove the pawl (dangerous but effective) but better, replace with alu type.

While it is out, resolder all the optical pickups in the board, regardless of how they look - this is a known trouble spot, and should solve your issue.
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/ca...#post-18398443

Scan again for codes.
Old Today, 09:26 AM

sl500
Originally Posted by Tom Manning
First - always - check every fuse in all three fuse boxes (not your issue, but good practice).
Second - scan the car top to toe, delete all old stored codes and see what comes back.
Now if you have shifter issues, remove the pawl (dangerous but effective) but better, replace with alu type.

While it is out, resolder all the optical pickups in the board, regardless of how they look - this is a known trouble spot, and should solve your issue.
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/ca...#post-18398443

Scan again for codes.
now the mechanic is telling me that the computer is reading in drive while its in park. If this is the case then does it mean its not the metal piece but instead its the electronics on the shifter?
Old Today, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
95 SL600
Shifter in drive or transmission in drive?
Old Today, 11:22 AM

sl500
Originally Posted by cdk4219
Shifter in drive or transmission in drive?
my understanding is that the shifter is stuck in park but showing its in drive now…which sounds like two separate issues to me
Old Today, 02:33 PM

sl500
I wanted to post the codes

The top doesn’t work on this car and also the suspension has been replaced by the coil over so there are a looot of codes.

relating to the EIS

b1016 no enable from the control module “electronic gear selector module “esm ewm”

b1010 undervoltage supply

there are also a bunch codes relating to the lower control panel, passenger side sam and driver side sam and also the rear sam. I don’t know how relevant those codes are . A bunch of cam bus not communicating codes

all of this could be related to a broken shifter?

fa