S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

POP QUIZ! Command connector?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 - W221 2008
POP QUIZ! Command connector?

Restoring a 2008 S550 and pulled the command unit dvd/CD player and found this mess! On the left are the 3 plugs to the command unit (power connections black connector) , screen connector (blue) and antenna (silver maybe). So my question is, what are the two connectors on the right and the black trapezoid shape piece? It looks factory with the harness but I have no clue what its for? Found nothing online so here I am confident someone has been down this road before. I appreciate any help I can get.

Last edited by Scottness; Yesterday at 08:33 PM.
Old Today, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 856 Likes on 716 Posts
S500
looks like you have the option ipod kit lead in there - or its the mess they used to add the phono connectors in the glovebox on a mini facelift

for the ipod bit to function you plug the cars OEM wires into the ipod lead - but then must move the fibre connectors back to the rear of the comand - then plug the 8' x 4' x 1.3' ipod box of hell in the other end.... (I think your ipod lead is really out of circuit - you could just plug the left one in the comand and it should mostly work - but rear camera I suspect needs moving back too - clear shielded lead)

the best thing is to saw out the pointless bit of plastic under the comand unit and discard - then the massive space that is impossible to use beneath can be free to use - and any aftermarket kit or the ridiculous monster ipod box with its network connector at the wrong end can be placed in a manner that doesn't try to snap everything in half and stop the comand ever being refitted again

looks very tidy to me - have you ever looked at the back of old cars ?

your research must have been less than an apathetic half-hearted effort

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...questions.html

Last edited by BOTUS; Today at 04:27 AM.
Old Today, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 - W221 2008
Originally Posted by BOTUS
looks like you have the option ipod kit lead in there - or its the mess they used to add the phono connectors in the glovebox on a mini facelift

for the ipod bit to function you plug the cars OEM wires into the ipod lead - but then must move the fibre connectors back to the rear of the comand - then plug the 8' x 4' x 1.3' ipod box of hell in the other end.... (I think your ipod lead is really out of circuit - you could just plug the left one in the comand and it should mostly work - but rear camera I suspect needs moving back too - clear shielded lead)

the best thing is to saw out the pointless bit of plastic under the comand unit and discard - then the massive space that is impossible to use beneath can be free to use - and any aftermarket kit or the ridiculous monster ipod box with its network connector at the wrong end can be placed in a manner that doesn't try to snap everything in half and stop the comand ever being refitted again

looks very tidy to me - have you ever looked at the back of old cars ?

your research must have been less than an apathetic half-hearted effort

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...questions.html

BOTUS,
Thanks for the assist. I had previously read the thread you referenced but in the absence of a part number on the "trapezoid" shaped piece and the clear confirmation (rectangular shape) in the other thread with photos and MB part numbers I thought it best to get clarification before I made an assumption and really messed something up.
And thank you for the wiring confirmation and cut-a-way advice; that will certainly make reinstallation easier.

And, yes I have looked in the back of old cars. None however have the amount of equipment this S550 has. Save the dry rotted air lines for the seats, I have everything else sorted in the trunk with the exception of the back up camera which may or may not function. But thanks to you and this forum I'm one step closer to figuring that out as well.

Best regards
Scott
Old Today, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 856 Likes on 716 Posts
S500
I rechecked the whole ipod post.... its NOT either ipod 1 or ipod 2 kit's lead - I now suspect its an OEM merc idea for aux in via the glovebox - with the same idea to connect stuff up - UK cars didn't get anything until 2008 and then only phono till the NTG3.5 got the funny propitiatory rectangular socket

here's the std set up on early cars with nothing... pins outs further down the page

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post6805405

The following users liked this post:
Scottness (Today)