SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: AFTERMARKET RADIO QUESTION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
SL 500 2004, Ford F-150-2014
AFTERMARKET RADIO QUESTION

Gentlemen, I know many of you have already replaced the old Command unit with aftermarket touch screen radios. I am planning in doing the same and I am faced with few dilemmas and questions which I appreciate if you share your experience and knowledge on the subject. After reading some old threads I could see the complications some of you had trying to install the newer radio.
My vehicle was built in March 2004 and has a Command 2 model and a Bosh fiber optic amplifier using a D2B system.
I can see that D2B fiber optic decoders cost as much as a regular analog amplifier which may cause less hassle to install since to maintain the OEM amplifier also would need fiber optic loops and who knows what else..!
I also wonder if these radios will have enough power for volume of the speakers without amplifier.
I would like to install a 9" Double din unit which would need to get rid of the cup holders and cut the trim even with the portion below the cupholders. I can possibly 3D print the surrounding trim, but would be easier to find the trim around the unit already made...any vendor suggestion??
The look below is what I would like to install...!

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
'01 CLK 430 cab, '04 SL500
I think you might enjoy this video here. Also check out the link he has in the description to a Benzworld post.