C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine running poorly - m271

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK w209
Lightbulb Engine running poorly - m271

Hello everyone,

I've been dealing with an ongoing issue with my 200 Kompressor M271 (163hp) for the past seven years, and despite spending what feels like thousands of dollars, I still haven't pinpointed the problem. The car has a rough idle and frequently shuts off one cylinder. It drives fine, but as soon as I put it in neutral (it's a manual), one of the cylinders stops working, and the engine runs poorly on just three cylinders. Turning the car off and back on seems to temporarily fix the issue.I've replaced the spark plugs at least five times, installed new coils multiple times, swapped out the MAP sensor, MAF sensor, and cleaned the throttle body. A mechanic checked the live stats and confirmed the throttle body is working normally. I've also replaced both O2 sensors, which was quite expensive, but the problem persists.

I've consulted at least 7-8 different mechanics, but none have found the root cause, often suggesting numerous potential reasons.I'm starting to suspect it might be the crankshaft or camshaft, though I haven't replaced them yet. The car starts without hesitation, so I'm unsure. If anyone has any recommendations or advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you!
Old Today, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 198 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
This sucks, but time to pop by the dealer and pay for a diagnostic. They can see codes that most indies can't see.

If there is a CEL, what are the code(s)?

Are you installing quality parts? A lot of poor quality parts out there that cause problems right out of the box.