Whining noise during steering while stopped or at slow speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 S500
Whining noise during steering while stopped or at slow speeds

Anyone else hear a subtle whining noise while turning the steering while while stopped or at very slow speeds? I admit I have rabbit ears but I can hear a whine when I turn the steering wheel. I usually have the radio on and vents on high but I happened to have everything off and I can hear it. I don’t believe it happens all of the time, just mainly when it’s hot. It sounds like a power steering pump but I thought our steering was electromechanical. Maybe it is motor whine?

Anyone else hear it? Is this normal? It drives and steers fine.

Last edited by Frenetic; 07-16-2024 at 07:48 PM.
Old Today, 07:10 AM

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Anyone else hear a subtle whining noise while turning the steering while while stopped or at very slow speeds? I admit I have rabbit ears but I can hear a whine when I turn the steering wheel. I usually have the radio on and vents on high but I happened to have everything off and I can hear it. I don’t believe it happens all of the time, just mainly when it’s hot. It sounds like a power steering pump but I thought our steering was electromechanical. Maybe it is motor whine?

Anyone else hear it? Is this normal? It drives and steers fine.
Yes, I had it. Brought it in twice and on both occasions tech responded with 'unable to reproduce costumer's complaints'. That was in the cool of Spring time. Now, we're in deep our Southern subtropical heat, the noise has resolved itself at least for now.
The following users liked this post:
Frenetic (Today)
Old Today, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 S500
Thanks. Glad to know I wasn’t just hearing things. I think it’s the power steering motor that is whining.