Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M112 chain rattle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W209 CLK 240
M112 chain rattle?

Hi all. Normally I'm over in the CLK section but I wanted to throw this a little wider.

I have a 2003 W209 CLK 240 with the 2.6 M112. I've owned it since May last year, two owner car and I picked it up with 79k miles and I've since put 6k miles on it. It's had 3 oil changes since I bought it (one on purchase, one after 6 months, one after 12 months) and each time I've used the correct MB oil and filter. Previous owner had it since 2006 and service history is a little patchy but he hardly did any miles. The last couple of years it barely moved.

Now, the issue. It's noisy. It wasn't when I first got it but it is now and I'm sure it's chain rattle. I can remove the drive belt to eliminate noises from the front and the rattle remains. Using a long screwdriver to my ear the noise seems internal. My question is should I get the chain looked at/replaced? I've read over and over that the M112/3 is bombproof but that it's not uncommon for this rattle to occur and the engine to perform exactly as it should for many thousands of miles. I've also read that if things got more serious and the chain were to be stretched I'd get plenty of warnings via dash lights and codes.

Am I worrying about nothing?
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,401 Likes on 2,268 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Originally Posted by rich1068
Hi all. Normally I'm over in the CLK section but I wanted to throw this a little wider.

I have a 2003 W209 CLK 240 with the 2.6 M112. I've owned it since May last year, two owner car and I picked it up with 79k miles and I've since put 6k miles on it. It's had 3 oil changes since I bought it (one on purchase, one after 6 months, one after 12 months) and each time I've used the correct MB oil and filter. Previous owner had it since 2006 and service history is a little patchy but he hardly did any miles. The last couple of years it barely moved.

Now, the issue. It's noisy. It wasn't when I first got it but it is now and I'm sure it's chain rattle. I can remove the drive belt to eliminate noises from the front and the rattle remains. Using a long screwdriver to my ear the noise seems internal. My question is should I get the chain looked at/replaced? I've read over and over that the M112/3 is bombproof but that it's not uncommon for this rattle to occur and the engine to perform exactly as it should for many thousands of miles. I've also read that if things got more serious and the chain were to be stretched I'd get plenty of warnings via dash lights and codes.

Am I worrying about nothing?
I don't know about "chain rattling"... have a look here.
Old Today, 04:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W209 CLK 240
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
I don't know about "chain rattling"... have a look here.
Thanks for your reply but the noise mine makes is not like that. Mine is a rhythmic rattle at idle which goes away as the revs rise. It also does it regardless of the engine being hot or cold. Less pronounced when it's cold as obviously the idle is a little higher.

Any more thoughts?