GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2024 GLE 350 Purchase - 22" to 20" Wheel Swap Feasibility

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE
2024 GLE 350 Purchase - 22" to 20" Wheel Swap Feasibility

Hi everyone - long time reader of the forum; first time poster. On the verge of purchasing 2024 GLE from a 3rd party (non-MB) OEM dealer with approximately 10,000 miles. Comes spec'd with:
  • Exclusive Trim
  • Pinnacle Trim
  • AMG Exterior
  • Driver Assistance Package
  • Running boards
  • 22 inch AMG twin spoke bi-colour wheels
  • Black fabric roof liner

I'd love the forum's guidance on a few questions that are top of mind:
  • The 22 inch wheels scare me. Tires run $3000+ for a set and can't be rotated (as-is well documented on this forum) given the stagger. How involved is the process of switching from 22 inch wheels to the standard 20 inch AMG 5 spoke wheels? Are specific changes needed to the vehicle because of the stagger in the event I switch to 20 inch. How much would the MB dealer charge for that? In case not already apparent, I'm a little bit out of my depth here.
  • Dealer has interior listed has Bahia Brown/Black Artico, but my understanding is that it's not possible to spec Pinnacle Trim without leather seats (at least in Canada). Is that correct? Would indicate the dealer has mistaken what are actually leather seats for artico. Is there an easy way to tell the difference based on stitching?
  • Is there a way to verify each of the above options is included on the vehicle?
  • Bumper has one scratch on top of the tailgate that's quite deep. Has anyone purchased a tailgate guard aftermarket? I believe MB offers one in the US but not in Canada as a factory option.

I understand the market for GLE's is currently soft. Have exchanged some texts with dealer on price; likely to land around 56K USD. Strikes me as a fair price relative to original sticker of $75K+ USD, but eager to understand if the group thinks I can do better.

Thanks everyone for your time and guidance on this. Really appreciate it.

Last edited by GLEprospector; 08-12-2024 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Thanking the forum members for their time.
Old 08-12-2024, 11:20 PM

Received 153 Likes on 108 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
1) The tires are a little pricey, if you keep an eye out a set of four you could ****** up at a little over 2,000. Its not a new set that often really unless you are driving aggressive and/or heavy on the miles.
2) Rotation wont be a rear to front X pattern. It would just be left to right.
3) Switching to 20s non-staggered is seamless, personally I run 22s with summer tires as a three season set-up and square 20s set with dedicated winter tires. No issues or any special adaptations necessary if you switch.
4) I have no experience switching at a dealer, I would recommend listing them for sale (you could probably trade someone for a set of 20s + cash from them). I purchased a set of lightly used 20s for about $1300, and then shopped around for a winter tire deal. Not sure if you are in a providence of Canada that requires winter tires during the season, you may want to consider keeping the 22s and having a dedicated 20s setup. If its a non-mb dealer thats willing to do it, rest assured you'll get hosed on it plus I wouldn't trust that they are sourcing a good set of Mercedes 20s for you.
5) Pinnacle forces the leather package purchase so it should be leather and not the synthetic, lastvin.com gives breakdowns but the car may be too new.
6) To verify options, I would recommend spending the $10 usd and purchase a digital window sticker from https://monroneylabels.com/
7) Trunk sill cover is available, I'll see if i can find the part number

Edit part number located:
1676931400 Load sill protector
If you want a low cost option AliExpress has some available, search w167 trunk sill protector

Also, if you do decide to find your own set of 20's, note that previous generation GLE/ML wheels are not a direct fit. You will need to confirm the part number begins with the numbers 167 (or years 2019+)

Last edited by vincheung; 08-12-2024 at 11:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vincheung:
GLEprospector (08-13-2024), HotRodW (08-13-2024), wildta (08-14-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 07:20 AM

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts
2021 GLE450
Running 20's definitely has its advantages. Unfortunately, MB makes it more challenging to switch wheels than it should be by using different offsets front and rear. If you run a standard square setup, expect the fronts to poke too much, the rears to tuck too much, or a combination of both. If you want a flush, OE like fitment, you have two options. 1.) Find a wheel design that has specific offsets for both the front and the rear, or 1.) Buy a fitment to make the front wheels flush, and run spacers on the rear. Depending on the wheel design, Option 1 might allow you to run the same bolts on all four corners, but you would only be able to rotate side-to-side unless you're willing to dismount the tires from the wheels. Option 2 will allow you to rotate in a standard pattern, but the spacers on the rear will require longer bolts than what you'll use on the front.

I chose Option 1 for my winter setup. Wheel options were limited, and I don't rotate because nothing good can come from regularly dismounting and mounting tires, but the fitment essentially matches the OE setup.
The following users liked this post:
GLEprospector (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 10:20 AM

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
The GLE with factory 22" tires is supposed to come with the air suspension. I wonder if any programming or modification to the suspension would be required with a swap to different wheels?
Old 08-13-2024, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE
Originally Posted by vincheung
1) The tires are a little pricey, if you keep an eye out a set of four you could ****** up at a little over 2,000. Its not a new set that often really unless you are driving aggressive and/or heavy on the miles.
2) Rotation wont be a rear to front X pattern. It would just be left to right.
3) Switching to 20s non-staggered is seamless, personally I run 22s with summer tires as a three season set-up and square 20s set with dedicated winter tires. No issues or any special adaptations necessary if you switch.
4) I have no experience switching at a dealer, I would recommend listing them for sale (you could probably trade someone for a set of 20s + cash from them). I purchased a set of lightly used 20s for about $1300, and then shopped around for a winter tire deal. Not sure if you are in a providence of Canada that requires winter tires during the season, you may want to consider keeping the 22s and having a dedicated 20s setup. If its a non-mb dealer thats willing to do it, rest assured you'll get hosed on it plus I wouldn't trust that they are sourcing a good set of Mercedes 20s for you.
5) Pinnacle forces the leather package purchase so it should be leather and not the synthetic, lastvin.com gives breakdowns but the car may be too new.
6) To verify options, I would recommend spending the $10 usd and purchase a digital window sticker from https://monroneylabels.com/
7) Trunk sill cover is available, I'll see if i can find the part number

Edit part number located:
1676931400 Load sill protector
If you want a low cost option AliExpress has some available, search w167 trunk sill protector

Also, if you do decide to find your own set of 20's, note that previous generation GLE/ML wheels are not a direct fit. You will need to confirm the part number begins with the numbers 167 (or years 2019+)
Thanks for such an in-depth response @vincheung !

After considering your response, I may opt for the same approach of running 22 inch wheels in the summer and a pair of second-hand GLE AMG 5 spoke 20 inch wheels in the winter. You mentioned you don't use any adapters and the wheels are a straight swap. Do the square 20's sit flush with body/exterior in the same manner that a GLE purchased with stock 20 inch wheels would? Does the car require any recalibration to account for differences between speed/rotation of 20 vs 22 inch wheels? Separately I read elsewhere that it would, alongside potentially needing spacers to adjust fitment of the wheels.

I wasn't aware of monroneylabels.com, but will be purchasing this evening (thanks for this). Finally, thank you for identifying the part number of the load sill protector.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Running 20's definitely has its advantages. Unfortunately, MB makes it more challenging to switch wheels than it should be by using different offsets front and rear. If you run a standard square setup, expect the fronts to poke too much, the rears to tuck too much, or a combination of both. If you want a flush, OE like fitment, you have two options. 1.) Find a wheel design that has specific offsets for both the front and the rear, or 1.) Buy a fitment to make the front wheels flush, and run spacers on the rear. Depending on the wheel design, Option 1 might allow you to run the same bolts on all four corners, but you would only be able to rotate side-to-side unless you're willing to dismount the tires from the wheels. Option 2 will allow you to rotate in a standard pattern, but the spacers on the rear will require longer bolts than what you'll use on the front.

I chose Option 1 for my winter setup. Wheel options were limited, and I don't rotate because nothing good can come from regularly dismounting and mounting tires, but the fitment essentially matches the OE setup.
If I'm understanding correctly, this could be addressed by purchasing a set of OEM GLE 20 inch wheels? For some reason I thought they were square, but perhaps they are offset and I just wasn't aware. Thank you for taking time to write a response.

Originally Posted by BlueYonder
The GLE with factory 22" tires is supposed to come with the air suspension. I wonder if any programming or modification to the suspension would be required with a swap to different wheels?
I hope that's not the case, but I had also read speedometer may be require reprogramming for 20 vs 22 inch wheel swap. Can any other members of the forum confirm re: airmatic suspension?
Old 08-13-2024, 11:30 PM

Received 153 Likes on 108 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
@GLEprospector
The 20’s I had purchased were take offs from a GLE350, front and rear part numbers are different so make sure to identify and install accordingly.

In comparison to the 22’s, with 20’s it is noticeable but I find them plenty attractive and they suit the car nicely. The 22s are wide (325 rear) compared to the 20’s (275 front and rear) and will sit at or close to the fender lines for an aggressive look.

Installing 20s would be exactly the same as any other random GLE equipped with them, nothing else changes. The 20’s appear slightly sunken into the wheel well, which could be changed with spacers and new bolts but I actually prefer them as is because any ice, objects, salt, etc associated with winter that is flung around is mostly contained in the wheel wells and less blasted along the fenders and bumper. To answer the question if you need the spacers and bolts? No, the stock bolts will work perfectly fine when going from factory 22s to factory 20s.

Recalibration is not necessary, just make sure your set includes TPMS so you don’t have to deal with tire pressure lights for the season. Wheel speed sensors handle the math, even if there was some difference I’ve never noticed it. I run a hardwired gps enabled radar detector with speed displayed and it’s matched the speedometer whenever I glance at it whether it’s 22 or 20. I have airmatic equipped and there is no need to calibrate or anything. Simply remove wheels and bolt on wheels, nothing else.

Touching on tire pricing on 22s from your original post, I was shopping today and on tire rack the original equipment continental contisport set is $1600 usd, so pricing really isn’t that obscene.

Last edited by vincheung; 08-13-2024 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2024, 06:54 AM

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts
2021 GLE450
Unless I'm mistaken, the OE 20" setup does have staggered offsets, which is why there's a different part number for front and rear.
GLEprospector (08-14-2024)

Trending Topics

Old 08-14-2024, 08:15 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
V167
20" Offset

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Unless I'm mistaken, the OE 20" setup does have staggered offsets, which is why there's a different part number for front and rear.
Our 21 GLE450 had 20" AMG wheels and the offset was different. Only 10mm if I recall but they were different.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sparky66:
GLEprospector (08-14-2024), HotRodW (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 520 Posts
MB
I also had success buying 20" AMG takeoffs from a 167. They had brand new Cooper tires that I didn't need and so the seller removed them and sold only the rims for $1100. Just a quick glance and there are probably a half dozen new 20" take offs near me and they all have new or nearly new OE tires for around $1800-2200.
GLEprospector (08-14-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 11:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 GLE 350
Originally Posted by GLEprospector
Hi everyone - long time reader of the forum; first time poster. On the verge of purchasing 2024 GLE from a 3rd party (non-MB) OEM dealer with approximately 10,000 miles. Comes spec'd with:
  • Exclusive Trim
  • Pinnacle Trim
  • AMG Exterior
  • Driver Assistance Package
  • Running boards
  • 22 inch AMG twin spoke bi-colour wheels
  • Black fabric roof liner

I'd love the forum's guidance on a few questions that are top of mind:
  • The 22 inch wheels scare me. Tires run $3000+ for a set and can't be rotated (as-is well documented on this forum) given the stagger. How involved is the process of switching from 22 inch wheels to the standard 20 inch AMG 5 spoke wheels? Are specific changes needed to the vehicle because of the stagger in the event I switch to 20 inch. How much would the MB dealer charge for that? In case not already apparent, I'm a little bit out of my depth here.
  • Dealer has interior listed has Bahia Brown/Black Artico, but my understanding is that it's not possible to spec Pinnacle Trim without leather seats (at least in Canada). Is that correct? Would indicate the dealer has mistaken what are actually leather seats for artico. Is there an easy way to tell the difference based on stitching?
  • Is there a way to verify each of the above options is included on the vehicle?
  • Bumper has one scratch on top of the tailgate that's quite deep. Has anyone purchased a tailgate guard aftermarket? I believe MB offers one in the US but not in Canada as a factory option.

I understand the market for GLE's is currently soft. Have exchanged some texts with dealer on price; likely to land around 56K USD. Strikes me as a fair price relative to original sticker of $75K+ USD, but eager to understand if the group thinks I can do better.

Thanks everyone for your time and guidance on this. Really appreciate it.
. I have 21” tires on my 2022 GLE , and quickly found out that Costco was the best place to go for Michelin and other quality tires. You can get pricing on line which includes nitrogen filled installation. A great price over the competition.
Old 08-19-2024, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,618 Likes on 1,191 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Pappa
. I have 21” tires on my 2022 GLE , and quickly found out that Costco was the best place to go for Michelin and other quality tires. You can get pricing on line which includes nitrogen filled installation. A great price over the competition.
It's worth comparing the Dealer pricing. Sometimes they are the cheapest, and a 2yr, non-prorated road hazard warranty, free labor.
They also honor manufacturer's (This Month Only...) specials.
Old Today, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2023 E-450 Cabriolet, 2022 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by vincheung
@GLEprospector
The 20’s I had purchased were take offs from a GLE350, front and rear part numbers are different so make sure to identify and install accordingly.

In comparison to the 22’s, with 20’s it is noticeable but I find them plenty attractive and they suit the car nicely. The 22s are wide (325 rear) compared to the 20’s (275 front and rear) and will sit at or close to the fender lines for an aggressive look.

Installing 20s would be exactly the same as any other random GLE equipped with them, nothing else changes. The 20’s appear slightly sunken into the wheel well, which could be changed with spacers and new bolts but I actually prefer them as is because any ice, objects, salt, etc associated with winter that is flung around is mostly contained in the wheel wells and less blasted along the fenders and bumper. To answer the question if you need the spacers and bolts? No, the stock bolts will work perfectly fine when going from factory 22s to factory 20s.

Recalibration is not necessary, just make sure your set includes TPMS so you don’t have to deal with tire pressure lights for the season. Wheel speed sensors handle the math, even if there was some difference I’ve never noticed it. I run a hardwired gps enabled radar detector with speed displayed and it’s matched the speedometer whenever I glance at it whether it’s 22 or 20. I have airmatic equipped and there is no need to calibrate or anything. Simply remove wheels and bolt on wheels, nothing else.

Touching on tire pricing on 22s from your original post, I was shopping today and on tire rack the original equipment continental contisport set is $1600 usd, so pricing really isn’t that obscene.
Hi GLE owners:
I have a 2022 GLE 53 AMG Coupe with 22 inch summer tires and also have a set of 2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe 20 inch winter tires bought originally from MB dealer.

Will the 2016 GLE450 winter tires fit my 2022 GLE 53 ?

I checked MB dealer for the 2022 GLE winter tires package and they have only 20 inch Pirelli Winter Scorpion 275/50R20 package. My 2016 winter tires are eactly the same as quoted by MB dealer. I understand the wheels offset are different for 2022 compared to 2016 and hence may have to buy a new set of rims if I want to re-use my 2016 Pirelli's.

Any comments or suggestions about non-dealer wheels vs buying OE from MB dealer wheels ?

I am in Canada and hope to hear from some you folks