W211 No Crank No start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 e320cdi
W211 No Crank No start

Hi
Last friday my 2005 e320cdi started having issues an hour away from home... first android radio shut off, then got a messsage that display has an error, visit workshop, then SRS error visit workshop....few others popped up and cycled, stabalizing and allowing me on my journey home. the two messages and Radio remaind though. Got home, shut off the car, and scanned with my odb2...got a bunch of storred codes, so i clearned to see what will come back, and tried to start the car. The 1st turn of the ignition seemed fine,, but once I got to glowplug lights and actual cranking, nothing happened. started doing some researched and initial diagnosis lead to the front SAM and starter relay. I checked that and jumped the two conenctors, but still no preglow light or crank, but at least teh fan turned on. I checked all the fuses in front, back and driver side of the car, and all are good. Next day i hooked up my scanner, and it did not detect my car automatically anymore, and when selecting the vin manually, only two modules were ebing scanned. doing furthe reasearch, it seems that the CGW module may be bad due to corrosion. I took it apart and sure enough, there was some corrosion, but didnt seem bad enough to cause the issue im having. I tested the voltage on the pins with and without module attached, and attached are the results. At this point it seems its the CGW module that is bad, but I do have some questions as I bought a new one:

1) will it function out of the box, or does it need to be prohramed before any functionality is feasable?
2) any other suggestions to troubleshoot aside from the CGW? I swapped out the ECM two years ago as it was giving me similar problems during sub zero weather.

TIA

Old 08-15-2024, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,438 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Good job gathering amos: your tranny is not letting your engine crank and ESP has an undisclosed trouble fault.

++++ IN ADDITION...:
Yes CGW can disable your car. It is connected to ALL CAN Networks.
It's one of the top BOSCH chassis Modules, acting as power manager for the ECU.

ROOT CAUSE:
The fix is not only about replacing a module but preventing killing the next one.

Got to find out what happened : Water intrusion ?? roof drain,
windshield seam,
windshield drain jammed,
roof welds seal

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-15-2024 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2024, 06:51 AM

2005 e320cdi
Update: It was the CGW module. Although im struggling to configure the new one, and many of my options are not working / throw wrrors, I am at least able to start the car and shift gears. I will provide a deeper write up once I get it all functional.
The following users liked this post:
bbirdwell (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,438 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
No1 chassis VIP

Originally Posted by darek1
Update: It was the CGW module.
Although im struggling to configure the new one, and many of my options are not working / throw wrrors, I am at least able to start the car and shift gears.
I will provide a deeper write up once I get it all functional.
CGW has many functions, one of which is to store the chassis configuration codes. Without a proper setup the chassis options are randomly assigned.

If you can not clone old CGW, new/fresh on-line coding may be required.

Contact @BenzNinja services for help fixing this.
🤞
BenzNinja (08-17-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 05:36 AM

2005 e320cdi
CGW module replaced. I finally had it initialized and properly configured with DAS, and all issues / faults are gone and cleared up. I also wrapped the module in plastic bag to prevent any moisture seeping into the connectors and causing any future harm.
bbirdwell (08-20-2024)