Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Installation of magnetic charging port for Trickle chargers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S203
Installation of magnetic charging port for Trickle chargers

All Aston Martin vehicles are equipped with this magnetic charging Port.
The Aston Martin charger was marked as follows...
"By charging the battery when the vehicle is not in use, the battery condition is constantly maintained and engine problems can be prevented."

I agree with Aston Martin.

The same condition as a flashlight with a weak battery or an audio remote control with a weak battery is not good for the vehicle.

Semiconductors in older cars use power.
Even the latest semiconductors in newer cars use more power if there are more of them.

I installed a magnetic charging port to S203.

Magnetic charging port mounted inside the tire house on the front fender. (Magnetic clip for CTEK charger)

Dust caps are also installed to prevent mud splattering dirt.

I drilled a hole in the tire house panel and installed a magnetic port.

A 28 mm hole saw is used for drilling

The battery is equipped on the left side because of the right handle position.

From left to right, the 3-meter harness supplied with the installation kit was passed through.

The charging harnesses were bundled together with other harnesses.

Connect the charging harness to the battery to finish the work.

Simply click the magnetic terminal to start charging.

Previously, the CTEK eyelet terminal was connected to the battery.

In the past, it was a tedious process to open the engine hood, connect the charger to the terminals, and close the engine hood each time the battery was recharged.

Since the magnetic charging port was installed, the battery has always been in constant condition.
This magnetic port was installed in the AMG SLS GT and Maybach at the vehicle assembly factory by MB OEM.

The magnetic charging port can be installed at any position depending on the vehicle and garage environment.
Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM

S203
There was no image in the post showing the CTEK charger connected.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 991 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
I can appreciate the utility in connecting a charger while the vehicle is locked and secured, but locating the connector in the wheel well seems to be the worst possible choice. The connector dust cap is likely not IP67 rated, and it will admit dirt and moisture over time, especially if driven through standing water. A mil spec connector with a screw on cover would be a better choice. For me, cleaning the mud and crud off the connector in order to use it would be more bothersome than opening and closing the hood.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 683 Likes on 507 Posts
MB
Nice work, looks very clean along with your wagon.

Do you have a link or part number to buy that magnetic plug?
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Just a question to clarify the configuration -- is the charger magnetic puck an inductive charger, or is it simply holding electrical contacts together, and the magnetic feature allows you to drive away without damage in the event you forgot you're charging?
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by streborx
Just a question to clarify the configuration -- is the charger magnetic puck an inductive charger, or is it simply holding electrical contacts together, and the magnetic feature allows you to drive away without damage in the event you forgot you're charging?
Looks like OP used mag code ports:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Magc...tic+power+port

Pretty cool install but not really worth the effort for me since I only plug in when going away for a week or longer. Popping the hood and clipping the alligator clips takes about 90 sec.

Was it you @streborx that said it was easy to install the quick connect pigtail from underneath the plastic engine cover panel underneath the red, positive slide cover jumper connection under the hood? Maybe not but someone said it was easy and maybe I'll do that and cut the time to 30sec to plug in the car.

Last edited by wildta; Yesterday at 12:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by wildta
Looks like OP used mag code ports:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Magc...tic+power+port

Pretty cool install but not really worth the effort for me since I only plug in when going away for a week or longer. Popping the hood and clipping the alligator clips takes about 90 sec.

Was it you @streborx that said it was easy to install the quick connect pigtail from underneath the plastic engine cover panel underneath the red, positive slide cover jumper connection under the hood? Maybe not but someone said it was easy and maybe I'll do that and cut the time to 30sec to plug in the car.
Yes, I installed the eyelet pigtail to the jumper terminals. Makes connect/disconnect fast and always correct polarity.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

S203
Mercedes-Benz used to sell these parts as genuine parts.
The genuine part number for the SLS GT is 197-820-01-51.

Last edited by emem; Yesterday at 06:50 PM.
wildta (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

S203
Originally Posted by streborx
I can appreciate the utility in connecting a charger while the vehicle is locked and secured, but locating the connector in the wheel well seems to be the worst possible choice. The connector dust cap is likely not IP67 rated, and it will admit dirt and moisture over time, especially if driven through standing water. A mil spec connector with a screw on cover would be a better choice. For me, cleaning the mud and crud off the connector in order to use it would be more bothersome than opening and closing the hood.
Certainly the dust cap is not waterproof.
The magnetic charging port is listed as IP65 in the catalog.
Ferrari or Bentley uses this port as an OEM part and installs it without a dust cap near the rear license lamp.

I did this magnetic port installation last June.
Already, more than a year has passed and it has made the process of connecting to the CTEK laughably easy.
The good thing about this part is that if I forget to disconnect it and move the vehicle, the magnetic clip and the magnetic port come off easily.

Last edited by emem; Yesterday at 09:58 PM.
wildta (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 306 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I dont put alot of miles on my W204 so I like to hook up my Noco Genuis5 charger to it once a week to keep the battery charged. I dont trust leaving the charger out, for weather reasons especially in winter and i dont trust my neighbors.

I installed the harness, positive directly to the battery, ground to the same ground post as the battery negative cable, then just put the charger in the engine bay when charging. I am able to fish the extension cord thru the front grill so i can close the hood and lock the car.

emem (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by TimC300
I dont put alot of miles on my W204 so I like to hook up my Noco Genuis5 charger to it once a week to keep the battery charged. I dont trust leaving the charger out, for weather reasons especially in winter and i dont trust my neighbors.

I installed the harness, positive directly to the battery, ground to the same ground post as the battery negative cable, then just put the charger in the engine bay when charging. I am able to fish the extension cord thru the front grill so i can close the hood and lock the car.

Your engine bay looks so clean!
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

S203
[QUOTE=TimC300;9018612]I dont put alot of miles on my W204 so I like to hook up my Noco Genuis5 charger to it once a week to keep the battery charged. I dont trust leaving the charger out, for weather reasons especially in winter and i dont trust my neighbors.

[/QOTE]

I think your method is perfect without the influence of rainfall.
I used to charge in the same way.
In my case, I installed a magnetic charging terminal because I move the vehicle frequently and I wanted to find a way to make it easy for other family to connect and disconnect.

Is NOCO's charger market share higher than CTEK's in the US?

Last edited by emem; Yesterday at 09:56 PM.
Old Today, 12:48 AM

S203
This is the magnetic charging port installation kit I utilized.
I chose the long harness type of magnetic clip for the CTEK charger.

A 15A fuse is provided on the battery side of the charging harness.

Old Today, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 714 Likes on 531 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
I like the connector idea but would relocate to front of car or I dunno I would have to have it in hand and walk the car
Old Today, 08:20 AM

S203
Originally Posted by ygmn
I like the connector idea but would relocate to front of car or I dunno I would have to have it in hand and walk the car
Thank you.
The front fender is a very convenient location for me.

The location of the battery varies from vehicle to vehicle: in the engine compartment, under the seat, in the rear trunk, etc.
The charging environment in garages and parking lot also varies.

Magnetic charging ports can be placed in convenient locations for everyone.

An AMG GT I know has a magnetic charging port installed in the rear bumper.
This car is equipped with a lithium battery and he takes very good care of the lithium battery.

For him, it is convenient to have the charging port in this position due to the garage environment and other factors.

Old Today, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I like this rear mount location -- it seems much better protected than the front wheel well.