Windshield Wiper/Washer Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2024 Mercedes-Benz E350
Windshield Wiper/Washer Fluid Question

Hi Everyone,

Happy Sunday! This forum is great! I've had my new car about 3 weeks now and during the rain, at times the windshield wipers stick when being turned on, however, the faster they go and the more it rains, they tend not to stick. I assume this is normal because the car is brand new, and I also had the dealer do the ceramic coating.

Also, when they stick during light light rain, I press the windshield washer fluid button just to spray a very little amount, and they no longer stick. My other question is, is there a certain washer fluid we should be putting in these cars? I almost never use washer fluid so I'm not worried, but is there a certain ones that we must put in? Also, when we go in for service (mine isn't due until next summer), do they fill up the washer fluid tank as well? I would imagine they do.

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
2024 E350 W214, 2007 Dodge Durango Limited, 2005 Honda VTX 1300s, 2020 Honda Gold Wing DCT Tour
Regarding washer fluid, yes, the dealer should top off the fluid when you bring it in for service. Most any washer fluid will work however, there has been discussions that Rain-X had caused some issues in the past with the motor used to spray the fluid on the windshield.

Regarding your wipers sticking. Can you elaborate on that a bit? When you say stick, do you mean the stop at some point on the windshield and just stay there or that when they change direction it seems like they briefly stick to the glass and you hear a noise as the motor forces them to move in the opposite direction? Or, are you talking about something else?
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

2024 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by L1Wolf
Regarding washer fluid, yes, the dealer should top off the fluid when you bring it in for service. Most any washer fluid will work however, there has been discussions that Rain-X had caused some issues in the past with the motor used to spray the fluid on the windshield.

Regarding your wipers sticking. Can you elaborate on that a bit? When you say stick, do you mean the stop at some point on the windshield and just stay there or that when they change direction it seems like they briefly stick to the glass and you hear a noise as the motor forces them to move in the opposite direction? Or, are you talking about something else?
You live on this forum man! You've been so helpful! lol. No they never stop completely or get stuck. They briefly stick to the glass I guess if there is not enough water on the windshield. I hear a noise of them jumping from spot to spot, occasionally. Then if I turn them up to the fast speed, that no longer happens, or if it's raining heavily, that no longer happens. Or like I said, if I put a little windshield washer fluid on the windshield, it no longer happens. My guess it's because the wipers are cleaning the windshield thoroughly.

Last edited by snarestud940; Yesterday at 02:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
2024 E350 W214, 2007 Dodge Durango Limited, 2005 Honda VTX 1300s, 2020 Honda Gold Wing DCT Tour
Originally Posted by snarestud940
You live on this forum man! You've been so helpful! lol. No they never stop completely or get stuck. They briefly stick to the glass I guess if there is not enough water on the windshield. I hear a noise of them jumping from spot to spot, occasionally. Then if I turn them up to the fast speed, that no longer happens, or if it's raining heavily, that no longer happens. Or like I said, if I put a little windshield washer fluid on the windshield, it no longer happens. My guess it's because the wipers are cleaning the windshield thoroughly.
Thanks! I'm on my computer doing some research and it's easy to respond when I am.

Sounds to me like it's just friction between the blades and the glass. Maybe you glass needs a good cleaning or the rubber on the wipers needs to be cleaned. When the blades reverse direction the rubber has to flip over to the other edge which can sometimes make a noise. It could be that they are stiff and need to work themselves out over time. I wonder if the dealership put ceramic coating on the glass as well and if that isn't having some impact here where it's causing this to occur. I would think the opposite as the coating would make things much smoother.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

2024 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by L1Wolf
Thanks! I'm on my computer doing some research and it's easy to respond when I am.

Sounds to me like it's just friction between the blades and the glass. Maybe you glass needs a good cleaning or the rubber on the wipers needs to be cleaned. When the blades reverse direction the rubber has to flip over to the other edge which can sometimes make a noise. It could be that they are stiff and need to work themselves out over time. I wonder if the dealership put ceramic coating on the glass as well and if that isn't having some impact here where it's causing this to occur. I would think the opposite as the coating would make things much smoother.
Completely agreed. I think it needs to work themselves out, or the the wipers are doing a great job wiping the glass that they just get too dry lol. If it was a motor or alignment issue, in my opinion, it would still occur when the washer fluid is sprayed on, or when it's pouring hard. My guess it just needs to be worked in. I got the car washed 3 times so far, it seems like it's not as bad each time. Not too worried just thought I'd ask.

Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 591 Likes on 449 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Completely agreed. I think it needs to work themselves out, or the the wipers are doing a great job wiping the glass that they just get too dry lol. If it was a motor or alignment issue, in my opinion, it would still occur when the washer fluid is sprayed on, or when it's pouring hard. My guess it just needs to be worked in. I got the car washed 3 times so far, it seems like it's not as bad each time. Not too worried just thought I'd ask.

Thank you!
L1Wolf I think has identified the problem: the ceramic coating.

On another forum I posted that putting Rain X on the windshield, not the windshield fluid, but the actual product may cause problems with your wiper blades.

From my experience wiper blades are like skis: from the factory they are best and with time get worse. IMO, the are not getting better or breaking in: the ceramic coating is wearing away - you mentioned that after the car wash. The fact that when either you use your spray or it is raining hard, the problem goes away. The spray eases surface tension, while heavy rain your blades are going faster.

What I suggest is that you get a good glass cleaner and do your entire windshield. This should remove the ceramic coating which I believe is the cause of your problem.

Last edited by JTK44; Yesterday at 03:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

2024 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by JTK44
L1Wolf I think has identified the problem: the ceramic coating.

On another forum I posted that putting Rain X on the windshield, not the windshield fluid, but the actual product may cause problems with your wiper blades.

From my experience wiper blades are like skis: from the factory they are best and with time get worse. IMO, the are not getting better or breaking in: the ceramic coating is wearing away - you mentioned that after the car wash. The fact that when either you use your spray or it is raining hard, the problem goes away. The spray eases surface tension, while heavy rain your blades are going faster.

What I suggest is that you get a good glass cleaner and do your entire windshield. This should remove the ceramic coating which I believe is the cause of your problem.
thanks, I see that with every wash it doesn’t get a little bit better, so I’m not too worried. Do you think I should take some steel wool and just wipe off the windshield on the outside?
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benz E300
Hi Everyone,

Happy Sunday! This forum is great! I've had my new car about 3 weeks now and during the rain, at times the windshield wipers stick when being turned on, however, the faster they go and the more it rains, they tend not to stick. I assume this is normal because the car is brand new, and I also had the dealer do the ceramic coating.

Also, when they stick during light light rain, I press the windshield washer fluid button just to spray a very little amount, and they no longer stick. My other question is, is there a certain washer fluid we should be putting in these cars? I almost never use washer fluid so I'm not worried, but is there a certain ones that we must put in? Also, when we go in for service (mine isn't due until next summer), do they fill up the washer fluid tank as well? I would imagine they do.

Thanks!
My one month old E300 had the same issue since new.
Took it to the dealer and they changed the blades and issue gone.
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

2024 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by Ewok
My one month old E300 had the same issue since new.
Took it to the dealer and they changed the blades and issue gone.
thats my guess needs new blades. But it’s not bothersome. Just don’t wanna break anything. Are they easy to change yourself?
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benz E300
thats my guess needs new blades. But it’s not bothersome. Just don’t wanna break anything. Are they easy to change yourself?
Dealer changed them under warranty
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
thanks, I see that with every wash it doesn’t get a little bit better, so I’m not too worried. Do you think I should take some steel wool and just wipe off the windshield on the outside?
I would not use steel wool
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

2024 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by Ewok
Dealer changed them under warranty
by the time I bring it in and have them look at it they probably wouldn’t even change them because they are stingy lol. Are they easier to change on your own? I’ll probably just buy an extra pair.
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

by the time I bring it in and have them look at it they probably wouldn’t even change them because they are stingy lol. Are they easier to change on your own? I’ll probably just buy an extra pair.
Yes:

see: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...r+blades&pos=2