SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: All R230 Community Contribuitions! Help Restore my R230 to natural GLORY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz SL500R 5.0L V8 (M113)
All R230 Community Contribuitions! Help Restore my R230 to natural GLORY

2003 SL500R with glass top R230 Chassis of course Vin # WDBSK75F83F022501 70,800 miles 113,900 kilometers Purchased vehicle 3310 USD 4400 CAD Cost 2600 to reigster it my name here in Canada. Gotta love the government! No service history, if one was generous to provide a service history I wouldn't say no.. Here's everything I have ran into with having an SL500 parked in my driveway for a year and a half. I have little to no mechanical knowledge but I like to challenge myself with this car. Its a huge post, forgive my ADHD, well.. because yeah. If you read it, you'll get it. Im really hoping the time I spent being all over the place helps all the other SL owners that bought their car as a project in hopes to be riding in style one day. I really hope the community benefits from the discussions and different trouble shooting methods, how issues relate and how the systems function and how to test them.. I'm all over the place tackling numerous different elements with this car. Most would cut ties but I want to learn and this is all a DIY in the end under the circumstances that Star/sds/DAS may be required.. because of our lovely friend SAM I bought the car at good price, not knowing what can of worms I'd be getting into. I've done pretty basic stuff with my own daily driver but the engineering with these vehicles I actually really love and want to understand more. I find the more I figure out how to take it apart and stuff and trouble shoot the electrical and look at the different harnesses and SAMs, central locking pse vacuum systems, the hydraulic pump and lines along with all the different roof cylinder locations. I want to learn it all. I will mention it is exhausting though not having appropriate reader which I have a Foxwell NT 530 coming which has the Benz specifications. But also the electrical side of things and understanding wiring diagrams and schematics and how circuits and grounds and stuff work, I lack in that area. So understand CAN bus and stuff it's a little outside my knowledge. That's where I turn to the internet. I have an intermittent HID currently and replaced the ignitor but the plastic is quite brittle on the red connector ordered the replacement and when connecting the two little claws that twist into the bulb broke again. I'm going to switch ballast from my passenger to check and see if its that. If the ballasts functions in the opposing side I presume issue will be solved. I do notice a fair bit if corrosion on external casing but internals look new with no visible damage. I'm also experiencing an issue on passenger side, the indicator bulb harness has been updated since there was a shorting issue inside the housing so Mercedes opted for this external harness as a solution. So they removed a wire from factory harness repinned in a new connector with external ground. It's weird though, my left SAM module will recognize the driver indicator bulb being removed but does not see any issues on the passenger side regarding the fact its not functioning. I also didn't have the side marker bulb working either on passenger side. Once I get organized I'll add power and see how things function. I dropped the bumper today and plan to do and thorough inspection on the harness leading up to the passenger SAM.. Fingers crossed the ballast solves my issue with the faulty low beam. The HID bulb is new and it just flashes about 10 times and remains out after start up. Previously I noticed issues with it being intermittent and that is when I opted for an ignitor. Had I known I was going to get this involved I would have tried passenger ignitor on that side as well.. and now that I am thinking I will try that if the ballast switch fails.. In addition to my passenger side issue with side marker and indicator bulb I also have no fanfare horn at the push pad but from the passenger side engine fuse panel if I remove the relay and push in the contacts it will sound the horn, so this tells me that the horn and wiring and relay are good, also tried a new one, no luck, but when I push the pad it doesn't engage the relay contacts. Some say clock spring.. I twisted the wheel while holding the horn, it's not intermittent but I'd consider the fix. But one thing to mention there was a bit of a rodent nest up under the dash and I was trying to trace a wire because I was told horn and passenger blinker are on the same SAM and if the wire leading from harness that plugs into it there may be a break in the line.. It is a possibilty as the little bugger chewed my fiber optic cable and knocked out my audio, what fun it was disassembling entire interior looking for faulty modules within the fiber optic loop.. and I will say, I cut out the chewed section cut them nice and straight, added a 50 cent butt connector for regular wiring and it restored it.. I will aim for a permanent fix but that was a great success as I never imagined pulling the interior out piece by piece.. Thanks to youtube I learned a lot..I'm going to access the steering control module and see what data is provided. I'll probably need some guidance with that though. But back to the topic of the wire. I'd love to see how I could see that running under the dash.. I couldn't see it with the stereo out nor the bottom plastics of the dash looking up on the underside. I'd love to get my horn working and my blinker and a consistent HID working, I believe and hope this will get me inspected and on the road. I do have a white service brake visit workshop light. Once I can get inspected I'd like to rule out all my battery draws because there seems to be a parasitic draw and it's most likely the PSE pump which has also been a huge focus for me learning about the system.. My issue is I always blow fuses because the pump keeps running and then eventually shorts internally and blows the 20 amp circuit which is the fuse 71 for central locking, controlling various features such as lumbar support, glove compartment and center console and rear storage compartment access, it also controls the ability to open your gas cap door, soft close on your doors, soft close on your trunk, your door locks and even the communications between the two pumps, vacuum pump and roof pump.. if there's issues there the roof wont operate.. I know for a fact I have a leaking hydraulic cylinder in the rear shoulder roof lift cylinder and perhaps additional ones but the interior head liner is still holding at this point.. I'd hate to spend the money to send and get the quick connects from top hydraulics.. but I want everything in the car to work as it is supposed to.. I also have ABC issues and the front suspension components sag after a number of days sitting, I do hear some hissing from time to time and when idling the car will sink, not sure if that's just a benz feature to relieve the system when sitting for long periods or not.. That's also something I'd like to keep OEM if I can keep it at a decent repair cost and if it fails completely later on I'd probably do the swap to coil overs with appropriate guidance. Sadly I also have to do my valve cover gaskets and rtb the breather covers. I'll most likely do plugs while I am there as well.. If any tips or suggestions on that, thatd be amazing. I hope that the head gasket is good. Thatd be really disappointing. I had an issue with trans fluid wicking through the harness up to the TCM due to a failed pilot bushing on the conductor plates speed sensor connector, which are essentially a couple o rings that go on a plastic cover which is pretty difficult to line up, mine required a lot of patience and its super awkward if your just on the ground and under the car. I also replaced the voltage regulator and 100 amp fuse in passenger foot well behind the sub woofer and metal kick panel to solve a charging issue. Ill have to learn how to do a transmission flush as it seems to go into gear rough.. could also be from sitting so much, not really sure and to perform a proper oil change on it. So all in all I have a huge project on my hands and I'm okay with it if I am making progress, I will take everyone's input, knowledge and suggestions and apply them to my troubleshooting through my journey with the car. Cheers ✌️

Such a pretty girl
Old 08-24-2024, 02:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
What?
Old 08-24-2024, 02:49 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Received 206 Likes on 169 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
That's one BIG paragraph to absorb... Good luck!
Old 08-24-2024, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 SL500 2004 SL500
Things you'll Need!

Originally Posted by LearnAsIGo
2003 SL500R with glass top R230 Chassis of course Vin # WDBSK75F83F022501 70,800 miles 113,900 kilometers Purchased vehicle 3310 USD 4400 CAD Cost 2600 to reigster it my name here in Canada. Gotta love the government! No service history, if one was generous to provide a service history I wouldn't say no.. Here's everything I have ran into with having an SL500 parked in my driveway for a year and a half. I have little to no mechanical knowledge but I like to challenge myself with this car. Its a huge post, forgive my ADHD, well.. because yeah. If you read it, you'll get it. Im really hoping the time I spent being all over the place helps all the other SL owners that bought their car as a project in hopes to be riding in style one day. I really hope the community benefits from the discussions and different trouble shooting methods, how issues relate and how the systems function and how to test them.. I'm all over the place tackling numerous different elements with this car. Most would cut ties but I want to learn and this is all a DIY in the end under the circumstances that Star/sds/DAS may be required.. because of our lovely friend SAM I bought the car at good price, not knowing what can of worms I'd be getting into. I've done pretty basic stuff with my own daily driver but the engineering with these vehicles I actually really love and want to understand more. I find the more I figure out how to take it apart and stuff and trouble shoot the electrical and look at the different harnesses and SAMs, central locking pse vacuum systems, the hydraulic pump and lines along with all the different roof cylinder locations. I want to learn it all. I will mention it is exhausting though not having appropriate reader which I have a Foxwell NT 530 coming which has the Benz specifications. But also the electrical side of things and understanding wiring diagrams and schematics and how circuits and grounds and stuff work, I lack in that area. So understand CAN bus and stuff it's a little outside my knowledge. That's where I turn to the internet. I have an intermittent HID currently and replaced the ignitor but the plastic is quite brittle on the red connector ordered the replacement and when connecting the two little claws that twist into the bulb broke again. I'm going to switch ballast from my passenger to check and see if its that. If the ballasts functions in the opposing side I presume issue will be solved. I do notice a fair bit if corrosion on external casing but internals look new with no visible damage. I'm also experiencing an issue on passenger side, the indicator bulb harness has been updated since there was a shorting issue inside the housing so Mercedes opted for this external harness as a solution. So they removed a wire from factory harness repinned in a new connector with external ground. It's weird though, my left SAM module will recognize the driver indicator bulb being removed but does not see any issues on the passenger side regarding the fact its not functioning. I also didn't have the side marker bulb working either on passenger side. Once I get organized I'll add power and see how things function. I dropped the bumper today and plan to do and thorough inspection on the harness leading up to the passenger SAM.. Fingers crossed the ballast solves my issue with the faulty low beam. The HID bulb is new and it just flashes about 10 times and remains out after start up. Previously I noticed issues with it being intermittent and that is when I opted for an ignitor. Had I known I was going to get this involved I would have tried passenger ignitor on that side as well.. and now that I am thinking I will try that if the ballast switch fails.. In addition to my passenger side issue with side marker and indicator bulb I also have no fanfare horn at the push pad but from the passenger side engine fuse panel if I remove the relay and push in the contacts it will sound the horn, so this tells me that the horn and wiring and relay are good, also tried a new one, no luck, but when I push the pad it doesn't engage the relay contacts. Some say clock spring.. I twisted the wheel while holding the horn, it's not intermittent but I'd consider the fix. But one thing to mention there was a bit of a rodent nest up under the dash and I was trying to trace a wire because I was told horn and passenger blinker are on the same SAM and if the wire leading from harness that plugs into it there may be a break in the line.. It is a possibilty as the little bugger chewed my fiber optic cable and knocked out my audio, what fun it was disassembling entire interior looking for faulty modules within the fiber optic loop.. and I will say, I cut out the chewed section cut them nice and straight, added a 50 cent butt connector for regular wiring and it restored it.. I will aim for a permanent fix but that was a great success as I never imagined pulling the interior out piece by piece.. Thanks to youtube I learned a lot..I'm going to access the steering control module and see what data is provided. I'll probably need some guidance with that though. But back to the topic of the wire. I'd love to see how I could see that running under the dash.. I couldn't see it with the stereo out nor the bottom plastics of the dash looking up on the underside. I'd love to get my horn working and my blinker and a consistent HID working, I believe and hope this will get me inspected and on the road. I do have a white service brake visit workshop light. Once I can get inspected I'd like to rule out all my battery draws because there seems to be a parasitic draw and it's most likely the PSE pump which has also been a huge focus for me learning about the system.. My issue is I always blow fuses because the pump keeps running and then eventually shorts internally and blows the 20 amp circuit which is the fuse 71 for central locking, controlling various features such as lumbar support, glove compartment and center console and rear storage compartment access, it also controls the ability to open your gas cap door, soft close on your doors, soft close on your trunk, your door locks and even the communications between the two pumps, vacuum pump and roof pump.. if there's issues there the roof wont operate.. I know for a fact I have a leaking hydraulic cylinder in the rear shoulder roof lift cylinder and perhaps additional ones but the interior head liner is still holding at this point.. I'd hate to spend the money to send and get the quick connects from top hydraulics.. but I want everything in the car to work as it is supposed to.. I also have ABC issues and the front suspension components sag after a number of days sitting, I do hear some hissing from time to time and when idling the car will sink, not sure if that's just a benz feature to relieve the system when sitting for long periods or not.. That's also something I'd like to keep OEM if I can keep it at a decent repair cost and if it fails completely later on I'd probably do the swap to coil overs with appropriate guidance. Sadly I also have to do my valve cover gaskets and rtb the breather covers. I'll most likely do plugs while I am there as well.. If any tips or suggestions on that, thatd be amazing. I hope that the head gasket is good. Thatd be really disappointing. I had an issue with trans fluid wicking through the harness up to the TCM due to a failed pilot bushing on the conductor plates speed sensor connector, which are essentially a couple o rings that go on a plastic cover which is pretty difficult to line up, mine required a lot of patience and its super awkward if your just on the ground and under the car. I also replaced the voltage regulator and 100 amp fuse in passenger foot well behind the sub woofer and metal kick panel to solve a charging issue. Ill have to learn how to do a transmission flush as it seems to go into gear rough.. could also be from sitting so much, not really sure and to perform a proper oil change on it. So all in all I have a huge project on my hands and I'm okay with it if I am making progress, I will take everyone's input, knowledge and suggestions and apply them to my troubleshooting through my journey with the car. Cheers ✌️

Such a pretty girl
. Two things you are going to need if you plan to keep the car. Star Diagnostic system and a parts car. Cheaper to buy a spare car for parts than buying the parts. I drive 2 and have 2 parts cars

It's hard to pick a favorite, but the silver 2004 would be it. Living in South Texas I like the black at night and the silver one is fine anytime 😊.

During road trip to NC. This was a parking garage in New Orleans. 2006 SL 500 with Turbine rims.

On road trip to NY. In SC watching sunset.

Picture of Star Diagnostic system. You have to have one.

The two on the right are both parts cars.

Old 08-25-2024, 07:38 AM

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
Wow!! I think that if you went to a dealers service or parts counter and were nice to them, you could give them the car's VIN and they might look up any service history in their computer. They've done this for me, but were "unable" to print, so just read details to me while I wrote things down.
The following users liked this post:
Bdevil82 (09-01-2024)