E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Aftermarket Android Auto solutions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E400 4MATIC
Aftermarket Android Auto solutions

I've recently purchased a 2016 E400 / W212 and so far have been loving the new car! One thing that's noticeably missing is Android Auto / Car Play for better navigation and music playback options (along with the inability to select the next track from the steering wheel but that deserves another thread). I've been looking at options for the past few weeks and am focusing on either the Road Top Linux screen or the Android one. My use case would be primarily for Android Auto (or CarPlay) though if either option provides access to diagnostic codes, etc. would use that on occasion. Here are some question I had based on what I've read on other threads.
  • Would you expect any difference in sound quality playback with either the Linux or Android model?
  • Do these completely shut down ie. consume 0 power when the car is turned off?
  • I've read about mic issues during calls and wanted to hear more about that and if it's possible to use the factory mic for calls as an alternative.
  • For those with the Android model...
    • What apps do you use?
    • Are you able to view trouble codes similar to an ODB scanner?
  • For those with the Linux screen...
    • Do you still need to purchase the MMI box for Android Auto or does the screen replace that altogether?
    • Are you able to view trouble codes similar to an ODB scanner? I assume not but wanted to confirm.
Linux screen: https://roadtop.com/products/for-ben...45599961383155
Android screen: https://roadtop.com/products/mercede...43198070620403

Any other experiences, good bad or otherwise, would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-2024, 08:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
W212 E300 2010
I have the android model,
  • SQ wise is just ok, however playing CD has much better SQ IMO (not that much). I saw on some online forums people use external DAC to improve SQ but I havent tried it.
  • The android OS itself is completely shutdown (when starting the car it needs some time to boot up), however the access to reverse camera, original NTG menu is instant.
  • MIC issues, yeah oem is better but I find it hard to keep using the original bluetooth and apple carplay wireless simultaneously. You need to pick one.
  • I dont use android apps often, mostly I use android auto/apple carplay. The UI is far more optimised on carplay/andorid auto. .Only use google maps and spotify.
  • I dont connect obd scanner however the built in canbus interface able to detect and display speed, engine rpm, seatbelt warning, outside temp, door open status, and climate settings.
So far I'm very satisfied with it
The following users liked this post:
madmike98 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 654 Likes on 489 Posts
W212 FL
I can't answer all the questions but I have got an Android device installed in car as well .
1 - Mine doesn't shut down as soon as I stopped the engine , if just keeps playing music until I open the driver's door
2- Yes, microphone issue has been a problem with me as well . To overcome it , I had to select MB Bluetooth during calls , but it's not a safe to do it because the car is being driven at some point . My solution is simple : I deleted the phone and connect it via Hot Spot if needed ,Bluetooth connection is active only with the Comand Unit .Yes, OEM microphone can be used and works better
3- I don't use Android Auto because I don't think I need it , I would just need a bigger display than OEM
4- Music quality is same if not better
5- I can also see A/C settings at the bottom of the display when I change them which is very handy to me
The following 2 users liked this post by BenzV12:
CaliBenzDriver (08-26-2024), madmike98 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 07:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 E63 S
2016 MY should have Android auto/Apple car. Do you have comand NTG 5?
Old 09-01-2024, 09:13 AM

2016 E400 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Cla1111
2016 MY should have Android auto/Apple car. Do you have comand NTG 5?
I do but would like a bigger touch screen.
Old 09-12-2024, 12:04 AM

2016 E400 4MATIC
I got my new Android unit and am doing a little bit of pre-reading before ripping into it. Because my car has the NTG5 version, it looks like I'm going to have to install a 3.5mm <-> USB dongle in the center arm rest. I was hoping to avoid running cables from the center armrest to the head unit but it's looking unavoidable. Has anyone found a better alternative?

There also seems to be the potential need for a DSP box to address a video lag concern. My car has the Harman Kardon speakers and does NOT have an amplifier in the trunk. Just as a quick check I connected my own tablet to it and played videos through the AUX with the stock unit and everything seemed to be in sync. Wondering if this is something folks have experienced/opinions on.

Thanks!