GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

My life with a 122k 2012 GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 06:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 GL 450. 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion
My life with a 122k 2012 GL450

I intend to use this thread to journal my experience with a 2012 GL450 with 122,665k miles purchased on 08/20/2024.

​​​​​​So this automotive relationship began as a meeting of chance as my intended target at the time was 3rd row SUV that had led me to a used car lot in New Jersey from my home in NYC. A 2012 Nissan Pathfinder with 115k miles.

This Pathfinder with 3rd row seats was attractive and but for a few nicks not a bad vehicle at all. However while there I walked around the car lot and also found another good looking vehicle, a 2010 Nissan Armada also with 3rd row seats with similar mileage.

​​​
I had glimpsed a big Mercedes grille but had largely avoided the grey SUV attached to it one more pass and glance at the price and mileage being similar to the two others I peeked through the rear tinted glass and say a 3rd row of seats. Still dismissive just write it down with the other 2 vehicles and went in the lot office and asked about the three cars. I came out and since the GL450 was the only one I had not opened I went back to it and opened the gear door. At that point in the sunlight the beige immaculate interior stole the day. I took the Big Benz for a test drive, a long enough drive for them to call me twice to check on me 😆.
Car was very good and I knew for the same money I might kick myself later for passing it up for the other 2 choices. That was Saturday 8/17/2024. I brought I home Tuesday 8/20/2024... And so it began

Last edited by twcom; 08-25-2024 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:10 PM

After bringing the Big GL450 home a 56 mile drive with one stop for a quick , now it's yours, stop for a quick wipe off and wax, I Brought the shinny SUV across the George Washington Bridge into Manhattan. I parked on the corner of my block and let the car sit for two days but for sitting in it and getting familiar with the lay out and all button controls. No shock leak down, no tires leaking air. Note the tire pressures were ridiculous 35psi front left, 61psi front right, 51 rear left, 37 rear right. Still the ride home was not bad but the 61psi tire did feel out of sorts.
​​​​​​After looking over the GL it is missing only one of the 3 child hook latch cover in the rear of the 2nd row of seats and one of 4 child safety latch in the front area of the 2nd row of seats on the interior. And the exterior one wheel center cap is distorted, the right headlight lense is less nice than the fully clear passenger side. ( An eventual change) And there are these little slide in things on top of the pillar trim perhaps they deal out water. But one is missing I and sure that will be a scrap yard find along with one rear lug bolt it is no sheared off just missing. Mechanically all appears intact. The rear tires are in good shape with Continental Cross Contact tires the fronts are some thing else although all are 275/50 r20 sized. (I intend to pick up two Conti Cross Contact for the front and have a matching set up. The car drives straight with little oil to the right with the steering off center by just that much. So when I get the Conti Cross Contacts on the front I will have the wheels aligned. The oil on the dip stick was fairly clean and marks just a bit from full. The first but if gas I put in it was just 35 dollars as I did not want the tank full Incase there could have been a tank leak of some sort. ( Days later on a full up from gas light one territory it was just over 100.00 to full. 24 gallons ). My intent is to do as little as possible this first 30 days although a oil and filter including cabin air filters will likely be done.
For now we are getting along well

Last edited by twcom; 08-25-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:57 AM

During the first two days of letting the car sit to disliked of mine were figured out. I do not like the on always day time running headlights. I managed to find it in the settings and change the settings to off. The second was two fold. First the blind spot assist lights on the mirror had the triangles continuously lit orange and the left one would turn red when the blind spot was blocked. (Never ,confirmed if the right side would turn red) I do not like that flashing warning. With that second was the dash message said the blind spot assistance was inoperative. While over time I would like to know way it's inoperative but I would not spend a dime on it unless it was connected to some other system concern. So again when I came across it in the settings I turned the Blind Spot Assist to off. The lighted triangles in the side mirrors went out and I was happy about it.
With tire pressure adjusted to 36 both rear and 34 both front. The ride transformed into something really comfy while handling improved as well. It's big but sweet running and handling to make it easy to drive and with aggressiveness when need or wanted. The steering is not fully centered so when I score a set of front tires I will get the wheels aligned. So shopping trip to. Walmart took us back across the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey. With gas showing on the reserves with fuel light on and no leaks found in three days I filled the tank with 93 octane premium Sunoco fuel while noticing the label on the gas cap lid stating 95 minimum 91.

Full grocery load of groceries and a full tank of gas. This was the heaviest I have driven the Big GL. No problem with getting up and go, and the weight makes cruising along and down grade allows a lot of foot off pedal costing that may stretch out the gas tank a little bit .....naaah. Wishful thinking 🤑.

​​​​​So I my thoughts of what I may do to put my touch on its appearance I quickly admire how classy a look it has as is all cleaned up. So I should do not do much more than a 65 year old retired female Nantucket would put on hers. That lead to the Name of this GL 450 becoming
"Martha Stewart". I parked ok and had a happier wife as tomorrow is Saturday and plans to retrieve 3 of the grand kids for and outing to a Dinosaur 🦕 Park in New Jersey is scheduled .
Nicely done Martha. 🤗

Old 08-26-2024, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 526 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Congratulations.

Normally this board would strongly advise you to get a pre-purchase inspection on GL, but since we’re past that I would recommend you find a good independent mechanic with a Mercedes star system computer who will give it a once over laundry list of things to fix.

if you post that up, we will gladly assist you with helping you prioritize with what needs to be kept up and what can be ignored or deferred; blis is a great example of a nice to have that doesn’t require immediate attention .

what does require immediate attention are mainly three things :

first, to ensure that the vehicle is dry inside and has no water leaks; fix any new water leaks very quickly.

Second, ensure that the transmission has had its service interval of 40,000 miles or at least close to it.

Third, stay ahead of any failing components in the Airmatic system by inspecting each bag for any pinhole leaks and replacing any suspect or old airsprings.

Those are the big three that will total this vehicle at this point in its life. But once they are sorted, it is a very nice ride for a not a lot of money.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Blast:
texas008 (08-27-2024), twcom (08-26-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Max Blast
Congratulations.

Normally this board would strongly advise you to get a pre-purchase inspection on GL, but since we’re past that I would recommend you find a good independent mechanic with a Mercedes star system computer who will give it a once over laundry list of things to fix.

if you post that up, we will gladly assist you with helping you prioritize with what needs to be kept up and what can be ignored or deferred; blis is a great example of a nice to have that doesn’t require immediate attention .

what does require immediate attention are mainly three things :

first, to ensure that the vehicle is dry inside and has no water leaks; fix any new water leaks very quickly.

Second, ensure that the transmission has had its service interval of 40,000 miles or at least close to it.

Third, stay ahead of any failing components in the Airmatic system by inspecting each bag for any pinhole leaks and replacing any suspect or old airsprings.

Those are the big three that will total this vehicle at this point in its life. But once they are sorted, it is a very nice ride for a not a lot of money.
Cool advise
Dry as a bone inside.
Extensive service records up to 101,k miles, little info from 101k to 122k
Comfortable with the idea of air system repair potential going forward.

Currently looking for front tires, Conti Cross Contact LX 25. 275/50 r20..,. Considering moving to 285/50 r20 all around .

Old 08-27-2024, 08:39 AM

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 GL450
I just got a set of Michelin Defender LTX for my 2007 GL450, nice and quiet tires.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by texas008
I just got a set of Michelin Defender LTX for my 2007 GL450, nice and quiet tires.
What size?
Old 08-27-2024, 09:59 AM

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by twcom
What size?
265/60R18
The following users liked this post:
twcom (08-27-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 09:24 AM

So after a Saturday of Grandbaby hauling (8yrs 8yrs and 11yrs of age) Martha the GL 450 is approved by all, although the 8 year old Boy child, who reminded me that some of these GL's come with the entertainment screens in the head rest. So I stop off at Walmart later and the Auto Drive head rest tablet holder are now fitted in Martha's interior satisfied that request. So After a fun day trip to that Animatronics Dinosaur park, and snacks at Wendy's. An effortless ride back across the George Washington Bridge into Manhattan and I must say I do like the the GL's driving confidence. If you ask her she's willing. It's stopping, when you feel your heavy. I did buy a little cig lighter USB adapter with the volts lit up on it as of the Temp/RPM/MPG/VLT info I am use to seeing by using the ScanGauge ll in my last few vehicles. I find the info center supply's all well enough except a Voltage monitor, so I will use the little adapter I. The front ashtray drawer as a way to monitor the voltage at a glance I also ordered two magnetic phone mounts for front seat usage. A multi USB charging port and a Bluetooth tooth unit to plug in to the glove box port.For more phone use options. But all Grandbabies have approved of The GL 450 purchase.. And Grandma lives it too.

Last edited by twcom; 08-30-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2024, 11:12 AM

It was a very nice week with Martha and the Grand kids.
I really enjoy the ride. The cargo space is truly limited with the third row in use so I will be looking at a roof cargo box as a future option. I did quite a bit of running around still with a half of tank of gas on board. I really like the very rear side golf out windows. I can see forgetting to close them though. I can feel it's Mercedes status when pull up to places.
I am on the hunt for 2 Continental Cross Contact LX 25 tires at 275/50 r20 .. is a pricey tire. So far 260 is the best new price I have found. I will git the search until Monday to come up with them

Old 08-31-2024, 11:14 PM

It's Saturday night my search for the Continental Cross Contact LX 25 tires size 275/50 r20 has proven to be a bit tiring. Lowest new price is $260 each so that would be just under $600 for two balanced and mounted.
That would give me two new tires upfront and two good looking but still known rear tires. A matched set however ever going forward unmatched wear.

So I am leaning towards a all around new set of Accelera Iota ST68 XL 116W A/S 285/50 R20 High performance all season tire. At around 500. Balanced and mounted.

​​​​​The car itself has been very well behaved. Just big clean luxury. Another reason to go with the Accelera tires is having had them on another vehicle they were ultra quiet on the road. I laughed when I actually realized the speedometer with 160 mph the Iota tires are speed rated rated for all of that plus 8 lol. Could be a nice cars and coffee conversation. 😆

Old 09-01-2024, 01:06 PM

Well after a thankful night's sleep I awake and was treated to a fantastic morning message.

"I have 2 for pick up" at 940 am... Deal I will be right there. 1045 am the 11 mile drive to pick them up was completed.

My daily driver, work house and pleasure car once again
Came to the rescue. The Harlem Edition Smart Fortwo on the job again. Does it look like two 20 inches are on board lol.
​​​

Well they were and with no problem brought the home.

​​​​​​Now it's big sister Martha can go get her glass slippers fitted on.

At 1 pm it was off with the old

And on with the almost new....

There there Martha... Now you're matching. Looking as great outside as inside. I was able to get a real good look at front brakes and rotors, Lots of pad left and smooth rotors. So Martha continues to improve. I will track down the 2 missing interior child seat hook covers next week end. And I think I will track down an owners manual for the glove compartment. But this was a greatly Blessed New York City Sunday.

Last edited by twcom; 09-01-2024 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2024, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 526 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Well, I’ll be…

Wrenching on the streets of New York, that is something you don’t see every day on this board.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:01 PM

Well, I’ll be…

Wrenching on the streets of New York, that is something you don’t see every day on this board.
Lol.. to be fair 70 percent of all fix a flat tire shops are store fronts that change out the wheels on the street in front. I do wrench on the little one on the streets of NYC I plan to to do little more than swap out a head light housing and wax the big girl on the street

​​​
Old 09-06-2024, 06:17 PM

Today's 9/6/2024 progression finds Martha with NY State plates replacing the NJ temp plate expiration 9/19/ 2024 , and it's NY inspection sticker affixed to the windshield. All systems appear to be in order. That concludes all costs associated with purchasing the car.
Purchase price, tax tittle and registration, insurance, and vehicle inspection.
​​​​​​To this point maintenance has consisted of a set of front tires. Wax and cleaning items.
The "F" level service is showing 7500 miles from now. I will get an oil and filter change with in 2 weeks once I figure out my price point for this first since I have had it oil change. I just want to know that there is good oil in it with out too much shop talk.
Old 09-06-2024, 06:40 PM

Today's 9/6/2024 progression finds Martha with NY State plates replacing the NJ temp plate expiration 9/19/ 2024 , and it's NY inspection sticker affixed to the windshield. All systems appear to be in order. That concludes all costs associated with purchasing the car.
Purchase price, tax tittle and registration, insurance, and vehicle inspection.
​​​​​​To this point maintenance has consisted of a set of front tires. Wax and cleaning items.
The "F" level service is showing 7500 miles from now. I will get an oil and filter change with in 2 weeks once I figure out my price point for this first since I have had it oil change. I just want to know that there is good oil in it with out too much shop talk.

Old 09-06-2024, 08:08 PM
EWT

Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Well, I’ll be…

I'd guess a sawzall for the exhaust usually accompanies the floorjack in most of the on street "repairs."
twcom (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by EWT
I'd guess a sawzall for the exhaust usually accompanies the floorjack in most of the on street "repairs."
Agggggghhhhh. What a nightmare thought.... 😨
Old 09-07-2024, 01:49 PM

Pleasant surprise today. While I was test fitting myself sitting in the rear seats of Martha the 2012 GL450, witch I found comfortable to but for the angle of the center arm rest/cup holder. I believe to slopes down in the front a bit to much. I will find some sort of solution for that over time. But I managed to feel one of the missing child safety hook covers wedged down in the seatbelt area. Great, and that took care of the second row seat front that all four hook covers are in place. Still missing one of 3 child safety seat hook covers in the back of the second row I then go on the third row for a test fit. I must say I would be quite comfortable back there with a center elbow rest. In thinking about were the found safety hook covers ended up, I used my phone flashlight and sure enough under the right side third row seat the two remaining safety hook covers were found. Now the second row rear of the seats have all three safety hook covers. And the third row front have all four of their safety hook covers. The interior can now be said to have been full intact when purchased.
Old 09-07-2024, 02:49 PM

When I picked up this 2012 GL450 just over 2 weeks ago it did not have an owners manual booklet. EBAY to rescue. So from Texas today I received a full Mercedes leather pouch with all Service manuals and maintenance booklets. A very nice addition for the glove box.
In reading the manual I quickly discovered that the Blind assist function of was working properly as designed.
I just did not like it and did turn it off and will leave it off.
I did install blind spot mirrors over the area where the little triangles would light up. I find this a much better option as I kept feeling like the blind assist triangle lights in the mirror was a left on signal light. Just didn't like it.
So another item off the initially thought flawed list when the car was purchased.
👍👍👍
Old 09-08-2024, 08:59 PM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
08 GL320 CDI
You call your GL "Martha"? lol that's cool. My wife calls her GL "Helga" 'cause she's a strong German girl would can haul almost anything!

Nice purchase. I really like how when driving the GL doesnt really feel like a large SUV. Until you have to park her.
twcom (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 12:19 AM

If Helga is like Martha, she will surely get out and get after it when you need her to. And once rolling she cost right along effortlessly put mile after mile in the rear view mirror. So easy to drive and great handling. Now I have found stopping Martha takes effort. That when I get reminded of her weight. Ohh she is a big girl so give her space. Well maybe you continue to enjoy Helga
​​​​
💪😊
Old 09-11-2024, 09:04 AM

As my daily driver US touring Smart Car dubbed "The Harlem Edition" has had Deer whistles on forever and never had a near miss in Harlem NYC 😆, or abroad..
I Happened to be in Walmart and scooped up a pair for Martha. As heavy as Martha is it would not be pretty for either at speed. This is not a testimony of deer whistle effectiveness I like the as a cars and coffee conversation piece also and the look great on the cars with right placement

I ordered another protection piece for Martha that may also look really good also. It is a hitch step that may cause New York City street parkers to honor a pit more space and not rub Martha's rear bumper.
It may match up well with the side running boards.
It surely will make me have to have a extra 3 inches of parking space lol..

Old 09-15-2024, 02:25 PM

With the Romik tow hitch step in place Martha may have a bit.more breathing room when parked. As for the step itself I really like the look as it blends very well with the stick running boards.

Last edited by twcom; 09-15-2024 at 03:16 PM.
01blackhawk (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,096 Likes on 883 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Is that so people hit the step rather than your bumper?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My life with a 122k 2012 GL450