W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed: What to Check on a 2018 E63s AMG with 3 Previous Owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e43, e63
Advice Needed: What to Check on a 2018 E63s AMG with 3 Previous Owners?

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to share that I'm getting a 2018 E63s AMG with 60k miles from Carvana! Currently, I own an E43 with 72k miles, and Carvana has offered me a $25k trade-in. My E43 is in mint condition.

I have a few concerns and would appreciate any advice on what I should check once the E63s is delivered. The car has had 3 owners:

- First owner: Drove 40k miles over 2.6 years. The car was leased from Mercedes-Benz and became a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) after 48,000 miles, sold as a CPO by a Benz dealer.

- Second owner: Had the car for 2 years and drove 11k miles.

- Third owner: Had it for just 3 months and drove only 3k miles, which is a bit concerning to me.

Unfortunately, dealerships in the Bay Area are reluctant to perform an inspection due to liability concerns.

Given this history, what specific things should I look for or check after the car is delivered? Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by amgonly56; Today at 05:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 695 Likes on 530 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...fixes-diy.html
The following users liked this post:
PeterUbers (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,982 Likes on 3,129 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Check to see if the rear main crankshaft oil seal has been replaced. Same for the oil-vapor separators. If neither have been done, this is a concern.

You are contemplating changing from the most reliable MB engine of the past 20 years (the M276 V6) for an engine with a known expensive problem.

If you buy this car, self insure for the RMS and OVS or buy a Fidelity warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
Highline-Autos.com (Today), PeterUbers (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 383 Likes on 254 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
If you're in San Jose the #1 independent shop is Mercedes Benz of Silicon Valley. I used to take my 2018 to Steven's Creek MB but after they purposefully f*d up the ride height sensors I haven't taken it back.

I think you'll have much better luck getting an inspection from MBofSV than from any dealer.
amgonly56 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
1993 300SL-24, 2009 CLK350, 2018 SLC43 AMG, 2018 AMG E63 S wagon
Go to your MB dealer and as for a copy of the VMI.

I think Autobahn Motors in Belmont is the best MB dealer service shop. I've been pleased with my work. I always wish it cost less, but a lot of peace of mind knowing it's done right. Ask for Joe Leung, who's been my service rep for a loooong time. A bit of a drive from SF. I think Johnnie Lam is the service mgr at MB of SF (aka, Daly City). He was service mgr at Autobahn and my service rep before he was promoted.

Or PM me. I just did a full fluids and filter change (except front diff). Everything but engine oil timed out. High-performance cars need very proactive service.
amgonly56 (Today)
Old Today, 04:55 PM

e43, e63
Originally Posted by TugboatBill
If you're in San Jose the #1 independent shop is Mercedes Benz of Silicon Valley. I used to take my 2018 to Steven's Creek MB but after they purposefully f*d up the ride height sensors I haven't taken it back.

I think you'll have much better luck getting an inspection from MBofSV than from any dealer.
I live in SF and the Dealer in SF has screwed me over many times especially with that ride hight issue. I ended up paying about 6K to replay a ride height sensor because they thought that the sensor was not the problem and fixed whole bunch of **** before finally changing that one sensor. I go to the benz dealer in San Jose now, they are much nicer. Maybe i'll check out Mercedes Benz of Silicon Valley. Do you have any experience with MB of SJ ?
Old Today, 05:02 PM

e43, e63
Originally Posted by SerottaD
Go to your MB dealer and as for a copy of the VMI.

I think Autobahn Motors in Belmont is the best MB dealer service shop. I've been pleased with my work. I always wish it cost less, but a lot of peace of mind knowing it's done right. Ask for Joe Leung, who's been my service rep for a loooong time. A bit of a drive from SF. I think Johnnie Lam is the service mgr at MB of SF (aka, Daly City). He was service mgr at Autobahn and my service rep before he was promoted.

Or PM me. I just did a full fluids and filter change (except front diff). Everything but engine oil timed out. High-performance cars need very proactive service.
MB of SF i think the manger is Adam Shapiro, a total lunatic and gready af. I am done with this dealer all together. Kept my car for 2 weeks for a ride height sensor + the cost $$ totaly unreasonable. When i bought the car under warrenty to fix some electrical issues they said they couden't reproduce the issue even after i showed it to my service manager. Cargred me for the same diagnosis the 3 times and on 3rd time they fixed it out of warrent. I filed a complaint with MB North America and dealer basically told me to Foff after that.
Old Today, 05:56 PM

e43, e63
Do you guys think taht CarvanCare PLUS Comprehensice Coverage warrenty would cover RMS Leak issue? here is the doc.

Old Today, 06:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,471 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by amgonly56
Do you guys think taht CarvanCare PLUS Comprehensice Coverage warrenty would cover RMS Leak issue? here is the doc.

the RMS is such a big deal including the OVS you should call the company and get it in writing
amgonly56 (Today)
Old Today, 06:27 PM

e43, e63
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
the RMS is such a big deal including the OVS you should call the company and get it in writing
Yea, will do. That is a good point. Thanks a lot.