GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Google Maps directions through Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 11:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300
Google Maps directions through Bluetooth

Has anyone had any success getting Google Maps directions to play through Bluetooth? This is a non Carplay stereo. If I'm playing music on my phone I get the directions through Bluetooth. With no music playing, the directions come out of my iPhone speaker. Apple Maps and Waze both work through Bluetooth when music isn't playing. I've gone into the settings of Google Maps and tried a bunch of different settings, and nothing seems to work.
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 185 Likes on 151 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by LenniePaz
Has anyone had any success getting Google Maps directions to play through Bluetooth? This is a non Carplay stereo. If I'm playing music on my phone I get the directions through Bluetooth. With no music playing, the directions come out of my iPhone speaker. Apple Maps and Waze both work through Bluetooth when music isn't playing. I've gone into the settings of Google Maps and tried a bunch of different settings, and nothing seems to work.
What media is selected?
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by DanD.
What media is selected?
Media? What do you mean?
Old Today, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 185 Likes on 151 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Media? What do you mean?
Bluetooth, Radio or Satellite Radio or ... ?
Old Today, 01:04 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by DanD.
Bluetooth, Radio or Satellite Radio or ... ?
Bluetooth. I'm trying to stream the directions over Bluetooth.
Old Today, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2019 C63CS
By default, you will only hear the turn-by-turn instructions over BT if you select BT as the audio source. That's why you only get them if you are also listening to music from your phone over BT. If you select another audio source such as FM etc., you won't hear the instructions over the car's speakers.

There's an alternative way to play the instructions over BT that you can configure in the Google Maps settings. If turned on, it will interrupt your current audio source and play the instructions as a phone call instead, using the handsfree BT profile, instead of the audio streaming profile. It doesn't sound as good and sometimes cuts off the beginning or end of the instructions due to the switching delays between the audio that's currently playing and the simulated phone call. However, this is the only way to get the turn-by-turn instructions to play over BT independent of your current audio source.

Old Today, 01:16 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by superswiss
By default, you will only hear the turn-by-turn instructions over BT if you select BT as the audio source. That's why you only get them if you are also listening to music from your phone over BT. If you select another audio source such as FM etc., you won't hear the instructions over the car's speakers.

There's an alternative way to play the instructions over BT that you can configure in the Google Maps settings. If turned on, it will interrupt your current audio source and play the instructions as a phone call instead, using the handsfree BT profile, instead of the audio streaming profile. It doesn't sound as good and sometimes cuts off the beginning or end of the instructions due to the switching delays between the audio that's currently playing and the simulated phone call. However, this is the only way to get the turn-by-turn instructions to play over BT independent of your current audio source.

So with that setting, I will only hear directions if I am playing music through Bluetooth? With Waze and Apple Maps, I hear the directions through Bluetooth without playing music.
Old Today, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
So with that setting, I will only hear directions if I am playing music through Bluetooth? With Waze and Apple Maps, I hear the directions through Bluetooth without playing music.
No, with that setting you will hear them all the time. Apple Maps has the same setting and it must be turned on if you get Apple Maps directions even if you are not listening to music. I don't use Waze anymore, but from what I remember it has this setting as well. You have to configure each app. There isn't a global setting that applies to all apps.
Old Today, 02:08 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by superswiss
No, with that setting you will hear them all the time. Apple Maps has the same setting and it must be turned on if you get Apple Maps directions even if you are not listening to music. I don't use Waze anymore, but from what I remember it has this setting as well. You have to configure each app. There isn't a global setting that applies to all apps.
Yeah, for some reason that setting in Google Maps isn't working. With that enabled, I get no directions unless music is playing through Bluetooth.
Old Today, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah, for some reason that setting in Google Maps isn't working. With that enabled, I get no directions unless music is playing through Bluetooth.
Yeah, I can't vouch for it. I never tried it with COMAND, and I haven't driven a car that doesn't have CarPlay in quite a while. I've successfully used it in prior cars, but they were not Mercedes.