GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 450 Towing Land Rover Disco

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 10:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Mercedes gl450
GL 450 Towing Land Rover Disco

I may be relocating soon and am considering towing my 2020 Land Rover Discovery 7 seater on a car trailer with my 2011 GL450.
The GL has the towing package. The Disco doesn't.
The trip could be anywhere from 400 to 1800 miles, depending on where I end up.

It will be mostly highway, but partly through desert and mountains.

The tow weight will be about 1000 pounds below the GL tow capacity.

Can anyone offer any experience or advice regarding similar tows? I have never towed anything with the GL before.
Old Today, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Scary at best.

I towed a 6K camper with my GL and it is not comfortable. The rear end wants to move around a lot on a count of the unibody and air suspension and if you get light in the front for any reason then he gets scary real fast.

I wouldn’t tow more than a 3K utility trailer with the GL based on my experience.

Last edited by Max Blast; Today at 11:44 AM.
Old Today, 12:18 PM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Scary at best.

I towed a 6K camper with my GL and it is not comfortable. The rear end wants to move around a lot on a count of the unibody and air suspension and if you get light in the front for any reason then he gets scary real fast.

I wouldn’t tow more than a 3K utility trailer with the GL based on my experience.
Thanks. I was a bit concerned about that. It just doesn't feel like a towing machine. I am hoping the relatively lower center of gravity versus towing an rv trailer would help.
Old Today, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
And the disco doesn’t have a hitch?

Drive one ship the other.
be surprised at how economical that can be vice investing in trailerage and associated equipment.
Old Today, 02:05 PM

Mercedes gl450
And the disco doesn’t have a hitch?

Drive one ship the other.
be surprised at how economical that can be vice investing in trailerage and associated equipment.
No, the Disco doesn't have a hitch and i don't want to deal with the hassle of a bolt-on one. But i think i would prefer a naturally aspirated V8 towing than a supercharged 6 anyway.

A U-Haul car trailer isn't very pricey to rent. But I'm also considering shipping one.
Old Today, 08:07 PM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
08 GL320 CDI
I tow my 23 foot trailer all the time with mine. The trailer is about 5,500 dry, about 6,000 or so when its filled up. I NEVER have any issues towing the trailer. That diesel engine has so much torque. I live in British Columbia. So in the mountains. I feel super comfortable towing a trailer. I've had two other SUVs that I used to tow this same trailer. My old Navigator blew a upper rad hose on one of the mountain passes, then it split the upper rad in half towing up a hill to my house. Garbage vehicle!

The air suspension is great, once I hook up, I hear the compressor then the GL levels its self out. Great feature for towing. Also the brake booster wires were already under the dash ready to go from the factory.
Old Today, 08:09 PM

08 GL320 CDI
The rear end wants to move around a lot...
That is the sign of a trailer that isn't loaded correctly. Move some weight around inside and get more near the front.

When I first got the GL I put all of our bikes on a rack on the back bumper of the trailer. The trailer waved back and forth so bad once I got past 100km/h (60mph). Stopped, pulled all the bikes off, put them inside as far forward as possible. Now it handles great. Now the trailer does what it's supposed to do, TRAILS behind you lol. Feels so stable. Even taken it down some back country lake roads, large rocks, tight trees, etc. No issues, she just putted along pulling the trailer.

Last edited by Sallad; Today at 08:15 PM.
Old Today, 08:30 PM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Sallad
I tow my 23 foot trailer all the time with mine. The trailer is about 5,500 dry, about 6,000 or so when its filled up. I NEVER have any issues towing the trailer. That diesel engine has so much torque. I live in British Columbia. So in the mountains. I feel super comfortable towing a trailer. I've had two other SUVs that I used to tow this same trailer. My old Navigator blew a upper rad hose on one of the mountain passes, then it split the upper rad in half towing up a hill to my house. Garbage vehicle!

The air suspension is great, once I hook up, I hear the compressor then the GL levels its self out. Great feature for towing. Also the brake booster wires were already under the dash ready to go from the factory.
Thanks for the info. The weight will be about the same. That diesel is probably a lot better at pulling than my gas v8. But I'm sure mine still has enough power.
Old Today, 08:55 PM

08 GL320 CDI
Maybe not any "better" at towing than yours, but for sure I will be getting better MPGs while I'm towing haha
The following users liked this post:
Elbeau (Today)