GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

2025 AMG GLE 53 opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2024 | 12:31 PM

2020 GLS
2025 AMG GLE 53 opinions wanted

Currently driving a 2020 GLS with E-ABC and most other options. Great car - comfortable ride.

Looking to move to a GLE to improve home garage parking and driving around town.
The 2025 AMG GLE 53 interests me because of its external and internal appearance options, attention to detail, V6, active ride control and 20" wheels to retain ride comfort, and the dealer configuration tool matched my GLS with every option except E-ABC (which isn't widely available anymore on any model). The Mercedes online build tool is lacking in completeness.

Wanting it to be a daily comfortable riding SUV (in comfort mode) that is nicely "decked" out. Test drove a 2025 53 with 21" wheels but without active ride control and the ride seemed satisfactory on semi-rough roads (not as smooth as the GLS with E-ABC and 19" wheels, but close).

Asking current owners, are my expectations and assumptions reasonable?

Any opinions on the initial muffler "growl" that briefly accompanies a cold startup for a few seconds? I heard it is to speed up the effectiveness of the pollution control devices.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2024 | 10:12 AM

2024 GLE 53 SUV
Originally Posted by doug1220
Currently driving a 2020 GLS with E-ABC and most other options. Great car - comfortable ride.

Looking to move to a GLE to improve home garage parking and driving around town.
The 2025 AMG GLE 53 interests me because of its external and internal appearance options, attention to detail, V6, active ride control and 20" wheels to retain ride comfort, and the dealer configuration tool matched my GLS with every option except E-ABC (which isn't widely available anymore on any model). The Mercedes online build tool is lacking in completeness.

Wanting it to be a daily comfortable riding SUV (in comfort mode) that is nicely "decked" out. Test drove a 2025 53 with 21" wheels but without active ride control and the ride seemed satisfactory on semi-rough roads (not as smooth as the GLS with E-ABC and 19" wheels, but close).

Asking current owners, are my expectations and assumptions reasonable?

Any opinions on the initial muffler "growl" that briefly accompanies a cold startup for a few seconds? I heard it is to speed up the effectiveness of the pollution control devices.

Thanks
"Cold Growl" is loud. Is part of AMG experience or on most high performance engines including Cayenne S.
A good trick I found is that the cold growl will stop immediately if you put it in gear (reverse or drive).
Coming from a GLS you will be very pleased. I do recommend the acoustic package if you want whisper quiet ride. The air suspension is smooth and provides best cornering I've ever witnessed in a mid size SUV. It is a heavy truck, but acceleration in very quick and linear. If you like immediate acceleration I set the "I" mode to have Pro Dynamics. It will take a month or two to understand and get the feel for all the driving configurations, but once you do it becomes just a matter of muscle memory to quickly switch from default Comfort mode to what you want.
it is a fantastic car and the inline 6 is butter smooth. Is my first non-V8 and am happy to get rid of a V8's vibrations and rumbles. The mild hybrid electric motor is like magic. Read about it

Last edited by RMiles; 09-12-2024 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2024 | 10:29 AM

2024 AMG GLE53
I have a '24 with 21" wheels as I wanted more replacement tire options than going with the 22's. I got the "acoustic" package to help reduce road noise, etc. I think it's perfect. I live in a rural area and the roads can certainly be quite rough in areas, including plenty of dirt roads. It handles itself quite well. No ARC when mine was being built

Prior to choosing the '53 I was looking to build a GLE450. But by the time I optioned it, it was nearly the price of a '53. Glad I did, it's much more fun.
Old 09-12-2024 | 11:01 AM

2020 GLS
Originally Posted by RMiles
"Cold Growl" is loud. Is part of AMG experience or on most high performance engines including Cayenne S.
A good trick I found is that the cold growl will stop immediately if you put it in gear (reverse or drive).
Coming from a GLS you will be very pleased. I do recommend the acoustic package if you want whisper quiet ride. The air suspension is smooth and provides best cornering I've ever witnessed in a mid size SUV. It is a heavy truck, but acceleration in very quick and linear. If you like immediate acceleration I set the "I" mode to have Pro Dynamics. It will take a month or two to understand and get the feel for all the driving configurations, but once you do it becomes just a matter of muscle memory to quickly switch from default Comfort mode to what you want.
it is a fantastic car and the inline 6 is butter smooth. Is my first non-V8 and am happy to get rid of a V8's vibrations and rumbles. The mild hybrid electric motor is like magic. Read about it
Thanks for your comments - very helpful. When I was driving to look at the car and take it for a test drive for the first time, I was skeptical it would meet my expatiations and had prepared myself to be disappointed and back to a new search, but I was floored by how great the whole design is. This is my third Benz so I could look past the basics and focus on the novel details. I was greatly impressed and wanted to make sure from other users I wasn't missing something.
Old 09-12-2024 | 01:55 PM

2024 GLE 53 SUV
Originally Posted by doug1220
Thanks for your comments - very helpful. When I was driving to look at the car and take it for a test drive for the first time, I was skeptical it would meet my expatiations and had prepared myself to be disappointed and back to a new search, but I was floored by how great the whole design is. This is my third Benz so I could look past the basics and focus on the novel details. I was greatly impressed and wanted to make sure from other users I wasn't missing something.
. my pleasure. I have no downside comments to make about my 2024 GLE 53 AMG SUV though she's only 5000 miles old. The AMG upgrade and price has more to do with overall engineering as you mentioned and not so much about fun options except maybe for the AMG steering wheel. I would stick with 21" wheels for a lot of reasons.
Old 09-18-2024 | 02:20 PM

I agree with everything you said. I was lucky and found mine on a locate. The located car had been at the dealer less than a day. I have the acoustic package as well as pinnacle and pretty much every option and 20" wheels. The ride is super smooth in comfort mode, even in sport. I love this car and coming from decades of BMW's I will say this car is a cut above. It's not as fast as an X5m6.0, but it's more comfortable with more luxury appointments. And the MBUX system is incredible.
Old 09-18-2024 | 02:38 PM

2024 GLE 53 SUV
Originally Posted by Buddy110
I agree with everything you said. I was lucky and found mine on a locate. The located car had been at the dealer less than a day. I have the acoustic package as well as pinnacle and pretty much every option and 20" wheels. The ride is super smooth in comfort mode, even in sport. I love this car and coming from decades of BMW's I will say this car is a cut above. It's not as fast as an X5m6.0, but it's more comfortable with more luxury appointments. And the MBUX system is incredible.
I couldn't get the acoustic package but is the only one thing missing that I wanted. Agree, I never liked the ride and feel of BMW's. What's a "located car?"
Old 09-18-2024 | 03:41 PM

I couldn't get the acoustic package but is the only one thing missing that I wanted. Agree, I never liked the ride and feel of BMW's. What's a "located car?"
A dealer does a dealer to dealer search for a particular car. This car came up in Ga and I bought it sight unseen. Shipped to NY a week later.