EQS EQS (V297) sedan

What should MB do with returned end-of-lease EQS cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2024, 08:26 AM

Received 268 Likes on 160 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
What should MB do with returned end-of-lease EQS cars?

It's unlikely that many early adopters will purchase EQS cars at the end of their 2-yr and 3-year leases. The depressed market value of the lease returns will probably fill dealer lots with low mileage cars that will be an attractive alternative to new EQS vehicles. Mercedes may be forced to limit production of new vehicles.

It occurs to me that the lease returns can be repurposed as loaner cars for MB service departments. Doing this would reduce the number of low value cars competing against new car inventory. Getting an EQS loaner would WOW service customers accustomed to getting C-Class or GLB loaners while their cars are in the shop. Nothing is more unpleasant than getting a GLB as a loaner when your S-Class is in for service. And for C-Class owners, a high end loaner car could be a good chance to experience a quality interior. The average mileage on a one or two-day loaner is likely to be less than the comfortable range of an EQS so owners would not need a charger at home.

MB dealers would benefit from low maintenance and low "refueling" costs for a fleet of loaner EQS cars. Using the EQS cars as loaners would give customers the impression that Mercedes believed in its own EVs.
Old 09-13-2024, 09:54 AM

Received 385 Likes on 266 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
This process will also help Mercedes find the right pricing for these vehicles. One could imagine that buying 60k dollar eqs is very attractive. They have already seen that ev’s are not considered to the same tier of luxury to their historical ICE model buyers. Fortunately most car companies have seen the failure of ev’s when the incentives are removed and the real number crunching happens. How many cars can they sell at a loss before the marginal cost to produce equals the selling price. In the current economy with current demand, the answer is “not enough”. Not all manufactures were built with tax dollars like Tesla, which we still see moving down the slippery slope towards sales, liquidation and lower consumer buy-in. I could never imagine buying a 70k dollar Hyundai N or Tesla 3 dual motor over a slightly used AMG ICE Monster.

Last edited by Baltistyle; 09-13-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2024, 10:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,308 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Baltistyle
This process will also help Mercedes find the right pricing for these vehicles. One could imagine that buying 60k dollar eqs is very attractive. They have already seen that ev’s are not considered to the same tier of luxury to their historical ICE model buyers. Fortunately most car companies have seen the failure of ev’s when the incentives are removed and the real number crunching happens. How many cars can they sell at a loss before the marginal cost to produce equals the selling price. In the current economy with current demand, the answer is “not enough”. Not all manufactures were built with tax dollars like Tesla, which we still see moving down the slippery slope towards sales, liquidation and lower consumer buy-in. I could never imagine buying a 70k dollar Hyundai N or Tesla 3 dual motor over a slightly used AMG ICE Monster.
Attractive indeed, a forum member sold one for exactly 60K https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/89773...ed-eqs580.html
Old 09-13-2024, 10:46 AM

Received 385 Likes on 266 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Attractive indeed, a forum member sold one for exactly 60K https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/89773...ed-eqs580.html
Haha Yes, that is why I used that number, I was the one that had commented early in the thread that they were asking the wrong price knowing that Carmax only offered 60 grand. You bought it at the right price! The market speaks. Enjoy it!
Old 09-13-2024, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Baltistyle
Haha Yes, that is why I used that number, I was the one that had commented early in the thread that they were asking the wrong price knowing that Carmax only offered 60 grand. You bought it at the right price! The market speaks. Enjoy it!
I wish I bought it (I live in Canada), OP said was sold to a non forum member.
Old 09-13-2024, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,822 Posts
2024 S580
Personally I don't want an EV loaner car. If I had an EV and I had level 2 charging at home that would be great, but I don't and because of that an EV loaner doesn't work for me. I have been offered them before and declined
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

Received 462 Likes on 290 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by SW20S
Personally I don't want an EV loaner car. If I had an EV and I had level 2 charging at home that would be great, but I don't and because of that an EV loaner doesn't work for me. I have been offered them before and declined
I find this interesting. My perspective, FWIW, is that an EV loaner is fantastic. It is unlikely that one would drive the loaner farther than the 250-300 miles needed to necessitate a recharge. And if you did, it would cost you 15 minutes, and about $15. Whereas, an ICE driven the same mileage would cost you 5 minutes, and about $45-50. You always have to top off the ICE, but not the EV. The controls and driving experience are very similar. My wife has a GLC300 and the controls and software are almost identical to my EQS (we both have AMG line interiors). So I would be very interested in why you feel this way.
The following 3 users liked this post by hlothery:
LastOne (Yesterday), LAZARU5 (Yesterday), MBNUT1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by hlothery
I find this interesting. My perspective, FWIW, is that an EV loaner is fantastic. It is unlikely that one would drive the loaner farther than the 250-300 miles needed to necessitate a recharge. And if you did, it would cost you 15 minutes, and about $15. Whereas, an ICE driven the same mileage would cost you 5 minutes, and about $45-50. You always have to top off the ICE, but not the EV. The controls and driving experience are very similar. My wife has a GLC300 and the controls and software are almost identical to my EQS (we both have AMG line interiors). So I would be very interested in why you feel this way.
Depends on how long you have the loaner for. In my experience MB dealers take a LONG time to repair cars. When I have a loaner, I usually have it a week. I just don’t want to deal with having to charge it, and you assume it would even be given to me fully charged…

If I had an EV and a charger then sure.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 836 Likes on 534 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
It was $63k in the end. There was a bit of a bidding war.
The following 2 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (Today), Drone_S213 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Still a good price, your vehicle was probably in a better condition and better optioned than most of the inventory out there that asks for a higher price.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Good for you! Glad it worked out okay.
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 836 Likes on 534 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Still a good price, your vehicle was probably in a better condition and better optioned than most of the inventory out there that asks for a higher price.
I may be biased but I approached this like a buyer and scanned all the inventory. I do think my car was the best 2022 580 on the market. Both because of the options, and finishes, but also the condition. Remember my one has never been parked outside for more than a couple of hours at a time because I took delivery the very day it arrived at the dealer from the factory, and it has always been garaged since. Even at work I park indoors. I have rarely supercharged it but mainly had it charged at home on eco charging to preserve the battery. And I use recuperative braking so according to the PPI the brake pads were nearly at 100%.

There were moderately equipped cars at CPO for around $65k but if you wanted something that is truly luxurious (e.g. Manufaktur Interior with Nappa leather on dash, center console and doors instead of the neoprene material; diamond quilting, alcantara headliner) and has the special order options that aren't part of the Pinnacle package like HEPA Filtration, Augmented Reality HUD, illuminated seat buckles, Double-pane laminated windows, etc.) the this was pretty much the only car on the market. The people who complain the EQS interior isn't like an S-Class don't have it optioned the way I did. The interior alone was a $7500 upgrade when you combine the $1500 walnut trim, the $1600 headliner and the $4500 extended Nappa leather interior. The car was a steal at $63k compared with the alternatives.
The following 2 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (Today), Drone_S213 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

I may be biased but I approached this like a buyer and scanned all the inventory. I do think my car was the best 2022 580 on the market. Both because of the options, and finishes, but also the condition. Remember my one has never been parked outside for more than a couple of hours at a time because I took delivery the very day it arrived at the dealer from the factory, and it has always been garaged since. Even at work I park indoors. I have rarely supercharged it but mainly had it charged at home on eco charging to preserve the battery. And I use recuperative braking so according to the PPI the brake pads were nearly at 100%.

There were moderately equipped cars at CPO for around $65k but if you wanted something that is truly luxurious (e.g. Manufaktur Interior with Nappa leather on dash, center console and doors instead of the neoprene material; diamond quilting, alcantara headliner) and has the special order options that aren't part of the Pinnacle package like HEPA Filtration, Augmented Reality HUD, illuminated seat buckles, Double-pane laminated windows, etc.) the this was pretty much the only car on the market. The people who complain the EQS interior isn't like an S-Class don't have it optioned the way I did. The interior alone was a $7500 upgrade when you combine the $1500 walnut trim, the $1600 headliner and the $4500 extended Nappa leather interior. The car was a steal at $63k compared with the alternatives.
Yup, yours is the better example out there.
​​​​​​​