Sport And Sport+?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2024, 12:33 PM
TSA

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
S580 MAYBACH Z223
Sport And Sport+?

Hi there everyone , i got a little question to ask to the s580 users.

is there any difference between the sport and sport+ ? my car does not have the sport+ so i dont know the difference. I would be happy to know.
Old 09-14-2024, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 758 Likes on 490 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by TSA

is there any difference between the sport and sport+ ? my car does not have the sport+ so i dont know the difference. I would be happy to know.
I got that on my GLS coded at the same time I got Slippery/Snow mode coded a few days ago.

I tried Sport+ and what it did is a more aggressive engine and transmission behavior than Sport mode. It was noticeably more aggressive that I felt it is only suitable when you want to race or consistently keep taking over other cars on a busy road/highway/etc. Summary: it works very wellbut not something that you can keep on 100% of the time like some people do with Sport mode.

@EleBest coded mine. He might have more info about W223 Sport+ if it’s different from the GLS.

Last edited by S_W222; 09-14-2024 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2024, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,824 Posts
2024 S580
Sport+ further firms up the suspension
Old Today, 10:29 AM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
997.2TTS
Originally Posted by SW20S
Sport+ further firms up the suspension
yup...it actually lowers the suspension 1 inch.
Old Today, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn
yup...it actually lowers the suspension 1 inch.
Regular sport is also 1" lower; are you saying that Sport+ is an additional inch lower for a total of 2"? I doubt it. I think mostly the difference between Sport and Sport+ from what I have noticed after coding is that the transmission and engine are truly truly in a crazy sport mode....always ready.
Old Today, 03:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 S580 Exec., 2017 E43 P3
Originally Posted by TSA

When my car is not in the repair bay, I drive the car exclusively in S+ mode. I find that it gives my the most acceptable throttle response, as well as being the only mode that has comfortable downshifts (as crazy as that sounds.) The 3-2 downshift is just dreadful in this car and S+ smooths it a touch more than comfort mode. My car is in the shop now with the transmission being looked at yet again. This time they are pointing at the torque converter as the culprit for the rough shifts.
Old Today, 03:21 PM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
997.2TTS
i believe the 1" drop is only in is S+, not S.
Old Today, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,637 Posts
2019 C63CS
In non-AMG models, the difference between Sport and Sport+ is rather minimal if there's a material difference at all. Some of it is placebo. In some of the latest non-AMG models there's practically no difference. For example in the W206 C Class, the only difference between Sport and Sport+ is the amount of artificial engine sound piped in through the speakers. Everything else stays the same. The engine and transmission don't actually have different maps for Sport and Sport+. However, the regular C Class doesn't have an adaptive suspension, so models with adaptive suspensions generally have three modes for the suspension, so there's a difference in the suspension between Sport and Sport+. Best way to see what actually changes between Sport and Sport+ in a specific model is to look at the individual mode and see what all the possible settings are for each subsystem. By default it also briefly shows in the central display what the individual settings are for each subsystem every time you change the drive mode, that also shows you what actually changes between the modes. Mercedes has clearly dumbed down the modes in the more recent regular models. Only AMG models have truly distinct drive modes.
Old Today, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
In non-AMG models, the difference between Sport and Sport+ is rather minimal if there's a material difference at all. Some of it is placebo. In some of the latest non-AMG models there's practically no difference. For example in the W206 C Class, the only difference between Sport and Sport+ is the amount of artificial engine sound piped in through the speakers. Everything else stays the same. The engine and transmission don't actually have different maps for Sport and Sport+. However, the regular C Class doesn't have an adaptive suspension, so models with adaptive suspensions generally have three modes for the suspension, so there's a difference in the suspension between Sport and Sport+. Best way to see what actually changes between Sport and Sport+ in a specific model is to look at the individual mode and see what all the possible settings are for each subsystem. By default it also briefly shows in the central display what the individual settings are for each subsystem every time you change the drive mode, that also shows you what actually changes between the modes. Mercedes has clearly dumbed down the modes in the more recent regular models. Only AMG models have truly distinct drive modes.
I disagree if we are generalizing this approach to all models. In my 22' GLS (Non-AMG), the Sport mode vs Sport+ are VERY VERY VERY different from each other. The difference throttle, engine RPM and shifting is EASILY noticeable.
Old Today, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,637 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by S_W222
I disagree if we are generalizing this approach to all models. In my 22' GLS (Non-AMG), the Sport mode vs Sport+ are VERY VERY VERY different from each other. The difference throttle, engine RPM and shifting is EASILY noticeable.
As I said, it will vary between models to what degree it differs, but as an AMG driver I can tell you once you've driven an AMG, the differences between the modes in regular models feel very minimal. Yes, there's a difference. For me it's Comfort mode in regular models is virtually undrivable and Sport/Sport+ drives normal. Not sporty, just normal. The thing is that Comfort mode in the regular models these days has become a de-facto eco mode to produce good numbers on paper during the WLTP and EPA cycles.