HUD Display During Navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 613 Likes on 418 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
HUD Display During Navigation

The latest update to my vehicle (AMG EQEX4) seems to have added some information to my HUD while route navigation is in use. The following has been changed:

1. The name of the road I'm on and the direction of travel are now displayed. This is in addition to the route display.
2. A vertical line in orange/yellow on the extreme left when nearing the destination. The orientation of the line is not static.

I've looked in the current manual to see what the line means, but there is no mention of its' function. Perhaps it's just an alert that I'm getting close?

Any thoughts on the line? Thanks
Old 09-15-2024, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 842 Likes on 537 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by HBerman
The latest update to my vehicle (AMG EQEX4) seems to have added some information to my HUD while route navigation is in use. The following has been changed:

1. The name of the road I'm on and the direction of travel are now displayed. This is in addition to the route display.
2. A vertical line in orange/yellow on the extreme left when nearing the destination. The orientation of the line is not static.

I've looked in the current manual to see what the line means, but there is no mention of its' function. Perhaps it's just an alert that I'm getting close?

Any thoughts on the line? Thanks
Haven't seen this but will try it out. When was this update rolled out?

BTW I have been pretty impressed with the auto lane change on Drivepilot. My 2022 EQS didnt have that and required manual signaling to trigger a lane change. I do wish this car had the Augmented Reality HUD though. That would be amazing. The AR HUD shows on the windshield what the car is doing. It places a dot under the main car it is following (which is useful because it means you can tell when it switches car or stops following a car if the car in front exits, or someone enters the lane. It also shows on the windshield arrows for lane changes overlaid on the road itself so you can see what it is going to do. The AR HUD does more than just navigation.
Old 09-15-2024, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Haven't seen this but will try it out. When was this update rolled out?

BTW I have been pretty impressed with the auto lane change on Drivepilot. My 2022 EQS didnt have that and required manual signaling to trigger a lane change. I do wish this car had the Augmented Reality HUD though. That would be amazing. The AR HUD shows on the windshield what the car is doing. It places a dot under the main car it is following (which is useful because it means you can tell when it switches car or stops following a car if the car in front exits, or someone enters the lane. It also shows on the windshield arrows for lane changes overlaid on the road itself so you can see what it is going to do. The AR HUD does more than just navigation.
I noticed the update yesterday when I started the car. The version is now RL_NTG7_E330.602_23063AC3. All sorts of new interface updates which I'm still discovering. One new item is that you can graphically and acoustically change the audio personal profile under the Media selection. Maybe I just never saw this before, but the ease of changing the profile is awesome.
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I noticed the update yesterday when I started the car. The version is now RL_NTG7_E330.602_23063AC3. All sorts of new interface updates which I'm still discovering. One new item is that you can graphically and acoustically change the audio personal profile under the Media selection. Maybe I just never saw this before, but the ease of changing the profile is awesome.
I have a different version

RL_NTG7_E504.304_24133AC3

Last edited by stealth.pilot; Yesterday at 01:25 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have a different version

RL_NTG7_E504.304_24133AC3
Ah! I believe that's the latest reported. Have you tried the HUD during navigation to see if you can see the item that I described? Thanks

Last edited by HBerman; Yesterday at 05:21 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

Received 241 Likes on 169 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Maybe it's an indicator that tells you how far until the next turn?
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bytemaster0
Maybe it's an indicator that tells you how far until the next turn?
There are no labels or markings when it appears, but it does change orientation when I move the wheel. I'm clueless as to its' meaning. Maybe the next update will clarify. Tnx
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Ah! I believe that's the latested reported. Have you tried the HUD during navigation to see if you can see the item that I described? Thanks
I will have a look when I go to pick up my son from school.
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will have a look when I go to pick up my son from school.
Thanks. I wish the manual would describe what I'm seeing.
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
TBH I don't know what you are seeing. I used the navigation several times today, but nothing resembled what you are describing in the HUD. If you can take a photo next time.

One thing I discovered today which was interesting. I was able to use the DrivePilot on a back road today. Until today I thought it only worked on divided highways.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

One thing I discovered today which was interesting. I was able to use the DrivePilot on a back road today. Until today I thought it only worked on divided highways.
It works on any marked road. One line or two. Keep in mind, our system is not called Drive Pilot (it once was years ago in marketing materials.) Now, it refers only to the system on a handful of S-class and EQS cars in a small number of states and Germany. That system only works below 40MPH and on highways. It requires a LiDAR module. I suspect it'll be on E-class/EQE variants after next year.
Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
It works on any marked road. One line or two. Keep in mind, our system is not called Drive Pilot (it once was years ago in marketing materials.) Now, it refers only to the system on a handful of S-class and EQS cars in a small number of states and Germany. That system only works below 40MPH and on highways. It requires a LiDAR module. I suspect it'll be on E-class/EQE variants after next year.
That's right they repurposed the drivePilot brand for the Level 2 autonomous system. My understanding is both the Level 2 system (ours) and the Level 3 system (the DrivePilot) have the same sensors but the L3 exclusively has the 2 Lidar units in the front grill, whereas our cars have only the long-range radar and the 4X multi-mode radar. BTW Tesla just has cameras so even then the EQS sensor suite is pretty good.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM

That's right they repurposed the drivePilot brand for the Level 2 autonomous system. My understanding is both the Level 2 system (ours) and the Level 3 system (the DrivePilot) have the same sensors but the L3 exclusively has the 2 Lidar units in the front grill, whereas our cars have only the long-range radar and the 4X multi-mode radar. BTW Tesla just has cameras so even then the EQS sensor suite is pretty good.
Right. The solid-state LiDAR units are the big difference, plus some higher-resolution cameras in the front, one in the rear, and mics and misc sensors. We do have the same long-range RADAR units in front. There used to be one that was rear-facing as well (in addition to the multi-mode units), they were in 2013+ E-class cars. Not sure if they removed those in current-gen cars.

Just brought my '23 EQE sedan in today for the free 20k service. All easy-peasy until I was about to drive away and "Active Blind Spot Assist Inoperative" came up. This has happened twice on our EQE SUV, and it always clears the next day. However, as I was at the dealer, I just asked them to hook it up and see if it'd clear on the SDS. They did so, and while the ADAS warning cleared, the car then started throwing high-voltage system errors, apparently. So, they've re-flashed the drivetrain control units, and it seemed fine again. They're holding it and checking once more tomorrow, and hopefully it'll be good to go again. Hopefully it had some newer software available for BMS and drivetrain control.
Old Today, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I figured out what you are seeing. It is the lane departure warning. I had this on my EQS580 445 AR HUD. On the AR HUD it puts a yellow or red line on the windshield to highlight the edge of the lane if you get to close to it or touch it. I didn't realize the 444 HUD on our EQE cars had that feature. I would like to turn that feature on if it is available. It must be buried in the settings somewhere that you can add driver's assistance warnings to the HUD.
Old Today, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I figured out what you are seeing. It is the lane departure warning. I had this on my EQS580 445 AR HUD. On the AR HUD it puts a yellow or red line on the windshield to highlight the edge of the lane if you get to close to it or touch it. I didn't realize the 444 HUD on our EQE cars had that feature. I would like to turn that feature on if it is available. It must be buried in the settings somewhere that you can add driver's assistance warnings to the HUD.
Nope! A lane departure indication on the driver's display shows the left and right lane boundaries with a car in the center. The yellow "bar" only shows up in the HUD when the navigation is enabled only to my "home" destination. When I turn into my community the bar disappears so there is a relationship. I'll fool around trying to find what the trigger setting enables that display. It might have something to do with the fact that the "home" charging program is set to automatically be set when I pull into my garage. I tried other destinations in the navigation and all arrivals were without the yellow bar!

Last edited by HBerman; Today at 05:09 PM.