C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car Smelling Like Fuel – Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2024 | 02:10 PM

C200
Car Smelling Like Fuel – Any Ideas?

Hey everyone, I’ve been having an issue with my car lately and hoping someone here has some insight.

I’ve noticed a smell of fuel, but it’s only coming from outside the car, specifically around the passenger side and the fuel tank area. Inside the car and under the hood, there’s no smell at all.

To add to that, I’ve also noticed that my fuel consumption has gone up recently. I’m not sure if the two are connected, but it’s been pretty consistent.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Anyone experienced something similar?

I have C200 Kompressor 2009 W204 model

Last edited by VIINAR; 09-18-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2024 | 02:17 PM

E320
I've encountered similar issues before, and a fuel smell emanating from the passenger side near the fuel tank often points to a few potential culprits. It could be a leaking fuel line, a faulty fuel tank vent, or even a compromised fuel injector seal that's allowing vapors to escape. Additionally, rust or cracks in the fuel tank itself can cause leaks, and issues with the fuel pump might also contribute to both the smell and the increased fuel consumption you're experiencing.
Old 09-18-2024 | 05:52 PM

2011 GLK 350 4Matic
The W204 is pretty much identical to the X204 (GLK class SUV) and I just went through this. Your symptoms are identical to mine. The good news is that it takes just a few minutes to find out for sure (watch the first couple minutes of the video below)...

The thing is, if its what I'm pretty much certain it is, it'll only happen after a fill-up or with over 3/4 a tank of gas. It's a very, very (!!!) common problem. I did a video that should be 99% applicable to your vehicle...
Old 09-18-2024 | 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I would scan the car to see if there are any faults that could lead you in the right direction.
Old 09-18-2024 | 07:47 PM

2011 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by TimC300
I would scan the car to see if there are any faults that could lead you in the right direction.
I'd expect that if the problem was related to the evaporative system, you might get a code that would help. But most of the fuel leak issues (like the one I had) wouldn't trigger an OBD code.
Old 09-18-2024 | 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
Thats what I was thinking, maybe evap related. I scan the car for fun just to try and catch an issue early if I can. I get some random codes once in awhile, so its good to know which I can erase and ignore. Example I keep getting a wiper motor fault but the wipers work fine. If I get any codes I take a photo and save it for future reference.

I would pull the back seat, worth a look to see if any gas in coming out. Also keep an eye out on the ground for any signs of gas leaking, maybe throw a big piece of cardboard down in the driveway to check after filling up. I have a gravel parking area so its hard to tell.
Old 09-19-2024 | 01:05 AM

C200
Thank you all for the helpful replies!

I’ve already booked an appointment with a mechanic to get this checked out and hopefully pinpoint the issue. I also watched the video you shared, and it does seem like I could be dealing with a similar problem as yours. I ran a scan with my OBD scanner, but no fault codes popped up, so I’m still not sure what’s going on.

I’ll keep everyone updated once I hear back from the mechanic—fingers crossed it’s nothing too major! Thanks again for the insights.
Old 10-08-2024 | 07:05 AM

C200
Originally Posted by VIINAR
Thank you all for the helpful replies!

I’ve already booked an appointment with a mechanic to get this checked out and hopefully pinpoint the issue. I also watched the video you shared, and it does seem like I could be dealing with a similar problem as yours. I ran a scan with my OBD scanner, but no fault codes popped up, so I’m still not sure what’s going on.

I’ll keep everyone updated once I hear back from the mechanic—fingers crossed it’s nothing too major! Thanks again for the insights.
Hey everyone, quick update!

I took the car to the mechanic, and luckily it turned out to be a simple fix. It was just a small worn-out rubber part that was causing the issue. After they replaced it, the fuel smell disappeared, and my fuel consumption went back to normal as well.

Appreciate all the advice and help—glad it wasn’t anything too serious!
Old 10-08-2024 | 03:29 PM

C200 w204
Don't suppose you could enlighten us as to WHICH small worn out rubber part it was, so that the rest of us could check it if we come across the same issue in the future.
The following users liked this post:
BlackML550 (10-11-2024)
Old 10-09-2024 | 07:57 AM

C200
Originally Posted by bazzbazz
Don't suppose you could enlighten us as to WHICH small worn out rubber part it was, so that the rest of us could check it if we come across the same issue in the future.
It was a rubber part connected to the fuel line that had worn out. I’ve attached a picture for reference in case anyone else runs into the same issue. Hopefully, this helps!