S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S-550 Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2024, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S-550 Windshield Replacement

A rock broke mine (2015). Are you guys replacing with OEM windshields or aftermarket. Doubt insurance will agree to the OEM replacement.

Don
Old 09-26-2024, 08:22 AM

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
I was surprised last year when I had mine replaced an insurance covered the OEM. It was $2800 on the invoice, paid @ 100%!

** I do NOT go through Safelite after a couple of bad experiences with them, even though that's who my insurance defaults to. There's an option to use my own vendor, so years ago I asked the dealer who they use and they gave me their name.

Last edited by dlafever; 09-26-2024 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2024, 11:43 AM
Veteran: Navy

Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts
Various
Don't be scared of Safelite, they did one for me and it was fine. Lots of threads here on windshields. Try and go OEM, my insurance covered it after a call to them.

Last edited by NbyNW; Yesterday at 05:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-26-2024, 01:12 PM

Received 311 Likes on 219 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
My car is at the dealer right now havign the windshield installed. I only wanted OEM, insurance paying and $0 deductible on the claim, so no out of pocket expense for me. See who your local MB dealer recommends for windshield replacement. They might work together like in my case, delaer does calibration after auto glass company replaces windshield, all in one day, all covered by the claim. I got the idea from one of the members here who posted about doing it this way.
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for everyone's response. My car is going to the MBZ dealer for an OEM glass and all calibrations. Not sure yet that insurance will cover it all, but they said to pay the MBZ dealer up front and then send the bill to them for reimbursement. I'm taking a chance that they will cover everything. The insurance company did not say otherwise.

I just think it is a good idea to have all the work done by the same shop. That way....if anything goes wrong I do not have to "guess" who might be responsible for the correction. So far.........so good. Looks like the car will go into the shop as soon as the windshield arrives (next week).
Old Today, 08:43 AM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Your insurance will pay for OEM but you have to be firm with them that you will only accept OEM. I had to replace the windshield for a 2018 S560 2 years ago with Allstate Insurance. Initially, they told me my only option was Safelite. My S560 had night vision, a front-facing camera, Distronic, and several other options. Long story short, Safelite kept trying to get me to take their standard S-class windshield. There are 9+ different windshields for the S Class (depending on your options). Final cast for OEM glass installed by my MB dealer was $4,800. Allstate was not happy but they paid in full. It took 6 weeks to get the job done.
Old Today, 11:20 AM

Received 167 Likes on 138 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Originally Posted by atazman
Thanks for everyone's response. My car is going to the MBZ dealer for an OEM glass and all calibrations. Not sure yet that insurance will cover it all, but they said to pay the MBZ dealer up front and then send the bill to them for reimbursement. I'm taking a chance that they will cover everything. The insurance company did not say otherwise.

I just think it is a good idea to have all the work done by the same shop. That way....if anything goes wrong I do not have to "guess" who might be responsible for the correction. So far.........so good. Looks like the car will go into the shop as soon as the windshield arrives (next week).
What insurance do you have ? It doesn't usually go this way, the insurance, at least mine, Amica, is directly dealing with the dealer for payments.