S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

I’m thinking maybe, maybe not . . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2024, 11:18 PM

Location: Bucks County PA not far from the Delaware River North & East of Philly by an hour.
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
‘68 Pontiac convertible, ‘71 Corvette 4 spd, ‘20 Accord Touring, 06 Duramax crew-c
I’m thinking maybe, maybe not . . . .

I found this S560 4matic last week, I have 7 days to return this to CarMax if I’m not happy with it. It’s the most loaded S560 4matic I can find across this country with only 4 options missing. The carfax, Experian and VMI is sketchy for maintenance history. It doesn’t make much sense to me when it was under warranty. I’ve been driving it for 3 days now and my ego side loves it, my logic side is making my stomach turn. This is my first S class and this is pulling me along. I’ve never been so conflicted since I was a teen. In the next day or so I will get it up on my lift and look for problems.
There is one lesson I did learn, you would have to hold a gun to my head to get me to go back to CarMax! These mega no haggle dealers . . . . . .let’s just say I don’t have any good opinions about their tactics

The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (09-26-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 11:59 PM

Received 311 Likes on 219 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Beautiful car!!! That is an amzing build. I've only seen one S560 with more options than your car, that makes it hard to pass up. But that maintenance history being sketchy...
Robb92914 (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 651 Likes on 488 Posts
W212 FL
It looks like a decent car , the color is very cool too .
If extended warranty is an option I would buy that first not the car
carlosinseattle (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024, 06:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S560 4Matic
I agree that it has a great options list. Missing Night Vision is all I notice. What else?

What specifically is sketchy about the service history that is concerning you?

How many miles?

How much were they asking for it?
Old 09-26-2024, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 787 Likes on 512 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Great build.
Missing night vision, semi-aniline leather, and 2 minor options... so it's almost as good as it could get, and if you don't care about night vision, am not sure how many other S560s you'll find around with the same options. In the past, it took my 9 months to find a 155K MSRP S560 to enjoy and I loved not missing any option.

You posted several times here, why are you worried? Not all dealers post their maintenance records to CarFax... Two of my BMWs have ZERO records on CarFax cause my dealer refuse to post to CarFax (they said they are not paid by CarFax and are not obligated to do so). If you have a good personal relationship with a SA at Mbenz, he can (illegally ) pass to you the service records (but that's a really tough ask unless you really know the GM or salesman there very well). If the car drives well, just keep it! Do an inspection.... If I were you, I wouldn't care about records if the car drives well.. . that's all what matters. S560 is no longer a 2-4 years old car that you need to worry about "perfection"... you are likely 2nd to 4th owner, and docs are already lost for sure and this car has lived nearly 6-7 years on the streets since 2017-2018! There is more to worry about in a 6-7 years old car than a piece of paper showing oil changes records.
The following 3 users liked this post by S_W222:
cdmotor1 (09-26-2024), MBNUT1 (09-26-2024), MrMischief (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Are you going to get an extended warranty?
Old 09-26-2024, 11:44 AM
Veteran: Navy

Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts
Various
That's a nice car.

How many miles, etc. as another asked?
Old 09-26-2024, 04:51 PM

Location: Bucks County PA not far from the Delaware River North & East of Philly by an hour.
‘68 Pontiac convertible, ‘71 Corvette 4 spd, ‘20 Accord Touring, 06 Duramax crew-c
Originally Posted by cdmotor1
I agree that it has a great options list. Missing Night Vision is all I notice. What else?

What specifically is sketchy about the service history that is concerning you?

How many miles?

How much were they asking for it?
They initially advertised it was 52,000 but somehow as it made it around from one dealer to the next this past year another 3,000 plus came about. I have the VMI from MB this week. It shows a lot more than the CarFax or the Experian that CarMax uses. Under the MB warranty several leaks were fixed, the radiator overflow tank, fuel line and something else. Nothing major. I just wish I could see regular service intervals on time. The bouncing around in the last year from different dealers, auctions. It’s just doesn’t show any normal flow from what you normally see in these reports - if there is any such thing as normal these days!

About the only options missing is the rear entertainment, night vision and the lower leg raising right hand rear seat. I don’t know what the benifit is, or where the
semi-aniline leather is when I have the Exclusive Napa Leather?
I have about 6 days left on the return policy to find a reason to believe this car is compromised in some way from the reported “minor accidents” or anything else. I just put it up on the lift and I plan to remove the covers under the car and see if I can find any leaks, overspray, cleaning ect, ect.

It drives great from what I can tell. No strange noises, nothing I can feel. I’m checking the painted areas around the car to see any inconsistencies. A multiphase black light will show me things the naked eye cannot. I’m overnighting trans fluid and motor oil samples to a testing facility to see if there is any materials inconsistent to normal used oil and fluids. I’ll be checking the area under the rear main oil seal for any leaks too. I need to know I’ve done my due diligence as far as reason ability can take me. I have to know by the 9th day of the 10 day policy if it’s going back and if not, I plan to begin an extensive maintenance project since I have it up in the air. Trans service, new brakes, oil, rear and take the tires to get a set of non-run flats.

Rich
Old 09-26-2024, 05:08 PM

My understanding is that the VMI shows everything. So if you don't see ANY oil changes prior to 33,000 miles on the odometer, it's a sure bet that the oil was not changed prior to that. Is that correct? I guess the first owner could have changed the oil and filters himself, but that seems unlikely to me. Your oil sample test results will be interesting...
Old 09-26-2024, 05:10 PM

Received 165 Likes on 137 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Rich,
If would be you I wouldn't buy it, yes it is an optioned car but when it comes to expensive repairs they wouldn't matter, I would try to find a one owner car with a very clean history, even with less options, the cars are out there, patience will eventually pay.
Just my .02
Good luck !
The following 3 users liked this post by tx170754:
C Swenson (Yesterday), carlosinseattle (09-26-2024), MrMischief (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I sure wouldn't buy it without a high quality extended warranty.
Old 09-26-2024, 05:30 PM

Received 165 Likes on 137 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
I would be surprised if at that mileage and history a warranty will be available, but , who knows....
Old 09-26-2024, 05:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2024 GLE 350
This is the type of guy to find a rock chip in 3 months and go " I knew I was right and should have returned it when I had the chance"
rockykhan (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024, 06:31 PM
SPONSOR

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by MrMischief
It drives great from what I can tell. No strange noises, nothing I can feel. I’m checking the painted areas around the car to see any inconsistencies. A multiphase black light will show me things the naked eye cannot. I’m overnighting trans fluid and motor oil samples to a testing facility to see if there is any materials inconsistent to normal used oil and fluids. I’ll be checking the area under the rear main oil seal for any leaks too. I need to know I’ve done my due diligence as far as reason ability can take me. I have to know by the 9th day of the 10 day policy if it’s going back and if not, I plan to begin an extensive maintenance project since I have it up in the air. Trans service, new brakes, oil, rear and take the tires to get a set of non-run flats.

Rich
Do you do this for all of your car purchases or just this one? I have NEVER heard of someone doing this.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
Old 09-26-2024, 06:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S560 4Matic
They initially advertised it was 52,000 but somehow as it made it around from one dealer to the next this past year another 3,000 plus came about. I have the VMI from MB this week. It shows a lot more than the CarFax or the Experian that CarMax uses. Under the MB warranty several leaks were fixed, the radiator overflow tank, fuel line and something else. Nothing major. I just wish I could see regular service intervals on time. The bouncing around in the last year from different dealers, auctions. It’s just doesn’t show any normal flow from what you normally see in these reports - if there is any such thing as normal these days!

About the only options missing is the rear entertainment, night vision and the lower leg raising right hand rear seat. I don’t know what the benifit is, or where the
semi-aniline leather is when I have the Exclusive Napa Leather?
I have about 6 days left on the return policy to find a reason to believe this car is compromised in some way from the reported “minor accidents” or anything else. I just put it up on the lift and I plan to remove the covers under the car and see if I can find any leaks, overspray, cleaning ect, ect.

Rich
The 52,000 plus the 3,000 you refer to....is that the mileage, or the price of the car?
Old 09-26-2024, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
I’m overnighting trans fluid and motor oil samples to a testing facility to see if there is any materials inconsistent to normal used oil and fluids. I’ll be checking the area under the rear main oil seal for any leaks too. I need to know I’ve done my due diligence as far as reason ability can take me. I have to know by the 9th day of the 10 day policy if it’s going back and if not
Seriously????!!!
So you don't mind choosing a car with an accident history (you knew that before you took it from CarMax), but you'd do ALL the above? Someone who does all of that would be the kind of a guy who checks for swirl-marks, wrap/PPF the car or look for a car that was wrapped since brand new. I don't see how you'd accept a car accident incident, but goes all the way to do an oil test/assessment. Take it easy man.. I repeat, it is a car that has been on the roads for 7 years now; it not going to be perfect, but if it drives good and passes a regular dealer inspection, just buy it man if you like it (it's not a new Maybach - no offense, but it's the truth).

Last edited by S_W222; 09-26-2024 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Do you do this for all of your car purchases or just this one? I have NEVER heard of someone doing this.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
Nope, never even close! This endeavor makes me nervous after hearing all the horror stories and the tens of thousands - sometimes it’s tens of thousands more than the car costs. You never heard of someone doing this? I’m simply doing what a good though inspector would do and then some. And I’m doing this because I can.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by S_W222
Seriously????!!!
So you don't mind choosing a car with an accident history (you knew that before you took it from CarMax), but you'd do ALL the above? Someone who does all of that would be the kind of a guy who checks for swirl-marks, wrap/PPF the car or look for a car that was wrapped since brand new. I don't see how you'd accept a car accident incident, but goes all the way to do an oil test/assessment. Take it easy man.. I repeat, it is a car that has been on the roads for 7 years now; it not going to be perfect, but if it drives good and passes a regular dealer inspection, just buy it man if you like it (it's not a new Maybach - no offense, but it's the truth).
I’ve read through over 100 cars for sale across the country, care to guess just how many reports say there was a minor accident? It’s quite possible some driver just backed into this car and just screwed up the bumper cover, could that be a minor incident? Is it possible that a PO may have hit something like a parking lot concrete stop? A curb in front of a store or something in the road? What about what happened to me once when a truck tire rolled off a trailer and smashed my grill? I just want to see if I can determine if the “minor” accident was in fact minor or otherwise.
It’s really not a big deal to get a fluid or oil sample checked, the service will text me that day with the results for $89.
Old 09-26-2024, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by BenzV12
It looks like a decent car , the color is very cool too .
If extended warranty is an option I would buy that first not the car
How do you buy a warranty without a car? Or is there a joke in there?
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’ve read through over 100 cars for sale across the country, care to guess just how many reports say there was a minor accident? It’s quite possible some driver just backed into this car and just screwed up the bumper cover, could that be a minor incident? Is it possible that a PO may have hit something like a parking lot concrete stop? A curb in front of a store or something in the road? What about what happened to me once when a truck tire rolled off a trailer and smashed my grill? I just want to see if I can determine if the “minor” accident was in fact minor or otherwise.
It’s really not a big deal to get a fluid or oil sample checked, the service will text me that day with the results for $89.
That’s fair… and AMOF; I would NEVER ever believe CarFax minor accidents. It’s the biggest scam ever. See this car below? THIS WAS OUR 2020 X5, which we sold 3 years ago, a few months after the accident. You know what CarFax reported? MINOR ACCIDENT …
You know that the total bill that insurance paid to fix it (parts and labor only)? ~$32,000 to the body shop, every single part in the front end had to be replaced, including sensors/cameras, engine fan, and a few engine compartment parts/trims…… and the other car was totaled… —> Then minor accident on carfax : )

Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 651 Likes on 488 Posts
W212 FL
That's scary , I mean Carfax's attitude . Glad , you walked away from that accident . I don't what's major accident to Carfax if that X5 was a minor one . Probably airbags deployment
Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM

That’s fair… and AMOF; I would NEVER ever believe CarFax minor accidents. It’s the biggest scam ever. See this car below? THIS WAS OUR 2020 X5, which we sold 3 years ago, a few months after the accident. You know what CarFax reported? MINOR ACCIDENT …
You know that the total bill that insurance paid to fix it (parts and labor only)? ~$32,000 to the body shop, every single part in the front end had to be replaced, including sensors/cameras, engine fan, and a few engine compartment parts/trims…… and the other car was totaled… —> Then minor accident on carfax : )
The body shop that worked on my previous S-Class told me that Carfax's minor or major accident designation is based on frame damage. If the frame or subframe sustained damage, then it's reported as major, otherwise minor. I've never tried to verify that information independently. Normally Carfax will say whether or not the airbags went off. BUT...that's all dependent on the body shop reporting the incident to Carfax.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
The body shop that worked on my previous S-Class told me that Carfax's minor or major accident designation is based on frame damage. If the frame or subframe sustained damage, then it's reported as major, otherwise minor. I've never tried to verify that information independently. Normally Carfax will say whether or not the airbags went off. BUT...that's all dependent on the body shop reporting the incident to Carfax.
There was definitely some damage that impacted the that area/frame more towards the front... however, it is to the best interest of workshop to make their bill matches exactly what they think is the limit for the insurance before they total a car, just so they get to work on the car and get their money.

Want even another scary reality? 3 out of the 5 body shops that I interviewed told me that they will NOT report the accident and its detail to CarFax (but said that insurance may or may not decide to report it, and in that case it's mostly minor). In other words, there are cases wherein an accident will never get reported. I chose a good body-shop that didn't offer the CarFax trick, cause I wanted an honest body shop, and I had no interest in scramming future buyers either. it ended up being reported as a minor accident though. Also, I posted here 2 years ago when I found a nice S560 with clean carfax (before I found mine).. I tried to cross- check with the dealer where it was serviced, and the SA told me that he can't print records for me but can tell me this car has been well serviced but they sent it once to a bodyshop. I called that body shop and found that the car was twice for 2 accidents, one of which was a >25K bill for replacing the entire rear quarter panel (meaning metal was cut), 2 doors and front fender. CARFAX WAS CLEAN!

Last edited by S_W222; Yesterday at 10:08 AM.
carlosinseattle (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy

Received 204 Likes on 166 Posts
SL63
Today’s car manufacturing has us in a place where if you breathe on a car more than lightly, you are looking at a $1,000.00 body repair bill. If you get out of any body shop with a collision bill for less than $2,000.00 you should thank you pr lucky stars.
The following 2 users liked this post by MB2timer:
carlosinseattle (Yesterday), MrMischief (Today)
Old Today, 12:34 AM

Seriously????!!!
I choose to reserve judgement for myself in some cases like this one. Before there ever was a Carfax, people bought cars that may have been in an accident and many times they never could tell and they lived happily ever after. Others may have been less fortunate and get stuck because they have no idea what “due diligence” means.

You may not want to “bother” as I have, but I rather enjoy digging into some cars. I have all the right tools, a 2 post, 10,000 lb lift and I have the time, so what’s the big deal? I already got the oil and fluid analysis by text, No significant contaminants found. By the way, the filters were bagged and used for this test, so that issue is put to bed. I still have until next Thursday to return this car for a refund, meanwhile I have a 9am Tuesday appointment at Carmax for their Benz expert from an outside source test drive the car. Remember that I still have the CarMax bumper to bumper 90 days or 4,000 mile warranty. If this vibration is denied then Uber will be called and Carmax can write me a check for a refund.
I didn’t get where I’m at today making poor decisions. I’m buying this car for nearly $100,000 less than the 1st owner paid. If I can get 6 or more years out of this car without exceeding 20% of what I paid for it, (in major repairs), if I continue to maintain its great looks - I will have succeeded. I don’t have to worry what a future buyer will think about “accidents” - I will simply donate it to Kars4kids and get a tax write-off exceeding any trade in or resale value I can get.

Rich

Last edited by MrMischief; Today at 12:38 AM.