GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Thule Force XT XL Roof Box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2024 | 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Thule Force XT XL Roof Box

Got the Thule Force XT XL with the Thule WingBar Edge….. The fit is great, the box is awesome and aerodynamic… was so glad that I can enter and exit my garage with box installed and car on regular Comfort height.

No whistle wind/noise at all with the Thule WingBar Edge cross-bar design - well worth the investment.

The fit is quite universal, and fits BMW SUVs too.

The following 2 users liked this post by S_W222:
q2bruiser2 (09-29-2024), Splaktar (Today)
Old 09-30-2024 | 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Amazing you can pull into and out of the garage with it on!
The following 3 users liked this post by SW20S:
OldManAndHisCar (Today), Splaktar (Today)
Old 09-30-2024 | 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by SW20S
Amazing you can pull into and out of the garage with it on!
Yup, I never expected it to do so, but I know that I have the best chances with the very low profile of the Thule WingBar Edge cross-bar. I have about 4” of clearance, so with other designs it would have been very tight.

Frankly I got the Thule WingBar Edge cross-bar not for the low profile originally, but for the aerodynamics and low noise but it helped with the vertical clearance too.
The following users liked this post:
SW20S (09-30-2024)
Old Yesterday | 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update/Feedback for those who need it or care about the roof-box:

I just came back from a long 7 hour 550 miles trip, with 4 people in the car, and 8 large suitcases/luggage + 2 carry-ons (and few small bags).

The roof box handled this very long trip really really really well. Not much wind noise. I was shocked that the MPG didn't drop much. I averaged 24.5 MPG driving between 75-80 mph the entire trip (almost just as good as the same highway MPG without it, which was also 24-26 MPG). I think part of it is the very low profile of the Thule WingBar Edge cross-bar. I was able to access mostly any parking/garage areas with an 8ft limit just fine (with suspension on regular Comfort height settings).

The roof-box is actually spacious, I had one suitecase plus 2 carryons, and one large cooler (and it could have taken much more items around the luggage, like back-bags, etc). Rest of luggage was in the 3rd row area which was folded, and 2+2 passengers sat very comfortably with the captain chair seats. We have never been able to fit that many luggage items inside the car with the X7, and with added space that this roof-box gave us, we almost DOUBLED what we could carry with us driving back to hour primary home 500 miles away, non-stop.

Also, the range was impressive… after driving 500 miles, car showed that I still have ~90 miles range of gas… meaning I could have driven almost ~600 miles non-stop. Loving this car so far. Suspension was more like a dream and soft-cloud - softer than the X7 on highways, though not sportier. If time goes back, I think I still like the new X7 slightly more for it’s technology at least, but GLS wins on the cabin and practicality, and comfort side of things. Slope is important, I know, but the car averaged the same MPG and overall slope delta is the same both ways (I had heavier luggage on the way back home though but that made no measurable difference). Not sure if wind made it a wash, cause my EV for that same route always shows that I saved 2-4% range due to wind on the way back, and the opposite going the other way.

Last edited by S_W222; Yesterday at 11:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by S_W222:
Splaktar (Today), SW20S (Today)
Old Yesterday | 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
500 miles with four adults is an accomplishment in itself!

Nice to hear about the box, as well.
Often tempted.
Splaktar (Today)
Old Today | 02:44 AM

2024 GLS 580, 2022 Sprinter-based Winnebago View 24D, 2024 Bronco Raptor
That's a great result! Thank you for sharing. I just picked up the MB OEM cross bars this week for $770. I haven't even bought a box or anything to put up there. Now it sounds like I might have made a mistake and should look at Thule crossbars + box.

Though I haven't yet read anyone's review of the OEM crossbars other than they seem to sit either too far back or forward (I forget which).
Old Today | 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Splaktar
That's a great result! Thank you for sharing. I just picked up the MB OEM cross bars this week for $770. I haven't even bought a box or anything to put up there. Now it sounds like I might have made a mistake and should look at Thule crossbars + box.

Though I haven't yet read anyone's review of the OEM crossbars other than they seem to sit either too far back or forward (I forget which).
You're welcome - hopping this would help someone one day.

You don't need the OEM cross bars, I wouldn't use those and I went through this process myself reviewing all options around... I intended to write a thread but thought it doesn't worth the effort and I can speak to the cross-bar and box both at the same time. But anyway, the OEM crossbars have ONE advantage only (just one), which is the ease of install and removal because they are designed specifically for the car. However, the Thule cross bars are designed by this Swedish company, who are specialized in this field, it is a universal fit meaning it will also fit almost (most) other cars and SUVs and you will get to keep it lifetime including your future cars/SUVs, or your other car brands you own today. 2nd, the Thule WindBar Edge has a VERY LOW PROFILE... and have an aerodynamic geometry with wind noise cancelation strip, and they really really really work well. The OEM is too bulky and also sets too high cause they want you to be able to open the roof, but who cares about opening the roof when you have a box during a highway trip. I'd rather have a low profile, stable and low wind noise system than anything else.

Also, OEM is 770 USD.. but the Thule WingBar Edge cross bar sells for 600 USD (or you can find them maybe for a discount through a local shop supplier. Facebook aftermarket probably for 300-500 USD pre-owned). For the Thule Box, I'd get the Thule Force XT (XL is large enough but you can also try XXL). For 700-800 USD, there is not any other option that is better for this price. You can go with the Thule Motion 3 XXL if you need much more space but this box is taller, larger and not as aerodynamic and also hits the 1100 USD.

Last edited by S_W222; Today at 08:21 AM.
Old Today | 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
@S_W222 did you look at the AMG cargo box? Mostly just curious because I love the look of them but maybe functionality isn't great and I'm sure the price is more vs a comparative Thule box. A few months ago I saw a C63 wagon (Vancouver) with a paint-matched AMG roof box, it looked very nice.
​​​​​​

Last edited by wildta; Today at 08:44 AM.
Old Today | 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wildta
@S_W222 did you look at the AMG cargo box? Mostly just curious because I love the look of them but maybe functionality isn't great and I'm sure the price is more vs a comparative Thule box.
​​​​​​
I don't think the price is comparable to the Thule Force XT (I think the AMG box was much more expensive without any additional benefits). Also, I was mostly interested in practicality and functionality than cosmetics. The Thule box is light (I can actually left it from the ground by myself and load it on the car without even anyone else helping me, but still strong shell and metal enforced floor, and I am not a muscular gym guy but am fit). Anyone with normal/good health can install it and remove it without help. That was one of the main selling points. Also, search youtube on some of the features of the box and also Thule cross bar designs. I like that the box open from both sides and has hinges that would allow that and ease with opening and closing, with a keylock also on both sides. The fact it is Thule branded allows me to move it to my other cars or a BMW SUV without being stuck with an AMG branded box forever. It also comes with straps and interior built-in lugs to help tie down bags; and the way that the box is attached to the cross-bars and how well-designs those PowerClick Clamp for Thule Force (search them) was another big selling point.

Everything from the cross-bar clamps to the box clamps has a built-in hand-operated torque-measured lock system so that the perfect torque is applied on each locking point (without using any tools too, all hand operated) make things much easier. Most of the locking/tie points "click" when you apply the right amount of torque. Thule engineers knew exactly how to design this whole thing together.
Old Today | 09:22 AM

2024 GLS580 / 2017 E300 / 2014 ML350
@S_W222 Did you consider a hitch cargo carrier instead of the roof box? We're currently researching our options and trying to limit the chances of renting a trailer coming home from visiting family.
Old Today | 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Originally Posted by S_W222
Thule engineers knew exactly how to design this whole thing together.
I had a Thule system prior to owning an SUV, and I fully agree. They have always been solid, thoughtfully designed products.
Old Today | 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dynamicpulse
@S_W222 Did you consider a hitch cargo carrier instead of the roof box? We're currently researching our options and trying to limit the chances of renting a trailer coming home from visiting family.
I thought about it; and I still need one to be honest. Issue with it is if am traveling, staying somewhere else, another home or a hotel or visiting with others, it prevents me from parking in tight spaces with the hitch installed and items still loaded on the hitch, With the roofbox, I can keep items inside the box and it's key-locked.

I do however still need a cargo hitch so I can also use the 3rd row for more passengers space as needed.... I couldn't find any options at all other than some Amazon ones with high profile (like 14"+) to keep suitcases or luggage secured. Did you have any good options you found?

This was the only option I found with good space and practicality:
Amazon Amazon
Old Today | 10:08 AM

This was the only option I found with good space and practicality:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...70FGTW4Q&psc=1
That's the same one we were looking at. Thankfully we shouldn't need to stay overnight or leave anything unattended when traveling with the extra cargo.
Old Today | 10:30 AM

W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Originally Posted by wildta
@S_W222 did you look at the AMG cargo box? Mostly just curious because I love the look of them but maybe functionality isn't great and I'm sure the price is more vs a comparative Thule box. A few months ago I saw a C63 wagon (Vancouver) with a paint-matched AMG roof box, it looked very nice.
​​​​​​

$$$$$$$ and very low internal volume.
Old Today | 10:32 AM

The issue there is you can not access the rear of the car. We have hitch bike rack (Thule), it is a PITA and when we are going anywhere long while we can lower the rack, get into the hatch...it becomes a pain. In those instances (going to a race or what ever) we are blessed to be able to put the hitch mount on the RV,,,,

As for day to day (for bikes) I use a roof rack on one of my wagons. I would rather not get rear ended by some uninsured person taking out two $15k bicycles.
Old Today | 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
The issue there is you can not access the rear of the car. We have hitch bike rack (Thule), it is a PITA and when we are going anywhere long while we can lower the rack, get into the hatch...it becomes a pain. In those instances (going to a race or what ever) we are blessed to be able to put the hitch mount on the RV,,,,

As for day to day (for bikes) I use a roof rack on one of my wagons. I would rather not get rear ended by some uninsured person taking out two $15k bicycles.
That's ultimately my concern. We don't get into the rear often on our road trips, but it happens at least once. I've been avoiding the roof box due to childhood experiences with a sail in the 90s. Yes, the boxes have improved and the GLS is better equipped to handle the roof box than our old minivan. I just need to accept it as reality
Old Today | 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's the same one we were looking at. Thankfully we shouldn't need to stay overnight or leave anything unattended when traveling with the extra cargo.
Well.. now that u poked me... I just clicked (Buy) and purchased that cargo trailer minutes ago. It's arriving Wednesday, and I will be testing it on our next road trip Sunday with 6 passengers this time (so I'll get to avoid the 5x8' Uhaul that I was going to consider along but will still need roof-box).

I'll report back to all of you here about my experience with it.

By the way, why do you all think you won't be able to access the trunk? Looking at it, the trailer hitch in the GLS is low enough that when the trailer cargo is empty, I should still be able to access and unload the trunk area and the door should open while the trailer hitch cargo carrier is still installed. I think I studied the dimensions carefully and pretty sure that's the case even with this high rail 14" basket. Did I miss anything?

Last edited by S_W222; Today at 10:58 AM.
Dynamicpulse (Today)
Old Today | 10:58 AM

Many years ago we went to the UP for XC skiing. Got into a sleet storm near Madison WI. We could not get into the box for three days up in IronWood......LOL. I think that was when I have up on the box....it was a **** show.
mikapen (Today)
Old Today | 11:00 AM

By the way, why do you all think you won't be able to access the trunk? Looking at it, the trailer hitch in the GLS is low enough that when the trailer cargo is empty, I should still be able to access and unload the trunk area and the door should open while the trailer hitch cargo carrier is still installed. I think I studied the dimensions carefully and pretty sure that's the case even with this high rail 14" basket. Did I miss anything?
My concern is trunk access during the trip. Our road trips are 12-13 hours. Without fail we need to access the trunk at least once to get something, cushion a rattle or move something into the trunk from the main cabin.
OldManAndHisCar (Today)
Old Today | 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My concern is trunk access during the trip. Our road trips are 12-13 hours. Without fail we need to access the trunk at least once to get something, cushion a rattle or move something into the trunk from the main cabin.
With the 3rd row up, the trunk area is too small that it can be access just as good from the cabin itself. Worst case is to fold the 3rd row and then you have just as much access to that area as opening the trunk. Also again, I still think that the rear tailgate should open (unless the basket is loaded up with tall items then yeah I see your point). But I wouldn't load it up with tall items to begin with regardless.
Old Today | 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
@S_W222 when I go to the Thule website, It says the Thule WingBar Edge cross bar fits the GLS, but not the GLE.
Can you guess why that might be?
Old Today | 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen
@S_W222 when I go to the Thule website, It says the Thule WingBar Edge cross bar fits the GLS, but not the GLE.
Can you guess why that might be?
Are you sure? Is the GLE that much narrower than the GLS? The wingBar Edge I have seems to have enough room to adjust (I know that I have at least +/- 3 inches in width (so it should fit SUVs with 3 inches wider or narrower rails).
Old Today | 01:46 PM

They have excellent customer service if you just want to give them a call and ask them. In general when I see that I assume it is only because they have never tested that particular item on that particular vehicle. On my w-212e class I have a rock that is supposedly not compatible that works perfectly. I have Thule rails mounted to Rocky Mountain bicycle mounts.

I cannot recall if our GLS has Factory cross bars or just the rails on the sides. Worst case scenario you just buy rails that can bolt in to the mounts on your roof and attach a carrier to that