Problem with transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E300 4matic
Unhappy Problem with transmission

Hi guys,

I have this 2017 E300, the milages is approx 200K KM, transmission oil change is every 60-70K.

Couple of months ago I was driving in the highway, I noticed my engine revving and the gear is on N with the following two messages in the dashboard
"reversing not possible service required"
"Service required do not shift gears"

I parked the car put it on D and drove without any issues.
post that It started to show up especially during u turn or if am taking the left in middle of intersection. the car switch from D to N then reconnect to D.

I took it to workshop they told me it is TEHCM, they replace it with used one and the same issue happen. now I am woundring is it the TEHCM or it is the entire gearbox that need replacement.
another mechanics I called and informed him about the issue told me that usually the gearshift , the one by need to be replaced.

If anyone faced similar issue please share your thoughts.
thanks
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Given the symptoms you’re describing, the issue might extend beyond just the Transmission Electronic Control Module . Persistent shifting problems, especially when the vehicle switches between Drive and Neutral during maneuvers like U-turns or left turns, could indicate potential issues with the transmission solenoids, which control the flow of transmission fluid. Additionally, faulty wiring or connectors to the transmission control system might be causing intermittent communication problems. Wear and tear on the gearbox itself, especially at higher mileage, could also contribute to these irregular shifting behaviors. It's also possible that there’s an issue with the vehicle’s software that manages the transmission operations, necessitating an update or reflash. I recommend retrieving fault codes from both the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and the Engine Control Unit (ECU) to identify any underlying issues. These modules can store diagnostic information that points directly to the malfunctioning components. While taking your car to a mechanic is a reliable option, if you prefer to diagnose the problem yourself, investing in a full system scanner like youcanic’s full system scanner would be beneficial as it can access all related systems comprehensively. Be cautious with basic OBD2 scanners such as the Actron CP9690A, which may only scan engine-related codes and could miss transmission-specific faults. Have you had a chance to check the condition and connections of the transmission solenoids or inspect for any stored codes related to the transmission system?
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
W221/W222/W213/X290
Originally Posted by Eng.A
Hi guys,

I have this 2017 E300, the milages is approx 200K KM, transmission oil change is every 60-70K.

Couple of months ago I was driving in the highway, I noticed my engine revving and the gear is on N with the following two messages in the dashboard
"reversing not possible service required"
"Service required do not shift gears"

I parked the car put it on D and drove without any issues.
post that It started to show up especially during u turn or if am taking the left in middle of intersection. the car switch from D to N then reconnect to D.

I took it to workshop they told me it is TEHCM, they replace it with used one and the same issue happen. now I am woundring is it the TEHCM or it is the entire gearbox that need replacement.
another mechanics I called and informed him about the issue told me that usually the gearshift , the one by need to be replaced.

If anyone faced similar issue please share your thoughts.
thanks
My brother had the same issue with his E300. The MB dealership in CT had to replace his conductor plate and the entire valve body/solenoid mechanism. Without warranty he was looking at a 4,800$ bill without labor.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by Billyismyname
My brother had the same issue with his E300. The MB dealership in CT had to replace his conductor plate and the entire valve body/solenoid mechanism. Without warranty he was looking at a 4,800$ bill without labor.
Wow! I bet he didn't even get a kiss with that screwing! $4800 is about twice what it should have cost based on a 722.9 7G+ transmission. Was his a 9-speed? Maybe those are more.
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 827 Likes on 656 Posts
AFAIK all US W213 models have 9 speed transmissions. 9G-TRONIC 725.0
The following users liked this post:
CarFan1 (Today)
Old Today, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 212 Posts
2019 E300
I borrowed the following post from another website:

7G Tronic Transmission Problems – 722.9xxx

Below you will find a list of common problems with the Mercedes-Benz 722.9xx 7G Tronic 7-Speed Automatic Transmission.

This list if for reference only. If you are experiencing problems with your Mercedes-Benz it is important to also read the fault codes from the automatic transmission unit via the OBD-II port located under the dashboard. In order to do that, you will need a scanner that can read TCU fault codes on a Mercedes. Any of the following scanners (Amazon links provided) should work:

The 722.9 transmission was installed in Mercedes-Benz models as early as 2004. By 2008 it replaced the 722.6 5-Speed transmissions on all MB models. There are a few common issues with this transmission, but the majority of the problems do not require a complete transmission overhaul. Replacing the defective solenoid, conductor plate or the valve body is all that needs to be performed to fix the majority of problems in the 7-Speed transmission.

This is a list of common problems with the 7-speed 722.9xx transmission:
  • Transmission does not shift gears or work properly until it warms up.
  • Delayed or unpredicted shifting of gears. Upgrading the TCU software and resetting the transmission shift points may solve this problem. You will need either the dealer or an auto repair shop that has
    Mercedes Star Diagnostic C3 or C4 scanner Mercedes Star Diagnostic C3 or C4 scanner
  • Transmission slips between 1st and 2nd gear. As soon as this is detected by the TCU, transmission goes into limp mode. Turning off and then off the engine may temporarily return the transmission to normal operation.
  • Conductor plate defective. Replacement required which can cost between $2000-$3000. The first generation of the 722.9 may require the replacement of the valve body as well.
  • Accelerating from a stop light can cause the car to get stuck in 2nd gear, limp mode.
  • Standing water in contact with the housing can cause damage to the transmission housing if left in contact for several weeks.
  • Hard shifting trasnmission problems.

Defective
valve body valve body
or the
conductor plate conductor plate
are usually the cause for these problems.

The most common fault codes of the 7 Speed Automatic Transmission are listed below.

7G Tronic Fault Codes
  • P0717 Input Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal
  • P0718 Input / Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Intermittent
  • P0700 Transmission Control System TCS Malfunction
  • P0748 Pressure Control Solenoid ‘A’ Electrical
  • P0778 Pressure Control Solenoid ‘B’ Electrical
  • P0798 Pressure Control Solenoid ‘C’ Electrical
  • P2716 Pressure Control Solenoid “D” Electrical
  • P2725 Pressure Control Solenoid (E)
  • P2734 Pressure Control Solenoid ‘F’ Electrical
  • P2810 P2759
  • P0717 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor A Circuit No Signal
  • U0101 – no communication with the TCM

This problem is usually fixed by replacing the conductor plate or the valve body which depends on the VGS version. If a new TCU is installed, it will require programming to match the VIN of the vehicle.

Related Failure Codes
Error Code 0717 – The signal from component Y3 / 8n1 (turbine speed sensor (VGS)) is unavailable.
Error code 0718 – The component Y3 / 8n1 (turbine speed sensor (VGS)) is defective.
Error code 2767 – The signal from component Y3 / 8n2 (Internal speed sensor (VGS)) is unavailable.
Error code 2768 – The component Y3 / 8n2 (Internal speed sensor (VGS)) is defective.
Old Today, 09:11 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
As UA549 indicated there is no 7 speed transmission for the W213. It only has three transmission options: 9G-Tronic, a six speed manual, and a nine-speed AMG SPEEDSHIFT gearbox exclusively for the AMG model.