GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Running Boards for 2024 GLE63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stronger than Time G63, AMG GLE63s, GMC Denali 2500
Running Boards for 2024 GLE63s

Just purchased a 2024 Alpine Grey color GLE63s. I see several with or without Running Boards. The OEM appear to be only 5" wide and not sure if they are adequate width for a step. The car is being shipped from Florida and wanted to get some feedback on height of the car and need for Running Boards vs not. My wife is about 5'4 and she will be the only driver.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 759 Likes on 564 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by Seawater
Just purchased a 2024 Alpine Grey color GLE63s. I see several with or without Running Boards. The OEM appear to be only 5" wide and not sure if they are adequate width for a step. The car is being shipped from Florida and wanted to get some feedback on height of the car and need for Running Boards vs not. My wife is about 5'4 and she will be the only driver.
5'4" is probably the cusp of usefulness of the running boards. Do you have winters and a lot of rain where you live?
Old Today, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLE 53 SUV
Originally Posted by wildta
5'4" is probably the cusp of usefulness of the running boards. Do you have winters and a lot of rain where you live?
IMO running boards add greatly to the GLE's looks, but are functionally useless except to help small kids climb aboard. I recommend them for the looks.
Old Today, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stronger than Time G63, AMG GLE63s, GMC Denali 2500
Yes, you are right about the 5' 4" being at the cusp. No snow here but quite a bit of rain.

I was hoping to get more functionality out of them, than just the looks. They do add to the look though.

Hard to put your step on the Factory ones and wondering electric deployable Running Boards may be the way to go. Have not seen any that Mercedes offers so may have to find decent aftermarket ones.

Last edited by Seawater; Today at 09:20 AM.
Old Today, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Originally Posted by RMiles
IMO running boards add greatly to the GLE's looks, but are functionally useless except to help small kids climb aboard. I recommend them for the looks.
The only times I have used mine were during a major rainstorm and had to hop over an overflowing curb, and hopping over slush during a trip to the mountains. My kid uses them to hop in and out but doesn't really need it either since kids love climbing anyway. I'm SoCal based so I mostly have them for aesthetics like the other user mentioned above.
Old Today, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,223 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
My wife is 5'3" and doesn't like running boards.

I think the running boards look good with some colors but not others.
For instance, if you have a black package, the lines might conflict on a darker car. But without the black package, they seem to enhance the lines.
Eye of the beholder and all that.
Old Today, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Originally Posted by mikapen
My wife is 5'3" and doesn't like running boards.

I think the running boards look good with some colors but not others.
For instance, if you have a black package, the lines might conflict on a darker car. But without the black package, they seem to enhance the lines.
Eye of the beholder and all that.
I've seen a few instances where owners have custom painted them like this:
https://mbworld.org/forums/market/900321
(side note: this is fully loaded with CCB and seems like a really great deal)

I had thought about custom painting mine but I think the sharp contrast of the brushed aluminum against black has grown on me.