SL/R129: A good driving get away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2005 | 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
A good driving get away

It was our anneversary (18 years) this weekend.

My wife had a great idea to get away to Vancouver Island.

We stayed two nights at the Sooke Harbour House. Rated the # 5 Small Hotel world wide (under 100 rooms) in a travel magazine. Expensive ... but veeery romantic . It has Spa facilities but we did not partake in that.

One day we drove 1 hour further up the road to Port Renfrew. Hiked down to Botanical Beach. We saw the tidal pools because it happened to be low tide. We also hiked in to see the suspension bride at China Beach. Drove back for dinner at the Sooke Harbour House that night. What a great day that was.

If you are a wine conosuir ... there is a 100 page wine list at the Sooke Harbour House.

What a great weekend get away.

The roads to Port Renfrew are winding. No traffic. So we could drive as slow or as fast as we wanted.

I found that in certain moods slow (the speed limit) was just as satisfying as faster driving.

Nice driving, good weather, good food & drink, great romantic hotel.

Our hotel room rate got us breakfast on your beach side room balcony overlooking the ocean, picknic lunch packed for us and a caraf of port to enjoy in our room each day. Nice touches.

By the way # 2 Small Hotel was the Wickaninnish Inn and Spa in Tofino. Also on Vancouver Island. Also veeeeery romatic . The drive from Nanaimo to there is a 3 hours through very twisty and mountainous roads. Lots of fun.

My recommendation. Spend some time exploring Vancouver Islan if you have the time. Good SL 500 driving awaits!
Old 06-13-2005 | 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Looks a nice place...