SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Follow-up Diagnosis on soft top controller

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow-up Diagnosis on soft top controller

Hi. I posted 2 days ago on my soft top problem ( top and roll bar lights on when switch pushed and no action by either ). I have spent the last 2 days surfing and wanted to re-post current and new information. Hope someone miht have sme perspective.

1. 96 sl500. I have 38 pin diag connector. Tried the short pin 21 to gnd pin1 and read code form top switch light - but i do not get any flashes

2. found the control unit ( located in rear seat storage area ) took it out, pulled boards buit no visable signs of blowing or burning out. windows go up down by window switch which is also controlled by the unit so seems somewhat functional.

3. i have found a place that rebuild units for 495.00 and offers free diagnostic service which mught be the safe/fast way to go ( email me for info if u need it )

3. my online manual says there is also a roll bar controller. Is that true for a 96 or is it all one controller ? I get different info from online sources

4. i have the tool to manually lift the top ( thin 10mm wrench ) can someone email me the procedure or point me to an online source ? ( sorry i do not have the car's owners manual )

5. anything else i can try . ? thanks tom.